Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Misa Dirty, Sexy, Money: Worthy of my U.S. history boyfriend?

The boyfriend and I went on a little D.C. daytrip on Monday and spent the afternoon checking out the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. Before our impromptu dinner date with my high school best friend, we killed some time at the National Portrait Gallery. After the hordes of visitors and taking in the very busy exhibits and displays at the Natural History Museum, the Portrait Gallery was the perfect close to the day -- just portraits and sculptures, no frills, no noise.

I looked at the Kyopo Project photos and may have cut my boyfriend loose so I could go hunting for a portrait of my U.S. history boyfriend, Alexander Hamilton. Luckily, I didn't have to go far before locating John Trumbull's 1806 painting. Alexander Hamilton has always fascinated me: he was a military man, a politician and delegate, an economist, a constitutional lawyer and our first Secretary of the Treasury. I've slooooooowly been reading this book by Thomas Fleming for a while, but Rufus Sewell's turn as Hamilton in the "John Adams" HBO miniseries only added more fuel to the fire.

I planned on wearing another polish after getting back from my birthday weekend, but you know I love old guys ... so this got bumped up on my list. Without further ado, Misa Dirty, Sexy, Money. Hee hee hee.




Three coats with SV.









(click to enlarge)


This is a dusty light teal/turquoise color that leans green -- it reminded me of the turquoise in my old Crayola colored pencil set, actually. The formula was pretty good, a little on the thick side. The Misa brushes are thin, which I like, and and they spread the polish out well. Two medium-thick coats was okay, but not completely smooth and three did the trick.

Dirty, Sexy, Money is from Misa's Living on the Fast Lane collection from Spring 2009. I ordered mine from TransDesign (now nailsupplies.us) last September. It's close but not a complete dupe for Sephora by OPI Ocean Love Potion as well as NYX Girls Algae, so if you can't get a hold of this one, those are quite reasonable facsimiles. I have all three -- *gulp* -- but when this color looks as good on me as it does ... they're just staples! ;)

Since I'm feeling the need to wax some more on Hamilton, here's what the Trumbull painting looks like:





I haven't been able to discuss art history intelligently since I was ten years old, so here's a picture of Rufus Sewell as Alexander Hamilton for you to drool over. For the record, I don't know that Sewell was the right physical choice for Hamilton, although the casting people could not have picked a better actor with the same kind of energy. YES PLEASE DO WANT.






GODDAMN I LOVE BRITISH ACTORS IN PERIOD MILITARY DRESS TUMBLR. More precisely, I love that there's a Tumblr account for almost anything.

Thoughts on this Misa? Suggestions for future D.C. daytrips? Anyone else want to share their U.S. history boyfriend? Favorite Rufus Sewell projects? I can't wait to see him in "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter," but so far my favorite performance of his is in BBC's "Shakespeare Retold" version of "The Taming of the Shrew" with Shirley Henderson as the Katherine to his cross-dressing Petruchio. That's right. CROSS-DRESSING. It's on Netflix. You're welcome.

5 comments:

  1. DSM is appropriately both dirty AND sexy looking! I love it!! I've been meaning to pick this one up - I don't own any Misas (I know!)!

    Future D.C. daytrip = meet me somewhere sometime. I can tear up some art exhibits! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, I need to find my U.S. History boyfriend. *ponders the manly men of the past*

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Courtney: LOLOLOLOLOL. Shall I throw this one in our next stash swap? ;) ;) And YES. I love that idea! I totally will help you find your U.S. history boyfriend ... just don't take mine, bwahaha. Also, are you still planning to come down next weekend for cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I reeeeeeeally want to! I'm not sure if I'll be able to though. :-( I'll keep you posted!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my favorite Rufus Sewell role is in Masterpiece-Middlemarch, though his roles in The Illusionist, Dark City and Cold Comfort Farm are all great as well. Now I have to go find Taming of the Shrew!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.