Monday, January 23, 2012

Welcoming the year of the Dragon -- OPI Red My Fortune Cookie

Note: These pictures look most accurate when viewed on Android.

According to my calendar, today is the first day of the Chinese New Year, or the Spring Festival (though I know some people who rang it in over the weekend). I haven't done anything remotely celebratory about it since 2006 -- unless
repeatedly watching "Fruits Basket" counts -- but with the past few years being what they were, I figure I'll need all the luck I can get!

2012 is the Year of the Dragon. I'm not totally sure what that means, only ...




(source: xharliec on deviantART)


... I'll explain this later. (Also ... YES. YES IT IS.)

Of course I had to grab a red! I'm sure you already know this, but in China, the color red is considered to symbolize good fortune and joy, that sort of thing.

By the way, if my nails looked more jacked up than usual, it's either because I was trying a new top coat or because I had quite a bit of difficulty painting with a mini (okay, so I was polishing in bed). Also, boo to the hangnails. It's cold and I can't seem to tame them just yet.




Three coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast, after three days of wear. Yep.








This is a bright tomato red creme, verging on coral on me. Very warm-toned, and very saturated. Wonderful OPI creme formula!

Red My Fortune Cookie was the obligatory OPI red in its Spring 2010 Hong Kong collection. Dudes, I LOVED that collection!, but the only full-sized ones I kept were Jade is the New Black and Hot & Spicy. I got this one when the OPI Hong Kong Tiny Takeouts (a.k.a. the set of minis) were clearanced early that summer. I cannot resist adorably packaged minis on sale! The other two polishes in the mini set were Dim Sum Plum and Suzi Says Feng Shui.

I want to say this polish is part of the permanent OPI collection (at least, at Ulta), still quite ETF. Also, in case you missed Rescue Beauty Lounge Bangin', this post confirms that this OPI is an exact dupe for the RBL. \o/


And as for the seahorse/dragon: "Fruits Basket" is a Japanese manga as well as an anime series. Though I only read the first volume of the manga, I am practically fluent in the anime. Basically, this sweet but kinda derpy orphan girl named Tohru Honda (I may or may not have named my first car after her) discovers that her classmate's family has been placed under a zodiac curse for many generations.

Thirteen of the Sohma family members are possessed (is that the right word?) by the spirits and characteristics of the Chinese zodiac animals. They transform into these animals when they are stressed, sick/weakened, or -- and this is my favorite -- HUGGED BY A MEMBER OF THE OPPOSITE GENDER. The anime, which I hear is pretty faithful to the manga, mines a crapton of physical comedy from this and it is every bit as amazing as you think it is.

I wouldn't recommend this if you are a serious anime fan -- this is definitely on the lighter side and carries a lot of messages for young girls, so while there are some darker elements, it's not going to be your thing. But if you like your ridiculous with a huge helping of adorable, then by all means ... you need this in your life.

For a long time, my sister and I had no idea why the seahorse represented the dragon until her Japanese friend told her that "tatsuno-otoshigo," Japanese for "seahorse," translated literally into "baby dragon." Well, okay. Kinda goofy but it makes sense. Also, once you see Hatori (the seahorse) in his human form, you'll know that there is NO WAY he would be a ferocious, gold-hoarding, fire-breathing dragon. He's so fricking cute. They all are.

Was Red My Fortune Cookie one of your Hong Kong picks? How will you be celebrating the Chinese New Year? Do you find "Fruits Basket" as hopelessly adorable as I do? What's your Chinese zodiac animal? I was born in 1986, which makes me a tiger. I think that means I'm supposed to brave. (I'm not, or I haven't been in some time -- at least not in a significant way.)

From me and my "Fruits Basket" DVDs -- Happy Chinese New Year!

6 comments:

  1. Really still love a # of the shades in the Hong Kong collection. I am one of those never shy about wearing reds. For both now (read for reds again post holiday now), I reached for my old coveted black label Dressed to Empress - from an old Japanese collection. It's this same lovely orange/red as Red My Fortune Cookie (which I also own and love), but it was an early glass fleck shimmery with gold micro glitter. It's one of those reds that is not 'right' somehow at all for the holiday. However I wear it year round otherwise. Once I got Empress on (only just recently discontinued from it's long time in the classics collection), I thought this is a great shade for CNY! But not being Chinese, have to say it was just coincidence. Now I am thinking I should add a thin tip line of gold on the ends. If I had any artistic side, I would dream up how to paint a dragon and put it on an accent nail.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Hong Kong collection was very welcome after South Beach (meh) and WAY better than Texas, as far as I'm concerned! DtE is a great shade and I wish I hadn't missed out on it. I love glass flecked reds (and I tend to like richer, deeper reds during the holidays as well)!

      Delete
  2. I dabbled in anime briefly but it was mostly just too confusing for me. I liked Card Captor Sakura. I could understand that, sort of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My biggest detractor is how INVOLVED I get with any given series and the sheer number of episodes some of them have. One of my friends in college kept trying to get me to watch "Bleach" and I could never do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you! I really love bright warm reds with kicks of coral. Never met one I haven't liked!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.