Tuesday, August 30, 2011

butter LONDON Royal Navy: "A hit, a palpable hit!"

The following post is not an official endorsement, just some good old-fashioned enabling!, so do not fret. :)

In case you haven't received the butter LONDON mailing list email or haven't checked out their Facebook page, they're currently running a promo for a free Royal Navy polish with any order placed until tomorrow night! Here are the details, straight from the e-mail I received this past Saturday:
"Receive a complimentary Royal Navy lacquer with absolutely any butterLONDON.com purchase. No restrictions. No minimum. Simply enter ROYALAUTUMN at checkout. NOW through August 31st."
Sounds like a smashing deal, doesn't it? I'd probably spring for this if I hadn't already received Royal Navy in their "The Dark Side" four-polish set that I bought last November. Here it is!




Two coats with Essie Good to Go.







This is a creme finish, not as creme-CREME as MAC Spirit of Truth (my favorite navy), but not jelly-creme, either. It definitely dries darker than it looks in the bottle, which you may or may not like, and on a scale of "I can tell it's blue!" to "vamp," it reminds me of a blue ink ballpoint refill (so ... somewhere in the middle?).

I LOVE how glossy it is, though! So chic! The formula was a dream to work with and I don't have problems with the teeny tiny brush -- I had some trouble, but again, I'm just out of practice with dark shades. Use a good base coat combo, because I predict there will be some staining upon removal.

Edited to add that there was no staining on me with Essie Fill the Gap and Gelous. I used a felt square for removal and made sure to remove polish with unstained areas of the square. Hope this helps someone!

I'm not sure if Royal Navy was a piece in a particular seasonal collection, since it seems to be one of bL's core classics. If you decide to opt out of this deal but want to try this polish, there's a good number of places to get it. There's butterLONDON.com, Nordstrom, Ulta, Zappos.com and beauty.com. Zappos has free shipping, but Nordstrom has testers in the store ... it sounds silly, but testers are awesome!

Now that I've admitted Royal Navy doesn't strike me as the most unique navy creme out there, it still has a place in my heart and my Helmer. Why? The name, of course!

Also, there's this guy:




Oh, it's only Horatio Hornblower, the primary reason behind my obsession with all things nautical (especially British Regency era naval history), the inspiration for Enterprise captains James T. Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard ... and, since 2004, the ACTING COMMANDER OF MY HEART. <3

Six years ago, I could have named you all of C.S. Forester's Hornblower books and movies in the correct order off the top of my head, as well as Hornblower's naval rank in each one. Now, not so much. The movies in the A&E television series were so well-done that I started reading the books, which are wonderful (if somewhat dry); I think the television team did an excellent job of remaining faithful to the source material while going in its own direction. It's a crying shame that more Hornblower movies weren't made after 2003 -- I think production costs were mostly to blame for that. Ioan Gruffudd's new U.S. TV project probably won't be as epic, but it'll be good to see him again in Sarah Michelle Gellar's new show, "Ringer" (premiering on the CW on Sept. 13).

If I haven't moved you to grab Royal Navy, I hope I've at least moved you to check out the Hornblower movies on Netflix or at your local library. I promise you won't regret it, but I can't promise that you won't share my obsession with nautical polishes as a result! :3

8 comments:

  1. Yes! I knew you would talk about Hornblower! Oh, the series. I still love it so. I wish Paul McGann would have stopped being the third wheel. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. O0oh! I'm so glad you posted this! I'm having a hard time finding a navy blue creme that isn't too dark. RBL Dead Calm was total fail for me, so Royal Navy's been on my list! I'll probably pass on this deal, but I'm totally stalking my Ulta on 9/20 for the B1G1!

    Also, if I let you have Horatio Hornblower, can I have Jean-Luc Picard? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanna kiss him right on the mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @elbee: YOU ARE THE ONLY NAIL BLOGGER WHO UNDERSTANDSSSSSSSSS. (And this is part of why I adore you so much.) Paul McGann wasn't so third wheel in the last two movies! He was a boss.

    @Courtney: Yay! I wonder though if this might pull darker on you than you'd like -- should've sent you this one, haha. MAC Spirit of Truth and Orly La Playa *might* be better, but I don't know for sure. And yes ... you can have Capt. Picard. Just leave me Bones McCoy, please and thank you! :-P

    @Madeline: OMG IKR. Get in line, girl! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's such a chic color, I love it on you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Nola: Thank you, dearie! I see you are going through a navy phase yourself! Isn't it a great color?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it sad that as soon as I saw the quote in the title I went "Ooh, Hornblower reference!"

    No, I didn't think so!

    I love you blog. And Hornblower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely nothing wrong with that! I'm thrilled to hear from another Hornblower fan. :) Thank you for visiting!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.