Saturday, January 21, 2012

Piggy Polish Polar Sea Ice

First, some housekeeping. On Monday, a new reader named Susan e-mailed me to ask if I would consider adding a "follow by e-mail" widget. As I told her, I hadn't thought about it because I didn't think there would be any interest in such a thing ... but then again, I didn't think there would be any interest in following by Google Friend Connect, either! Susan pointed out that there are many readers who follow blogs solely by e-mail, and so on Wednesday I added this option to the blog. You can find it in the top of the right-hand column on the page. If you decide to subscribe to my feed and experience any issues with it, please let me know and I'll see what I can do to fix that. Thank you, Susan!

This being said, if you have any ideas or suggestions for additions or improvements to the blog, please E-MAIL ME! (Well, you know, suggestions that aren't "Take better pictures, bitch" or "You are sooooo TL;DR." I'm working on the first one, and can't do much about the second!) I think I'm pretty good about heeding the popular bit of advice to blog for myself and not for others, but (A) that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, and (B) while I mostly blog about what I'd like to see, I might miss something YOU'D like. Additionally, this gives me a way to get to know my readers, which I enjoy.


Main order of business:

I don't know what it is about January that makes me want to break out icy blues and greys. While the winter in Virginia hasn't been as harsh as it's been at this time in previous years, every now and then the wind carries quite a bit of a bite!

I picked this polish up over the summer at Ulta, but something about the word "polar" made me want to wear it now. (It also makes me want to give a polar bear a Coke, but I'm always like that.)

Please pay attention to the bottle of polish in these pictures.




Two coats with SV.














OH MY GOD, this bottle reeked to high heaven. To be exact, it was closer to that B3FULL smell than it was to a bottle of something that is very blue and very pigmented (SH XW Pacific Blue, China Glaze Frostbite). You know that smell? Yeah. Ugh.

The formula was kind of weird. It went on easily, which was strange considering its thickness and how it dried kind of lumpy/bumpy with this gummy, semi-matte finish (until I slapped on top coat, of course).

And do you see the silver shimmer and "specks" of glitter in the bottle? NONE OF THAT came out to play. The shimmer ends up extremely subtle on the nail, and the glitter never really happens outside of the bottle. That was kind of disappointing -- if I'm gonna put on something with glitter, I expect to be rewarded for taking that chance! I wonder if the glitter is to blame for some of the weirdness with the formula. I think this polish was great in concept, but majorly failed to execute.

But it must be said that Polar Sea Ice had two redeeming factors, mainly the amazing wear! I don't know if that's a credit to Piggy Polish's whole "specially formulated for feet" tack, but my nails looked really great for three days -- very minimal tip wear with showers and glove-less dishwashing. I think wear alone might convince me to hang on to this polish for a little longer.

Also, the color is tremendously gorgeous, even without the shimmer. It falls in with other similarly-colored polishes like Sephora by OPI Slushied and Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Brisk Blue. I think it would look good on just about anyone (unless you're a Smurf, and then ... eh), and it even matches one of my favorite pairs of Pumas.




Piggy Polish can be found at Ulta for $7.50 (and at Chatters for you Canadian gals). However, this shade was clearanced at Ulta in recent months -- but it's available to order on the Piggy Polish website for $9. I'm pretty sure it was a core shade at Ulta for a while, and according to the PP site, Polar Sea Ice was part of their On the Bright Side collection, though it's unclear as to when that was originally released.

Thoughts on this polish, or Piggy Polish in general? I'd love to hear them!

Anyone up to anything good this weekend? I'm off to watch the Met Opera's Live in HD broadcast of "The Enchanted Island" this afternoon. My inner fuddy-duddy can totally get down with some baroque music, and I pre-gamed by watching Julie Taymor's "Tempest" last night, so I'm riding on that high. (I absolutely LOVED "Titus" -- I wish she and Kenneth Branagh could just take turns helming and cranking out Shakespeare adaptations. I might actually like "Romeo & Juliet" if she did it!)

8 comments:

  1. Such a great color - I love the way it pops on you! I don't have any Piggy Polish but I may have to check them out now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Kaki: Thank you!! They do come out with a great variety of shades. I think they're pretty underrated. :)

      Delete
  2. oh my gosh, CG Frostbite has the weirdest smell to me, too. Honestly, it reminds me a little of weed. Welp. Revlon Royal has that same thing to some extent.

    anyway, I really like this color, but disappointing about the shimmery-glittery let down:/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAOOOO this might be my favorite comment. Weed. LOL.

      Yeah, I was pretty bummed about that. But the wear time really cancels that out!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty shade - a bit brighter than cornflower blue - but not yet true crayola med. blue or whatever Crayola is calling it these days. Sorry to hear it was less than friendly in formulation. I wonder if a drop of polish thinner would help? It's fun when they put in some glitter/shimmer - but when it's a bit too hidden by the formulation it makes me want to break out my chemist set and fix it! I love to find everything just right esp if I spent over $2 for it which is most of what I buy (> than $2 - the lesser priced polishes let me down so often in being watery, I have pretty high expectations on a good formulation for $8 and up. I get Piggy Polish and another ? brand mixed up. One is for just children as it's water based and I think really pricy too as I recall. I see Piggy Polish and think that is it, then think nope, not it. Maybe Goggle and I will find it. Time to get a friend with little girls a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to try it again with thinner and see what happens. The wear was WONDERFUL though! I think you're thinking about Piggy Paint, the water-based polish for kids. :) I've heard mostly good things, the worst thing I've heard is that they don't have any special/unique colors for us grown up "collectors."

      Delete
  4. Lol maybe it reeks so bad because they figured that if you use it for feet, you wouldn't be able to smell it from waaaay up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Nicole: I DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF THAT. Bahahaha. But that's an astute observation & possibility!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.