Sunday, December 25, 2011

OPI Road House Blues: Let's have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!

When I first saw this polish in person, I knew right away that I would be wearing this for Christmas.

Deviating from my holiday polishes and collections has been the norm for me since Christmas 2008. I've never worn a Christmas polish on the actual holiday -- I've had on Sally Hansen Wholesome Earth, OPI Here Today ... Aragon Tomorrow and Rescue Beauty Lounge Teal. This year, I'm sporting OPI Road House Blues, from this fall's Touring America collection.





Two coats with SV.













First of all, I apologize for any scratches you are seeing on my top coat. I have nothing that dries as quickly or as glossy as SV and it's one of my favorite top coats; however, SV has a tendency to look like it gets scratched or banged up after less than two hours of wear. Additionally, these scratches are more easily visible on a dark polish like Road House Blues. I would've taken pictures as it dried, but I was busy and then I ran out to dinner with my high school bestie, so I didn't get any snaps in until later.

These blues are blue, all right! This shade may appear purple next to something like Essie Aruba Blue, but compared to OPI Sapphire in the Snow, this looks navy. --Navy, but with just enough purple to make it indigo. I thought it would be a dupe to Dior Blue Label, but the Dior is more blue and not so indigo.

This polish applied dreamily in two medium-thick coats. It dried quickly and never looks black on me. Hooray! My only problem was with the OPI ProWide brush, which I mostly love. The brush on my bottle seemed even more broom-y than usual, but that just meant I had to be extra careful with my application.

Road House Blues is the second polish I bought from the Touring America collection, and the fourth one I've shown you here on the blog. Shame on me for not wearing it earlier! I rather love it. I got my bottle in August at AveYou; all the Touring Americas are quite easy to find right now.

In the event that you didn't immediately giggle when I said I knew Road House Blues would be my Christmas mani, I would like to offer an explanation. And truly, what better explanation is there than this timeless holiday "standard" sung by Joel Hodgson, Crow T. Robot and Tom Servo of "MST3K"?





  1. The above clip was a bit featured in the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" episode "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians."
  2. My favorite Swayze movie is "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar." ("Point Break" comes a close second.) As far as drag queen road trip movies go, "Wong Foo" pales in comparison to "The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert" but I do love RuPaul's cameo something fierce.
  3. I will be revealing my favorite holiday movie (and the corresponding polish) before Thursday, for the two of you whose interests I've piqued.

I sincerely wish you happy Hanukkahs, and wonderful Patrick Swayze Christmases! Whichever you celebrate, I hope your holiday brings you joy. <3

2 comments:

  1. I am in LOVE with this polish and it looks so awesome on you! I seriously pick this whenever I can't decide on what polish I want to wear. Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Chelsea: Thanks, and I certainly can see why this would become your no-brainer! I'm adding this to my favorite go-to OPI vampies along with LPAD and Siberian Nights. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.