Saturday, July 30, 2011

China Glaze Ahoy! -- out of my comfort zone

Happy weekend, y'all!

The China Glaze Anchors Away collection confused me profoundly. OK, maybe not profoundly, but enough to make me think I would like certain polishes only to see them in person, change my mind, and start eyeing the other ones in the bunch. Ahoy! is definitely one of the colors I eventually started eyeing, and I bought it last month at Ulta at a local NB meetup before we went out for Mexican food. (For the record, there was no enabling at all from the other ladies, just my pathetically low resistance to anything nautical.)

Two years ago, my OPI-loving, non-pink-wearing, creme hoor self would have passed this one over without blinking.
China Glaze? PINK? Jelly? GLASS FLECK? Ha! Not happening. Nope.






Not one bit.



I promise I'm not staring at my nails right now.






This was three coats for full opacity with SV. If it's the jelly look you're after, you can stop at one coat, when the base color looks a lot lighter. At three coats, the base is a warm-leaning fuchsia/raspberry, deeper than these pics can show. (The culprit HAS to be the glass fleck freaking out my phone.)

For something that is planets away from my comfort zone, I like this a lot on me. I've had it on for a day already and I only wish the base color was cooler than it appears in some lights; other than that, the glass fleck is gorgeous. I think I'll hang on it! Am I broken, or are my tastes evolving? --Don't worry, I'm not going to start wearing glitter any time soon!

Anchors Away was this spring's offering from China Glaze. The whole caboodle is very very ETF, and you should still be able to find them at Ulta. I would say to grab them before the Metros come in, but Ulta charges too much for ChG and you can get a much better deal online from an e-tailer on Amazon, eBay, or 8ty8/H2T/VNS/etc., especially if you order more than one polish.

Y'all up to anything good this weekend? I took my dad to the movies this afternoon as a delayed Father's Day outing -- I kept trying to get him to go see "Captain America," but he opted for "Cowboys & Aliens." Oh boy. Let me do you a solid and tell you to go see "Captain America" instead ... unless you're like me and want to have babies with pretty much every other guy in "Cowboys & Aliens," it's disappointingly bleh, and even then, it's still crazy underwhelming. Oh well. They can't all be winners. :(

I also went to the Verizon store to see what, if anything, could be done about my phone. Sadly, I'm not eligible for another upgrade until December, so I'll have to purchase a replacement in the meantime. Until I decide on one,
though, I'll do my best to keep the pics coming. :)

Have a good Sunday, and thank you for reading!

3 comments:

  1. "Cowboys & Aliens" is disappointingly bleh? I'm so sad, it looks so good. I've been excited about it for like, a year. Ever since I first became aware of its existence.

    I bought half of the Anchors Away collection (including Ahoy) because I need all things nautical. Luckily I like them all, but this is definitely the star.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahoy stole my heart too! Not typically my "type," but she is gooooorgeous! And it's definitely the glass-fleck freaking out your camera. I tried to do comparison pics of this with Strawberry Fields and it just...was bad. LOL

    Don't feel so bad about the movie. We saw Captain America on Wednesday and it was so incredibly awful! I loved Iron Man, Iron Man 2, The Hulk, and even Thor, but Captain America? Yikes...lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Madeline: Oh hi! I'm excited to see you here too. :D Yeah, it wasn't that good -- between the source material, Favreau, and the cast, I was hoping it would be better than the sum of its parts. It wasn't. Something was missing. Maybe if you go see it you can identify it better than I can! :/ OMG, I have an embarrassing amount of nautical polishes, most of which I haven't worn yet. AHHHH maybe we can do a nautical week? :)

    @Courtney: IT'S SO PRETTEH. I do think the glass fleck makes the entire Anchors Ahoy collection. I'm not sure what it is about that finish that suits those nautical themed polishes! :) Aw, sorry you didn't like Cap! Admittedly he is one of the more frustrating superheroes to, I guess, merchandise? Can't think of the word, haha! I'm so ready for that "Conan" remake, though. JASON MOMOA. GUH.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.