Monday, October 3, 2011

Tossed salads & scrambled eggs: OPI A-Taupe the Space Needle

One of my favorite things about fall is OPI's annual fall collection. I wasn't so wowed with OPI Swiss last year, but was beyond excited for Touring America after seeing the first PR images this spring. When I saw that there was going to be a polish for Seattle, I freaked out. I LOVE Seattle. I lived there for a few months when I was 17 -- looking back, I wouldn't do it under the same circumstances, but that city always will have a place in my heart. (Also, one of my cousins had his wedding reception "A-Taupe the Space Needle" ... so yes, DERP DERP DERP, I NEEDED this polish.)

However, the reviews for A-Taupe the Space Needle were not so glowing. "Diarrhea" is the word most associated with the color descriptions I read, and I don't think a lot of us out there can successfully pull off wearing a color like that! I'd see one review and tell myself I didn't need it, but then I'd see another and want it again. I passed it up three times before I caved at Ulta the day before my birthday. That's me ... BUYING ALL THE THINGS.

As we all know, sometimes the heart wants what it wants ... even when what it wants is a polish that looks like diarrhea on your nails -- nay, ESPECIALLY when it looks like diarrhea on your nails.






Three coats with SV.













I needed three coats to get this sucker even.
The formula was pretty good, OPI's usual creamy goodness but like a lot of the Touring America polishes, it doesn't seem like it was mixed all the way -- anyone know what I'm talking about?

This reminds me of Chanel Particuliere if it had been far more yellow. Luckily, this color dries a little darker on the nail than it does in the bottle, making it pretty wearable for me since I have quite a bit of yellow in my skin tone. I'm not sure this is the color I would associate with Seattle ... it's coffee-like, which is a bit of a stretch, but clearly there's another Touring America polish for that.

A-Taupe the Space Needle is pretty ETF since Touring America just came out. I got mine at Ulta like I said, but you can go to any salon or beauty supply that sells OPIs, as well as online e-tailers. I have an embarrassing amount of colors from this collection which I plan on busting out here, so keep an eye out for them. I'm not sure which one I'll do next.
I'll be out of town for a couple of days and I'm not bringing any nail stuff with me except for my Burt's cuticle cream, so that should give me the usual amount of time I need to decide whether or not I'm keeping this one. So far, my gut says YESSSSSS.

I've never been a fan of Meg Ryan/Tom Hanks movies, or Ephron movies in general, so any "Sleepless in Seattle" references are totally lost on me. However, I do have one favorite Space Needle TV association.






... hands down one of THE BEST '90s sitcoms EVER (at least, the early years were). Regardless of your feelings re: Kelsey Grammer, I don't think he'll ever have another role quite as prolific as Frasier Crane! Also, I <3 Eddie. Looking back, I didn't realize I sort of wanted to be Roz Doyle when I grew up, just ... less slutty.

What are your feelings about A-Taupe the Space Needle? Do you agree that this "taupe" isn't necessarily the first color Seattle brings to mind? Got any Seattle stories, or did you enjoy Frasier more on "Cheers" or his own series?

Thanks for reading! See y'all when I get back. :)

3 comments:

  1. This is NOT what I would have chosen for a Seattle color. Grey or green would have been my choices. Pine green!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty on you!!

    and I absolutely adore Frasier. I can appreciate Cheers but I carve out time to watch Frasier on Lifetime =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Madeline: Right?! Pine-ing for the Emerald State ...? *chortle*

    @Anna: Thank you! LOL, I was watching it a lot in the hotel room for the past couple of days. :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.