Thursday, January 26, 2012

Stash Swatch Swap II: China Glaze Swing Baby

Not that you missed much, but my post from Monday wasn't updating in other bloggers' blogrolls. I've fixed the problem, and you can read that post here if you like!


Last week, I shared my first pick from my winter stash swap with my gal Courtney. That was an easy choice! My second one, though, kind of threw me for a loop. I confess I entertained the idea of a Lippmann glitter (I KNOW RIGHT) but in my search for ETF neutral staple colors, decided to poke around and see if Courtney had just the thing. Sure enough, her description of Swing Baby got me thinking perhaps I too could look into a sparkly alternative to a neutral shade.

Also, this polish looks fantastic on a variety of skin tones across the Web. I've never seen this polish look bad on anyone, now including me; see it on Courtney here.




Three coats with Essie Good to Go.













The official China Glaze description of this polish is "taupe frost with silver microglitter." Is it really? I've tagged Swing Baby under "metallic" and "foil." Tomato, tomahto. The foily microglitter is silver, yes, but to me, the base color is a champagne gold. IMO, the foil finish is what makes this polish, otherwise if it were a frost or even a metallic chrome, it would be boring and I wouldn't feel as strongly about it as I do.

At first I thought this would be a good dupe for OPI Designer... De Better! Well, it's close, but at the same time, it's not! The China Glaze is overall warmer in color and depth than the OPI, which has more silver in the base and gets a pinch of warmth from its red specks of glitter. If you missed out on the OPI, I really think you could make yourself happy with this one. I don't have any bottle comp pictures because I couldn't take one that was good enough, but trust. Not really dupes.

I ended up using Essie GtG because it worked so well when I used it on another China Glaze foil, Midnight Kiss, that I thought it would work its magic again. It did, quickly and smoothly. No bumpiness or grittiness for me! The formula was wonderful to boot.

Swing Baby was from China Glaze's Fall 2010 Vintage Vixen collection; it recently became a core China Glaze polish at Sally's, where you can scoop it up if you need more instant gratification than e-tailers can give you. I have --gulp-- four others from this collection that I haven't worn yet and I hope to show you two of them next month. (Backlog, thy name is Rachel.) They're pretty epic, and if this polish is indicative of how much I may end up liking Vintage Vixen, then ... uncle.

Also, Swing Baby made me think of this. ROFLCOPTER:


I haven't seen this in FOREVERRRRRR. The last time I saw this, I was all about "ER" and Noah Wyle and while Christian Bale brought it, he was not nearly old enough for me to think about. (Mostly because I also was all about then-"ER" alum George Clooney, who WAS old enough.) This is so going on my Netflix queue for a rainy day, though I imagine I'd probably cringe at this movie now.

Final verdict on Swing Baby? I love it. I need it. I wants it. I DIE.

Snaps to Courtney for kindly letting me borrow this polish, even if it took me far too long to use it!!! There's one more polish left from our stash swap that I've been saving for last because I wanted to make sure I run a good wear test on it. It's also the one I'm most excited for, strangely enough. No, it is not a purple creme, but it is purple and it is awesome!


EDIT: Swing Baby is now officially a surprise favorite, which means this .gif is back:


12 comments:

  1. Definitely a polish that looks great on a varieyt of skintones-yourself included! A very pretty shade. I remember back in high school my best friend had to watch "Swing Kids" in her German class and absolutely despised it hahaha. I haven't seen it yet for myself though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsea! :) LMFAO I hated most of the movies we had to watch in Spanish ... Donkey from "Shrek" was REALLY annoying dubbed, and I still couldn't stop loling at Lou Diamond Phillips in "Stand and Deliver" (or "La Bamba" for that matter, I love him though). This movie I would save for a rainy day unless you are no holds barred Robert Sean Leonard or Bale fangirl!

      Delete
  2. Omg, I LOVED Swing Kids! I even have the soundtrack! I love all things vintage '40s and this polish definitely had that retro glam factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soundtrack was pretty awesome! I went through a major American songbook phase in my teens and the songs are so classic. :)

      Delete
  3. "Taupe frost with silver microglitter" is making me puke in my mouth a little bit, so I'm glad it is not an accurate description of Swing Baby! This is really pretty! So is Christian Bale. I haven't seen Swing Kids but man, Newsies? CB is babein' it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think it would look really good on you. Wonder if Color Club has anything similar ...

      OH MAH GAH "NEWSIES" <3 <3 <3 Loved him and I will sing "Santa Fe" always, but I understand why he wouldn't do another musical anytime soon though. (He was way too young for me at the time, I think that was my "UNDER 30? NO SIR" phase 'cause I was weird.)


      http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpy8m7XdA41qjzqie.gif

      Delete
  4. Champagne with a tish or rose in it - I think that is where they get the taupe description from. There is a really similar shade that was in a short release of 3 bottles at holiday meant for NYE by Orly - I am thinking the shade is called Rage. It's still around and is a wonderful color - different than anything I had. Good choice for your 2nd pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) And I thought it would be a pale rose gold, but it's definitely more taupey/champagne than Orly Rage (you're absolutely right, that's the one). I didn't want to take this one off -- I could wear it all week!

      Delete
  5. Such a hard to describe color, LOL! Another total WIN! This looks amazing on you!! wo0t!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I don't think companies really know how to describe their own products. I LOOOOOOOOVE this one, I keep looking at it in Sally's and never got it -- guess I know what I'm buying next time! :) Thank you!

      Delete
  6. What a pretty shade. I've never seen swatches of this one before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm glad you found this post then! Thank you for all the comments you left yesterday -- they were a lot of fun for me to read. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.