Monday, August 29, 2011

Stash Swatch Swap: OPI Russian Navy (and a case of the Mondays)

This is the second polish from my stash swap with Courtney of Polished Casual. We started out by choosing two polishes in finishes out of our polish comfort zones, and OPI Russian Navy was my second pick. I'd always waffled over it at Ulta. I love the OPI Russian collection and I love Ulta's OPI B2G1s and coupons, but in my three years of collecting, I have never yearned for this polish. The stash swap with Courtney gave me a chance to see if my instincts are right, or if I'm missing out. Coming down from my unexpected love for butter LONDON Wallis, I was really pumped up about this one.

Only, Monday caught up with me. Have you ever had one of those days when you cannot do anything right with a polish, from applying it to trying to photograph it? That day = today.

I think the crazy began when I couldn't sleep and decided 3 a.m. would be a great time to polish. With the exception of my Gelous being in its last few manis and my failure to apply a vampy polish properly, I got the job done and went to bed.

When I woke up this morning ... ew. My right hand looked like my friend's three-year-old had painted it and cleaned it up. My left hand was great, except for a finger with a dent and another finger with sheet marks. So I re-did those two fingers and trotted out to take pictures ... only there's no sun in SW VA today. >__< I took some experimental photos in my room and then proceeded to dent my two fingers on the wall when reaching for my charger.

There's no way in Hades that I am painting those two fingers AGAIN, and I'm not going to subject you to a banged-up mani, so you get the experiment photos. They really aren't so bad, except I don't have a lot and I have no outdoor pictures and I really would have liked to get some of those.

On the positive side, I forgot how chic vampy shades are on my shorties. :D




Two coats with SV. This next picture is what it looks like on me most of the time. :/





(click to enlarge)


Yeahhh.

The formula on this one was pretty good! It leans a little on the thick side, and it pooled a little bit on me. This was kind of annoying, but it could have been because of my pathetic Gelous application or because I am out of practice applying vampy shades! It dried on record time with SV, and the only reason I botched it so quickly was because I went to sleep pretty much immediately. I seem to be doing that a lot lately. :/

I can't decide half the time if "Russian Navy" is a misnomer. The polish looks indigo/purple in the bottle. Only when I applied my first coat did I see the navy base, and after two coats, it just looks like an inky black or indigo in low natural light on me. Low indoor light picks up the lovely pink, purple and blue shimmer rather well, and this shimmer is what sets it apart from your typical navy shimmers. The shimmer is extremely subtle to boot, and doesn't really pop until you get out in the sun. Eh. If I'm gonna wear a shimmer, it better freaking shine like one of Lil Wayne's grills, you know what I'm saying? I don't know what it is, but shimmers like this don't look glossy or metallic, and that kind of bothers me. Hmm.

After its debut in Fall 2007's Russian collection, this polish has become part of OPI's core line. It's ridiculously easy to find, so where you decide to purchase this one simply comes down to whether you'd like to get it NOW NOW NOW, or wait for a coupon or sale. OPI Russia is one of my favorite (OPI) (fall) collections -- I have six of those shades to prove it!

Between my off day and the lack of sun, Russian Navy gets a pass from me, though I certainly can see why it's become a core classic. The thing is, I'm not really into super vampy shimmers because they look almost black on me 90% of the time! I honestly think it's down to skin tone and personal preference, because I can wear vampy cremes like they're my job. The shimmer just gets lost on my coloring.

Colors like Russian Navy look much, much better on my ~alabaster goddess~ friends like Courtney. ;) A HUGE thank you to her for letting me try this one out! I've got the last polish from our stash swap to show you soon, and it is EPIC WIN. :)

4 comments:

  1. Awww, sorry you didn't like Russian Navy! I'm not typically into vampies either, but I do love this one! For what it's worth, I think it looks awesome on your nubs!

    I am literally *giddy* with excitement over the last one!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I looove this color, it was the first color I bought that was really out of my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dark colors probably look black on me too, but I will wear them anyway. Then I will shove my fingers into peoples' faces and go "LOOK AT THAT SECRET SHIMMAHHHHHH!" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Courtney: Oh, I think I was cranky from my bad polish mojo and the lack of sunlight! (BTW, I did go out and buy an Ott-Lite after I posted this, so I won't have to be a slave to the sun forever, yay!) Thank you for giving me the opportunity to try it -- I would never have known for sure! I bet it's stunning in the sun. Grrrrr. Look for the post on Thursday! I AM SO EXCITED. :)

    @Emily: That's so interesting! :) And yeah, I see why others love it, but it looks icky on me!

    @Lauren: LMFAO I just heard your entire comment in Zoidberg's voice in my head. IDK why I don't like secret shimmers in vampies, but I adore them in brights and other saturated shades. I AM SO CONFUSED.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.