Friday, December 2, 2011

Essie Hot Coco

The holidays don't exactly scream taupe nail polish, but that's what I've been wanting to wear! Tara says I love taupes way too much, and ... she's not wrong. There's something simple yet sophisticated about a taupe creme, and Essie's inclusion of a taupe in last year's winter collection was a good call. Naturally, I had to buy it.

Also, I like chocolate.





Four coats with Essie Good to Go.











It does look like cocoa powder, doesn't it? I would kill for some of that. Actually, I think I have some cocoa powder, but it's supremely ancient, as in, "five years ago from my first apartment," so ... um. I'll have to think about that.

This is a medium taupe shade containing just enough red? mauve? for this polish to be too warm on me. It doesn't flatter me in the least and brings out the red tones in my skin! It's beautiful, though.

Also, I don't know that I cared for the formula of this polish. I needed three coats to get it completely opaque and then another because I am crazy. This polish applies strangely: thin and watery on the first coat, but it gets a little color depth with the second coat. After that it's easier going. This post might show you what I mean. It dried a little darker than it looks in the bottle.

Hot Coco is from last year's A Winter's Tale collection by Essie, a collection I think the company knocked out of the park. I bought all six of those polishes, but this is the third one I've worn since buying them last November! Oops. I've decided this polish can sashay away, as I've other taupes that look better on me (and even more that I haven't tried yet) -- it's funny that I'm so okay with this because I HATE splitting up collections. I don't know why. It's just this thing I have, the collector in me, I suppose.

So ... you know that giveaway I'm having? (No?) Well, the last question on the form asked you all to name your favorite holiday movie. I've loved reading your responses!

I must say, I am a *little* surprised that no one mentioned this ridiculous rom-com holiday gem from 1995. (Is it good, but not great? In any case, it's certainly in my top tier!)





LOOK AT THAT ADORABLE '90s CHEMISTRY.

Come to think of it, I should've paired this clip with yesterday's polish. No matter!

"While You Were Sleeping" is probably my favorite Bill Pullman movie that isn't "Independence Day," and my favorite Sandra Bullock project that does not co-star Keanu. (Oh, Keanu. I will love him until the day I die, but that is another post and another polish.) This movie gave us so many wonderful things, not limited to Peter Gallagher's coma eyebrows as well as the classic line, "We're playing basketball. I carry a pencil! I'm a lawyer! I DO THAT!" Like, what the fuck, dude. LMAO.

My ex-roommate and I were constantly telling anyone who would listen (in other words, pretty much our same two mutual friends) about our heavily-pop-culture-supported theory that Chicago in the '90s was THE city to be in if you wanted to fall in love. To this day, I lament the fact that I wasn't old enough to go and discover the truth for myself.

9 comments:

  1. Love this! I normally don't like anything brown-ish on me but this one always tempts me, there's something so soft and nice about it. Maybe it's the great name haha. And I dunno, DOES cocoa powder go bad after a long time? Like you, I really want some now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you say that something doesn't flatter you and I spend like 5 minutes looking at your picture because I don't see unflattering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bahahaha coma eyebrows! Anyways, I think this polish looks fantastic on you, I don't know what your talking about that it's too "warm" on you. It looks amazing, actually! And it really is the exact same color of cocoa powder. Now you've got me craving hot chocolate =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chelsea: Email me!!!!!

    @Madeline & @Jacqui: You two are too cute. I guess I failed to make my point -- when I think OPI A-Taupe the Space Needle Diarrhea looks better on me than this one, then this one should go!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE While You Were Sleeping! I was just thinking about it the other day, no lie.

    Also, this confirmed that I'm not crazy. I've always totes thought that Mink Muffs=Hot Coco. Ah ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol Rach! I love While You Were Sleeping! I watch it at least twice a year because it's always on, but never have watched it around x-mas time! Never even thought to connect the two. And I also think this polish looks awesome, in your pics anyway. Can't wait for our Tenth Kingdom marathon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Anna: I think kittytokaren found that Mink Muffs was cooler than Hot Coco, actually! :)

    @T: Oh you will love everything else I have lined up for this season, movie-wise. LOLOLOLOL I can't wait. I don't think we can do the whole thing but we could probably get two discs done if we start early! <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, late response here, but YES. Yes yes yes. "While You Were Sleeping" is in my three holiday must-watch list every year (along with Little Women and Love, Actually). I was 14 when it came out, and I'd say that's probably the first time I knew what chemistry and romance felt like. LOOOOOVE that movie. "Is this guy bothering you? It looked he was...LEANING."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for comment! :) LMAO, "I know karate." *rolls up sleeves* It's a sweet little '90s movie, it really is!!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.