Sunday, January 1, 2012

butter LONDON Knees Up: New year, old NOTD

Happy 2012! I wanted to post this before the new year, but rushed out and didn't have time to tweak it until now, so here we are.

Some people like to look back and encapsulate the past year with an event, an object, or even a song or film that has a special meaning to them. I had a rough 2011, so I would feel badly if I subjected you to what normally amounts to gratuitous dreck. (But let the record show that my pick for album of the year is Ron Sexsmith's "Long Player Late Bloomer.")


However, as crazy as it might sound, this particular polish is a reminder of everything I've gone through this year ... the bad and the good and the utterly ridiculous.





Three coats with Essie Good to Go.












This shade is the perfect medium red shimmer for me (Zoya Isla, OPI I'm Not Really a Waitress and even OPI Royal Rajah Ruby are too dark and too brown on my coloring). It's perfectly formulated as well -- a little on the thin side, but VERY easy to work with. I have no problems with brushstrokes on this one ... just polish carefully.

When I first became aware of Knees Up, it was a butter LONDON 2009 holiday exclusive. It resurfaced last winter as part of another holiday exclusive release -- I want to say with Perfect Prezzie -- and I got my bottle from the butter LONDON site along with the Dark Side four-pack in their Friends & Family sale last November. As a result, you might be able to imagine my slight dismay when Knees Up was released yet AGAIN this year as part of the fall collection along with No More Waity, Katie.

I honestly don't think this color is totally unique. I haven't done a comparison yet, but I believe OPI An Affair in Red Square is a dupe! So if you're looking to buy Knees Up but don't want to pony up the $14 and have to order it online or travel ridiculous distances to get it, I highly recommend the OPI. I'll have to do a comparative swatch one of these days. (Remind me!)

According to British slang (and the butter LONDON dictionary), "knees up" is slang for "a drunken party" that may or may not involve dancing. Though I did drink a fair amount on NYE '10, there was none of that for me last night, only a quiet evening in front of the fire with s'mores at my friend Krysi's house. It was a pretty peaceful way to end the year, which is what I needed.

For me, one great thing about 2011 was starting this blog. However you found it, thank you for indulging me. It really does mean a lot! I hope you continue to follow along during 2012 -- best wishes for a happy, healthy and successful year! May our lemmings be plentiful and attainable. ;)

6 comments:

  1. I've debated about this one for so long; it always catches my eye but I'm sure I have a dupe of it somewhere! I do have An Affair In Red Square so I guess I don't need this one after all. Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy new year!! glad that you spent it peacefully:] and I like this red on you, it looks pretty glowy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sweetie!! Your mention is coming up on 1/6 thanking you for the awesome essie!!! I am still not believing you even sent it to me!!! THank you so much I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Chelsea: Happy New Year to you, too! :) I would have let myself be content with the OPI but I was curious and didn't have enough in my cart for the free shipping, LOL. This ended up working in my favor, since I have an accessible dupe!

    @Sarah: Happy New Year! It's SO glowy, but if you already have the OPI, you'll be fine with it. :)

    @Fingers: Aw, no problem! Looking forward to your post. :)

    @A, G, & N: Thank you for alerting me to this! I was driving when your e-mail popped up on my phone -- that was great to see during a long drive. :) And thanks for following me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great color! Love it.

    BTW I tagged you with an award. If you'd like to pick it up, you can find it at http://www.glitterobsession.com/2011/12/christmas-challenge-wrapup-versatile.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.