Friday, October 14, 2011

Straight from the Buy More? Essie Pretty Edgy

Today is the first day of New York Comic Con 2011! Sadly, I'm not attending NYCC this year, but I went in 2009 and had an amazing time. For me, one of the highlights of the con was the panel for one of my favorite TV shows, NBC's "Chuck." I made friends with my seatmate, got to ask the show's creators a stunt question and -- best of all -- got to be in the same room as the panel moderator, my TV critic idol, Alan Sepinwall. (His write-up of the panel is here. Poor Yvonne Strahovski! I know people get dumb around ridiculously good-looking people, but this was practically at a Buy More level.)

Given the number of times I've actually been able to watch episodes of "Chuck" as they aired on TV, I don't know if you could call me a hardcore fan. But I'm a pretty big one, and although I'm a little sad that the fifth season starting up on Oct. 28th will be its last, I'm glad it got a good amount of time on air.

The show started with the title character working at a store called "Buy More," which is more or less a spin on Best Buy and the now-defunct Circuit City. (Okay, so technically, the show began with the title character's birthday party.) Earlier this spring, I wanted to find a polish that was the perfect shade of Buy More green and settled on CND Green Scene/Essie Pretty Edgy. How do you think I did?




Three coats with Essie Good to Go.












Essie describes this color as "palmetto green." I prefer "Astroturf ON STEROIDS." Tomato, tomato. ;) No complaints with it at all! The jelly-creme finish was glossy and perfect and easy to work with. Just use a good base coat because greens like this can get a bit stainy.

To me, Pretty Edgy was the standout polish of Essie's Summer 2010 collection (others, such as my friend Miss LizzardVanReptile, feel this way about Demure Vixen). It has a color dupe in CND Green Scene, which I no longer have, although Green Scene is more of a true creme finish as opposed to Pretty Edgy's jelly-creme. This is still fairly ETF online, on swap lists, and I believe it's core at Ulta, so if you want it, it's worth it.

The last time I wore this polish was when I went to D.C. in March to visit my high school bff and go to ShamrockFest to see the Dropkick Murphys, which ended up being a complete disaster thanks to some douchebags in the mosh pit in front of me. After getting jostled and almost kicked 20 minutes into the set, we left and grabbed a bite at Amphora.

But I digress. Do you have any suggestions for a better Buy More green? Are you sad to see "Chuck" go after five years, and what's been your favorite moment of the series? Favorite character? Don't forget to catch the final series premiere on Oct. 28th at 8 p.m. ET! I'll be wearing my Jeffster shirt that day. :)

I'd post a Jeffster video, but I can't find a good one, so instead I'll leave you with this scene from Season Two.




Thanks for reading and have a great weekend! I'm going on a little road trip with family ... please pray for me, LOL.

5 comments:

  1. I don't watch Chuck so I can't say whether this is a Buy More green or not, but I can say that this looks fantastic on you! This polish is still in my untrieds, I may have to bust it out one of these days and do a proper manicure with it =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This green looks so good, i wish I had something similar in my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jacqui: Thank you! :) It's one of my favorite greens ... you should totally give it a whirl!

    @Elsa: Thank you! I hope this (or a close dupe) finds its way to you soon, I bet it would look lovely on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite greens! I LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @tasha~: I LOVED your pics of it! Nice to see lots of love for this green :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.