Thursday, November 3, 2011

Rescue Beauty Lounge Jane -- The opposite of operatic

Happy November! I've returned from my little getaway and while it was nice, I'm glad to be back -- online, anyway. :)

Sometime seven years ago
, my love affair with opera began. As someone who lacks proper musical education, I'm still something of a neophyte, but I do enjoy going to see performances when I can. My first and only live viewing to date was at the New York City Opera's production of Puccini's Madama Butterfly in March 2007; I remember deciding at that moment that there really *is* nothing like seeing opera live. I would love to go see operas all over the world, but the closest ~house of acclaim~ (at least to me) is New York's Metropolitan Opera.

Luckily, I've gotten to witness many performances over the past four years through the Met Opera's Live in HD broadcasts. I love these things so much that I have no trouble driving out of the way to see them, and I have been known to rearrange weekend plans to accommodate these shows. When I can't do that, though, I try to make it to the encore, which I did last night for the broadcast encore of the October 15 matinee of Donizetti's Anna Bolena, starring Anna Netrebko (who I absolutely love, by the way).

It was my first time taking in this particular opera, so I was quite upset when the satellite feed went out and was unable to be restored. But I was a little bit delighted to discover that my NOTD, Rescue Beauty Lounge Jane, wasn't entirely inappropriate -- Jane Seymour ("Giovanna") turned out to be one of the biggest characters in the opera. There are so many permutations of stories focused on Henry VIII and his wives that I never know what to expect. All I knew was that I was wearing this polish, damn it.

Jane was the only one of the RBL Tudor housewives polishes I scooped up last fall when they debuted -- and much like her namesake, this polish proved to be a great favorite.




This is three coats with Essie Good to Go.










As you can see here, the golden shimmer in the bottle doesn't really translate onto the nail! But I don't really have a problem with that. The RBL color description is given as "pale gray pearl with sheer washes of pink and gold." On me, Jane looks like a light nude shade with a touch of gray. The golden shimmer in the polish isn't apparent on the nail, though, not even in the sunlight. (Or at least, not today. Maybe the top coat dulled it?)


Formula on this one was top-notch and very easy to work with. After using this one, I'm kind of appalled with myself that I haven't made as much use of my RBLs as I should! Now if only I could find the perfect top coat for them. Grrrr.


Yup, I am going to have to continue my Ultimate Top Coat experiment with my RBLs. Essie Good to Go usually works well with my "high-end" top coats, but not so well this time. It dried extremely slowly (I have sheet marks on two fingers on my left hand) and I have a tiny chip on my index finger. :/ I didn't have any overnight tip wear, and only the smallest bit of post-shower shrinkage, so at least there's that. I just wish my Essie top coat dried faster!!!

Jane was one of the quartet of "Real Housewives of the Tudor Dynasty" polishes Ji Baek released for last year's RBL fall collection. At this point in time, it's sold out, but I believe Ji plans to bring back all four Tudor queens in December for a limited time, so keep an eye out for that! :)

Were you able to grab Jane last year, or any of the Tudor housewives? Do you also enjoy the opera, these Met broadcasts, or do you find that it is something better left to the fuddy duddies? Who is your favorite composer? I started off with Puccini, and while his operas will always have a place in my heart, I love discovering music that is totally new to me: new composers, new works and new vocal talents.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE Jane on you!! She's definitely one of my favorite nudes =)


    It's SO good to see you back, I've missed you tweets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I'm kicking myself for missing out on the Tudors the first time (especially since I'm a HUGE Anglophile!), but I'm slowly getting them! Just ordered Anne, and now all I need is Jane! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful on you! I didn't take the plunge with this bc I didn't know how it'd look on me...I think I'll pick it up when it comes back though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was SO excited to see that these are all coming back! I have been wanting the set for quite a while and they're hard to come by, but I'm glad to finally have a chance. Jane looks gorgeous on you and I hope to have one of my own soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there -

    Have I ever mentioend that I love your blog before? If not, I do! :D My name is also Rachel (though for some reason, I don't like to be called Rach!) and I am also in love with Essie Good To Go! I think you and I might be the only ones! ;) When it's drying slowly, I put a thin coat of Beauty Secrets Fast Finish (found at Sally's) over it and it seems to dry much quicker. However, with RBLs... well, nothing seems to work. I think I have my best luck with Poshe, but even then, it's hit and miss! :P

    Jane looks lovely on you - it's the last Tudor I need to finish my little collection! ;)

    <3 -
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Anna: Awww! <3 I love Jane and I'm a little horrified it took me forever to wear her!!! (Also, remind me to tell you about this Christmas ornament I saw on Monday. SO PERFECT FOR US)

    @Courtney: I'm kicking myself for missing out on Catherine H. Still stuck in my "Zoya Neeka vs. RBL Catherine" debate, though! Feel free to twist my arm. ;)

    @Sarah + @Chelsea: Thank you! YES, absolutely pick it up. I don't know how Jane could look bad on anyone, really. It'll be worth it, I promise! :)

    @Rachel: Oh, thank you so much! That means a lot to me since this blog project hasn't been around long. :) And thanks for the tip about the top coats, I have that Beauty Secrets one too (I find it works great under SV for Ulta store brand polish) but don't use it as much as I should. I usually use Poshe with my RBLs and put SH Insta-Dri (red bottle) over that, but I really would love to get down to ONE top coat!!!! I hope you find some time to post more on your blog soon. :) I haven't been around MUA much either and it's good to keep in touch with other MUA gals.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.