Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Wet n Wild FastDry Sea Witch, and Happy "Dance with Dragons" Day!

OMG. Happy "A Dance with Dragons" Day, y'all!!!!!

Anyone getting this today? I'm not yet, partly because I am obsessive about waiting for paperbacks and equally obsessive about owning matching editions. (This has become a recent #firstworldproblems-worthy nightmare because of the new "HBO's ~NEW SERIES~ OMG" editions, and I liked the Youll cover art, damn it.)

More importantly, I'm still less than 300 pages away from finishing "A Clash of Kings." >__<

Naturally, I wanted to mark this momentous day with a themed NOTD, so I dug into my stash looking for a blurple? indigo? to match the cover of my copy of "CoK." (Heh heh heh.) I came up with Wet n Wild Sea Witch, which was almost too perfect -- I seem to be doing water/nautical-themed polishes this month, and Sea Bitch is the name of Theon Greyjoy's boat.

As I loathe (Prince) Theon Greyjoy and I despise these stinking WnW FastDry brushes, I was prepared to detest this polish with every fiber of my --

Ooooooooooooooh. Pretty!This is three coats with SH Insta-Dri, which for some reason decided to bubble insanely. I wonder if that was the humidity or the ceiling fan going on in my room (I know ... but in my defense, it was at the lowest possible setting).

It mostly looks like my middle two fingers here, but the blue shimmer freaks out pics. On top of that, we all know purple is a notoriously difficult color to photograph!

Exhibits A and B:


And here it is under artificial light in my room last night -- the best color matching photo I could find. Sorry about the lack of clean-up at this point!

Sea Witch is from this summer's WnW Mermaid's Cove collection, along with the famous Waves of Enchantment and several other polishes. Apparently the displays for WnW polishes this year have been even spottier than usual, so I was quite tempted to grab it when I originally chanced upon it in late May at a CVS in Charlotte, NC. However, shopping with my boyfriend in tow tends to curb my impulses, and I stayed on my best behavior. As soon as we got in the car, I regretted it, of course! So you better believe I practically cleaned out a display at another CVS two days later when we'd gotten back home.

I wish I had taken pictures of what Sea Witch when applying the first, second and third coats. On the first coat, it looked like a magenta with a blue flash; by the third coat, it became a lovely violet with blue shimmer. The first coat was kind of streaky, but I'm not sure if that was because of the formula, the awful long brush stem, the raggedy brush itself, or the thinner I put in my Gelous before polishing. I went thin on the first coat, and then thick-medium for the last two coats.

All in all, I actually like this polish! It's pretty smexy. (But I still hate the brush stem and Theon Greyjoy.)

As a thank you for making it through this post, I would be remiss if I didn't include a clip of the *real* HBIC Sea Witch:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.