Sunday, October 23, 2011

Layering experiment with Wet n Wild Fantasy Makers Creepy Pumpkin

By now, you've probably seen this polish more than a few times. I wasn't sure if I wanted to get it, but the price of $1.99 was hard to argue with! I wound up grabbing this one at Ulta mostly with the intention of reaching a $10 minimum purchase so I could use a coupon. *cough*

When I saw this one in person, I eyeballed it to make sure that it really WAS as sheer as the reviews made it out to be. (It is.) I'm not much for layering, but I also didn't feel like doing a million coats for opacity! I put it over my weekend NOTD, Revlon Tangerine, and I think the end result turned out pretty well.






One coat with Poshe over three coats of Revlon Tangerine and one coat of Poshe. For the record, it doesn't dry completely smooth.









I don't have too much to say that everyone else hasn't already said about Creepy Pumpkin. One, naturally the base of this polish will give a slight orange tint to whatever you decide to layer it over. As oranges go, Revlon Tangerine is a pretty light orange, and Creepy Pumpkin actually made the orange in this combination ever so much darker -- dark enough to look good with my complexion. ;)

Two, the bottle cap was kind of a PITA for me. I'm not really into most novelty polish bottle shapes as I am too practical for my own good sometimes. The gravestone design was really cute, don't get me wrong, but the cap was not easy for me to screw back on properly. It took me a few tries before I was able to align the sides of the cap to the bottle -- not my favorite thing, but again, I only have two weirdly shaped novelty bottles in my stash (the other being one of the Snowman polishes from Rite Aid), so what do I know?

I'm not sure if I'm going to keep this one. It's a great thing to have when you want to spice up an orange shimmer but IMO the glitter is brighter than the glass flecks I've come to love (China Glaze Ahoy, mostly). It sure is fun, though!

I bought this bottle of Creepy Pumpkin at Ulta, but I've also seen it at CVS. The only thing is that it's so close to Halloween that I'm not exactly sure if the displays will be up much longer. Just a thought.

Are there any other layering combos I should try before I resign this one to my swap box? My friend Anna used this over CND Asphalt and it's as unexpectedly pretty as you can imagine. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I like this combo much better than Creepy Pumpkin alone! I'm going to have to try it! My friend layered this over a regular black creme and it was actually quite pretty! It's just too sheer to wear alone for my taste.

    P.S. Followed you back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Chelsea: Thanks! Yeah, I keep my nails short so VNL isn't really an issue for me ... but gracious, Creepy Pumpkin was sheer. Although I wonder if it would look good over a yellow shimmer. ;) ;) ;)

    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.