Sunday, July 24, 2011

Orly Green with Envy, a no-brainer favorite

Before I get into anything, I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to my first few followers! It doesn't matter if you're in it for the polish or the rambling or if you're simply humoring me -- I'm very happy to have you along. :D

Once you get to know me, you will find out that basic decision-making definitely is
not one of my strengths, whether I'm choosing a new career path, where to grab lunch, or which polish to wear. At least I have the nail board to help me with the last one! Next week is Orly brand theme week + "old favorites" week, so I went for a twofer.

Orly Green with Envy is one of my all-time favorite polishes, and I love it on my fingers and my toes. It even has "desert island" status to me, I love it so fooking hard ...
... even if it too is a bish to photograph because it's one of those freaky teal/turquoise shades. It does leans on the green side of that, though!

This is three coats with Essie Good to Go. Here it is in the sunlight, leaning blue,


and here it is under my kitchen lighting, which is more color-accurate. Sorry for the lobster hands! I think I need to invest in an OttLite and make a lightbox for these problematic colors.



Green with Envy is a jelly, if you're into jellies***. The formula is a bit watery but the polish applies and dries well. I love Orly so, so much -- I think it's a pretty underrated brand. I love the rubberized cap, I love the skinny (but wieldy!) brush, I love the 0.6 oz bottle ... and just ... love. I get good wear out of the Orlys I've tried, which makes me a very happy panda!

Also, I can't believe I almost forgot this, but SpaRitual has a dupe for Green with Envy. It's called Emerald City -- it is *exactly* like Green with Envy, but I guess the ingredients are slightly different for vegan ingredient purposes.

I can't remember if Ulta carries Green with Envy, but I know you can find it in the core Orly display at Sally's and it's very ETF online. I've also run across it at a few CVS stores in hoity-toity sections of town. I bought mine at Sally's last year with the $5 coupon for getting a Sally card, so I paid practically nothing. In fact, unless Ulta has a B2G1 going, I actually recommend going to Sally for Orlys -- they retail there cheaper than they do at Ulta, and you can't beat their clearance prices. Usually there's a pretty good deal going on, like the one last month when I bought three of the Happy Go Lucky polishes when Orly was $4.99 a bottle. :)

***
(True story: After I learned what a jelly was, I decided I was most certainly not a fan of them -- I like my polishes extremely opaque, thank you very much! Well, it turned out that three of my favorite polishes when I started collecting two summers ago *were* jellies: this one, OPI Dating a Royal, and OPI Green-wich Village. I didn't even realize they were jellies because (1) I keep my nails pretty short anyway and VNL is usually not an issue, and (2) three coats is Standard Rach. It never once occurred to me that these polishes could be squishier in texture than my beloved cremes.)

While I'm on the subject of favorites, here's my favorite Amy Winehouse recording of this song. Now after watching the official video with Mark Ronson (who, like most hipsters, I keep finding adorable even though I shouldn't), I find it kind of eerie that she wasn't in it at all.

This video isn't that video, but it's the same audio version that I have, and a damn good one.


DAMN YOU, 27 CLUB. ;__; RIP, Amy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great! I used to be soooo against jellies too, but now I am in LOVE with them! I love the squishiness!

    And for the record, I like the rambling! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lady! Thank you so much for the comment and the follow, I appreciate it :D There are quite a few jellies that I do love now, too. Glad to hear I'm not the only one who felt that way! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.