Friday, September 16, 2011

Maybelline Cool Couture, a polish for a cool fall Friday

The forecasts all week have been touting cool weather for this weekend, starting today. Fall is in the air! That makes me an extremely happy panda -- I've even broken out my boots. Oh yes. This weather also made me want to break out a dark but shimmery fall color, and I knew I had just the polish for that!

--Also, this weather means that I may be a slave to my Ott-Lite for a while, so let me know what you think about these photos. And sorry about the grossness of my nail beds. I was cutting my nails down and may have gotten a bit ... zealous. Eh, it'll grow back by my next post. ;)




(click to enlarge)


Three coats of Cool Couture with SV.








This polish has a dark grey base with some blue, sort of like slate. While the base is an extremely flattering color on me, I'm not sure I would've bought this polish if it hadn't been for the teal shimmer laced throughout the gorgeous grey. The shimmer really sets it apart from other grey shimmers out there.

I never expect an easy time applying Maybelline polishes. Basically this comes down to a couple of things. The first issue regards the brush bristles. I have no problems with the cap or the length of the brush stem, but the bristles on most of my Maybellines are uneven, frayed, and generally don't spread out. Quality control IS YOUR FRIEND, Maybelline! I did have a couple of brush strands that splayed out, but that wasn't really a problem. The formula on this one was all right, but I needed two thick coats for complete coverage and a third for covering bald spots and unevenness. Then SV did its thing and all was well.


Cool Couture is one of the polishes from Maybelline's Scene on the Runway collection for this fall. It was the only polish in that collection that was enticing enough for me to grab it at Rite Aid last week. I believe the displays have been out for about a month (?), so get if you see it at your local drugstore chain, or check MUA swap lists.


I'm really glad I have this color. Funny thing about greys: my wackadoo skin tone makes all light, medium and dark grey polishes with green undertones look killer on me. However, greys with blue undertones don't look good unless they are darker greys. Riddle me that!

Did you guys pick up Cool Couture, anything else from this collection, or just anything exciting for fall? :D I may try to snag another pumpkin spice latte -- I had my first one of the season on Monday, and it was total fail whale. Hopefully this next one won't be as bad!

Thanks for reading and have a great weekend, y'all!

6 comments:

  1. How freaking gorgeous with the shimmer!! I can't wait to have a moment to go to rite aid. I am sad the brush was crappy, but for the right price (ehm coupons will do) I will make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is unbelievably gorgeous!! Darn Maybelline and their craptastic brushes. I had one that was exactly the same as yours - all uneven and whatnot.

    Oh, and I think your Ott-Lite photos look great!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most of my Maybelline brushes are totally wonk-ass but surprisingly the one on my bottle of Cool Couture was nice.

    I am so excited for fall weather! It rained yesterday for the first time since like, April, and will now continue to rain for the next 9 months.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @loodie: Did you make it to Rite Aid? Oh my goodness, this one is a beauty and worth any work you may have to do.

    @Courtney: Maybelline was the second brand that made me start buying drugstore polishes! I've never had real problems, but I'm freakishly patient as long as it's not a neon, you know? And thanks! :D

    @Madeline: LOLOL I know what you mean. Seattle gets a bad rap for all the rain, but the summer I spent there had fabulous weather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. have to have this!! And i don't even like grey..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen it on eBay, but you can definitely get it from blog sales if you look hard enough.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.