Thursday, January 5, 2012

Urban Outfitters Smush -- I love Jersey this time of year!

It's that (dreaded) time again ...




If you know me or have been reading the blog since August, then you already know about my irrational love for "Jersey Shore." Don't ask me to defend it -- I can't. Just know that I was killing time at Urban Outfitters one afternoon a few months ago, saw this polish, broke a few hundred hipster rules by gigglesnorting loudly in the store, and ran for the counter before I could get into any more trouble with my wallet.

Should you not find the subsequent photos to your liking, let me direct you to this blog post I found via Google. I feel like Smush is somewhere in between her photo and mine. I hope that's not too confusing!





Three coats with SV.









It's weird that I wasn't completely in love with it until I saw it in sunlight! IMO, this color straddles the line between seafoam and mint. The closest thing I have in my stash is Essie Mint Candy Apple, which is a little more blue than Smush. I have no idea how the two compare on the nail, but here's a bottle shot:





I loved the formula on Urban Outfitters Hot Tub (a neon pink), so I was hoping the one for Smush would be just as fantastic. Uh. You know that thing about pastels being problematic? Smush was no exception, but its formula wasn't the worst I've ever had to deal with. (Off the top of my head, American Apparel Cotton, Orly Cotton Candy and SH XW Mint Sorbet made me go FUUUUUUUUUU.) I used a thin first coat, then two medium-thick coats and SV to smooth it out. I don't know if it's because I'm hypercritical, but as long as you don't look at the sides of my nails too closely, this is gorgeous!

I think Urban Outfitters polishes are ~$5 apiece, or two for $8. Taking into account my feelings about the company, I'd say it's worth it to pay $4-$5 for this particular store brand because of the ease of application, great colors and overall quality of the polish. I've had this on for two days now with very little tip wear, so I'm pleased.

Any thoughts on Smush? This new season of "Jersey Shore"? I'm excited (obviously), but the Italy season that wrapped up in October was a hot mess, and not the good kind! This being said, I'm hoping for more hilarity (e.g., Mike's encounter with the "concrete" wall) and less stupid drama (e.g., everything leading up to Mike's encounter with the wall), but you know that's not going to happen. It would be like Deena walking around somewhere without falling down, you know? Yeah, you do.

13 comments:

  1. Awesome colour, it makes me wish it was already spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Elsa: Same here -- and it reminded me a little of your blog, come to think of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, i want a nail polish called smush :p So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @All Things Shiny: It's a great polish and I hope it (or a similar color) makes its way to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Am not understanding the popularity of jersey shore! But thank you again for that Essie! It's on my blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Fingers: I just hopped over there to see it! :) My friend and I actually figured out sometime last year that we love it because it's funnier than a lot of the alleged sitcoms networks keep pushing on us. (We are TV nerds ... we overanalyze this shit)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same inexplicable love for Jersey Shore.. though, being from Jersey, I feel like I shouldn't like it. anyway, love the color and the name is making me crack up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sarah: I'm a product of New Jersey, so I kind of feel your pain. Basically what I said to Fingers above -- it's funnier than a lot of the shitty sitcoms out on TV, and I'm all for things that are funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. eeeeeheheheheh, I love it!!!

    and you *know* how I love Jerzday :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rach I love your writing style!! So funny! I reckon this colour might be very similar to a Barry M one I have called Mint. My one is suuuch a thin formula and kinda falls off the nail, as does another pastel I have so I think you might be right about that. Like the blog, I am your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohh also I have nominated you for the versatile blogger award! Details are on my page, and if you already have it, take it as me liking your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Wig Wam: You made my week with your sweet comment! (Thank you!) I don't have Mint, so I'll take your word for it. Thanks also for the tag -- I have a few I haven't done yet so you might have to remind me to do it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad I made ur week! That's cute!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.