Thursday, July 21, 2011

China Glaze Frostbite, my "Captain America" midnight mani

My Summer 2011 movie season comes to an end tonight with Marvel's "Captain America: The First Avenger." I hope it's EPIC WIN, kinda like this color! (Just not like the photos you're about to see. Those are EPIC FAIL.)

If you know anything about Cap, then I hope you at least giggle at my pick! If you do not, I suggest you locate, with the quickness,


(1) a picture of Chris Evans' chest (this won't help, but helloooooooo.), and
(2) your nearest movie theater so you too can give Marvel Studios your money this weekend.


I'm not into nail art or anything like that on myself, so here's my super simple, rinky-dink "Captain America: TFA" mani, something we've all seen a kajillion times, China Glaze Frostbite. And after these photos, I guess it's a good thing we've seen it a kajillion times!


Early morning sunlight. Um, no.

The pics were so washed out, I thought doctoring them in Picnik would be my best bet. :( My kingdom country for a real digital camera! And PhotoShop! (Cap would smack me so hard right now.) Here is one attempt.


Still ... not quite there ... so I waited for afternoon light.


*Much* better! But then in the shade ... not so much.




Later in the evening I drove my mom to Ross, and while browsing the home decor section, I decided to try snapping a pic in the store lighting. Color me silly ...




SUCCESS! This was a smack-me-in-the-face reminder that different lighting obviously yields different results for different finishes and colors. In this case, artificial was best, followed by afternoon sunlight. Until now, I've been relying on morning and afternoon sun 99% of the time.

I used my standard three coats of Frostbite with Essie Good to Go. Something tells me Poshe or even SV would have been a better choice of top coat. Completely drying top coat is not enough for me today -- I wanted maximum shine! :(


Another thing: this polish REEKS. I'm not sure what the culprit is (pigment?), because two of my SH XtremeWears, Pacific Blue and Wet Cement, smell exactly the same way. My brush was a little wonky and seemed to stay in one direction if I pressed too hard on it, but this wasn't as big of a deal as the smell. You'd never know it by the amount of China Glaze polishes I have, but I'm not a huge China Glaze fan. Maybe it's the bottle shape, the ridiculous drying time, or the inconsistent formulas that get my goat. Maybe my body chemistry is simply not compatible with China Glaze. I'm not sure.

However, I'm glad I have Frostbite in my collection! I only wore cremes (my one twoo wuv) and didn't start wearing shimmers until last October. When I asked the nail board for more jewel-toned shades, this was always among the suggestions. Now that I'm wearing it? Oh yeah, I absolutely see why this oldie but goodie comes so highly recommended!

Frostbite is from China Glaze's 2007 Winter Ski Collection. If you don't have it, it's in the core ChG display at Sally's with collection mates Vertical Rush, Avalanche and Black Diamond. It's also easy to buy online.

So yessss. Frostbite = epic color win, epic photo fail. "Captain America" = to be determined.
If you're heading out to watch the movie this weekend, enjoy! :D

(BTW, Cap fans -- if you have any favorites or recommendations for ETF titles, this girl would be much obliged!)

4 comments:

  1. Just found your blog, you have very nice looking nails. Frostbite looks great but it's still waiting among my untrieds; when I swatched it on a finger it smelled terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Yeah, my sensitive nose can deal with good old non-B3F chemically goodness, but not eau de Frostbite. Ugh! Thanks for the follow, and it's nice to see you here too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just had to comment because I love Frostbite! Its one of my favorites :) Also, I recently just saw Chris Evans because they were filming on my block for the new Avengers movie. It was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Let's Get Nailed: Thanks! God, these are awful pictures, LOL. Also, I hate you so much right now. ;) (HE IS SO BEAUTIFUL IT MERITS CAPSLOCK)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.