Saturday, September 10, 2011

Happy birthday to me! -- MAC Ming Blue

Well, folks ... I made it to 25. But first, a little AP Style lesson:

For as long as I wear polish, I plan on making it a tradition to wear blue polish on my birthday, something that I have done for the past two years. This makes number three, and finally I get to bestow the word "annual" upon the day!

My first semester of journalism school taught me a little something about using the word "annual." Specifically, here is the rule that was drummed into my head -- thank you, MASC 303!

An event cannot be described as annual until it has been held in at least two successive years.

BAM. Rach's Third Annual Blue Polish Birthday. The first year I did this, I wore L.A. Girl Flare Magnetism (more navy than BLUE-blue). Last year I put on the Lapis Lazuli color from my StrangeBeautiful Vol. 4 set. Until last October, I was a creme-only kind of girl. In the spirit of trying new things and embracing necessary changes, my newly-acquired MAC Ming Blue was the perfect birthday polish.


(click to enlarge)

Three coats of MAC Ming Blue with Poshe. All of these pictures were taken on the second day of wear, except for the last photo, which was pre-cleanup.












I had heard that the glass fleck shimmer on this one was far more subtle on the nail than in the bottle. Truth. Before I wore Ming Blue, I thought said subtlety would work in its favor. Now that I've had it on for two days? Not so much. :/ It doesn't even show up too much in sunlight. That's a shame, because glass fleck is quite pretty -- under artificial light, you get a better look at the turquoise, green, pink, and purple shimmer in the bottle.

The formula wasn't as great as I thought it would be. It covered in two thick coats, but I needed three to cover a few bald spots. I might need to whip out my thinner next time I wear this again. Other than that, it applied well and the brush was not wonky at all.

I used Poshe for a top coat because it works well with my MAC polishes for complete dryness, although I have some shrinkage issues. And I have to add that while Ming Blue was completely dry, in most lights, the glass fleck shimmer was so subtle that my nails looked as though I'd gotten sheet marks on them. It was weird.

All in all, I think I'll have to wear this polish again before I decide on what to do with it. The shimmer was just too weird.


Ming Blue was part of Jin Soon's MAC Nail Trend collection for Fall/Winter 2010, which was inspired by the materials of ~Imperial China~. Fancy, right? I was lucky enough to pick this one up at my CCO two weeks ago. I don't have any of the other shades from this collection, but I remember thinking they all fit together very well when I saw them last year and thought, "Gosh, that blue is pretty ... too bad I don't do that finish."


The past two years of my life have been pretty rough, professionally and personally. I'm hoping that this is the year things turn around for me and that I will be blessed with the grace and good humor to deal with everything in my life that I need to deal with. I think Jimmy Eat World had it right -- "Things are never gonna be quite what you want / Even at 25, you gotta start sometime."

 

But I had a really great birthday! I saw a corgi (OMG) and received some sweet greetings from my friends and family. My boyfriend also got me some bombass gifts: "X-Men: First Class" on DVD (or "Fassy Magneto Happy Movie Times"), an electric yarn ball winder (though we'll probably return it so I can order a swift online), a birthday card with a basket of puppies on the front, and one dozen red velvet cupcakes. I'm going to go nom one right after this post is published.

Thanks for reading, and hope your weekend has been good! <3

4 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, my buddy girl! *squishes*

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAPPY (belated) MOTHER F-IN' BIRFDAY!! *fist pumps and dances in falling confetti* :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday!

    I really like this color and don't think the shimmer looks like sheetmarks, but I am easily caught up in the wiles of blue nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Noelie: Thanks lovely friend! <3

    @Courtney: SNOOKI WAS IN RICHMOND that day. LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO. Thanks! <3

    @Madeline: Thank you! <3 Me too. ME TOO.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.