Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Essie Beach Bum Blu, a surprise summer fave

After watching the "FNL" finale and a couple of Season Two "Dexter" episodes with my friend Krysi on Friday night, I decided to go get a couple of beers at one of my favorite local establishments. It's been forever since I've knocked back any beers (+2) alone (+2) in public (+1), so I wasn't sure if it was a good idea, especially once I realized I was drinking on a not-so-full stomach. Surprisingly, I enjoyed myself quite a bit, and I'm glad I went out! (Plus, the bartender hooked me up with a very nice Bell's that was WAY better than what I usually have and so of course I can't remember its name! Grrr.)

This sort of brings me to how I came to today's NOTD, Essie Beach Bum Blu -- I generally like Essie and most aqua-colored polishes, though I usually avoid frosts like the plague (or an episode of "Glee"). This polish had been sitting in my stash since spring and I felt that maybe mid-July was a good time to take it out for a whirl.

Well, to quote Sergeant James Doakes,



Because I *love* this polish!


Here it is with three coats and Essie Good to Go top coat. Gorgeous, no? Look at how this baby glows. Now here's a frost I can get down with! I think it's perfect for summer.



In the shade:


In all its frosty glory:


This polish is a hair greener than it appears here. And although I've never worn Minx, this is what I imagine it's like.

The application and the formula were great. The polish flowed onto the nail, and it wasn't insanely brushstroke-y, something frosty polishes tend to be. I love that it straddles the line between frost and metallic, and its particular shade of aqua/turquoise has enough depth to separate it from the typical frosty aqua offerings (I don't have this polish any more or any pics of it, but China Glaze Adore comes to mind). It dried quickly on its own as well as with the Essie GtG top coat.

Now my friend LizzardVanReptile said this stained like a mofo upon removal. I can't comment on that yet, but I will on Thursday when I slap on my "Captain America" mani. (I just bought my midnight ticket. *happy dance*)

EDIT
: No staining on my nail plate with my base combo of Essie Fill the Gap and Gelous, but lots of staining around the cuticles and skin. I think this was due to the fact that I kept trying to use the same corners of the felt square I was using!

Beach Bum Blu is one of the retail-exclusive polishes in the Essie retail line, available at Wal-Mart, Target, CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid and other drugstores. I think I picked mine up at Target for $7.79.

Do you have any polishes that were surprise summer favorites, any favorites from the Essie retail line, a favorite seasonal beer, or a favorite season of "Dexter"? :)

4 comments:

  1. Your Dexter reference totally won me over. I died with happiness a little when I saw that and literally laughed out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stephanie -- first of all, !!!!. Second, thank you for the follow and the comment. It means a lot to me as a longtime reader of your blog. But as a fellow pop culture junkie, I don't know what else to say other than, "JAFAR, I'M BLUSHING!" [/Iago]

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you like aqua colors, you should try essie's trophy wife :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And oh yeah ... I have that one in my untrieds. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.