Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Stash Swatch Swap II: Zoya Mimi = epic win and epic photobomb

I don't know any Mimis in real life other than a little girl who made my sister cry on their first day of kindergarten! (Wonder whatever happened to her ...)

However, there are many other memorable Mimis ... at least in my mind.


I do share her ridiculous love for Mr. Wick.



I never watched "90210" but I was a HUGE fan of "So NoTORIous." (Or really, Sasan.)
RIP, Miss LaRue!



I love Puccini's "La Boheme" but less for the story and more for its glorious, glorious music.
I began listening to opera with compilations that included Luciano Pavarotti & Mirella Freni recordings, and they will always be my favorite Rodolfo & Mimi.



(source)



And last but certainly not least:


(source)


To be honest, Mimi Imfurst was not my favorite contestant last season on "RuPaul's Drag Race." And to be even more honest, the last season of "Drag Race" was not my favorite -- Raja is high fashion but isn't really a drag QUEEN (plus her personality was the worst) and the whole "Heathers vs. Boogers" thing was repulsive to me. I know this is a reality competition show about drag queens for heaven's sake, but I guess we won't be seeing classy winners like Bebe Zahara Benet for a while. (CAMEROOOOOON!)

Okay, polish.

I've been in a purple mood lately and I was SO close to choosing Zoya Yara from Courtney as my last pick from her stash, but purple won out! I believe Mimi is one of Courtney's favorite polishes for pedis, and she recently used it as a base under Lynnderella Love Potion No. 99 here.

Her picture is far more color accurate than my first attempt below, which is too blue. Between the glass fleck and the purple, my phone cam almost exploded. (Not literally, but you know.)





Three and a half coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast, my new HG top coat for Zoya! The last shot I have is the most color accurate.











You can go here and here to see other pictures of Mimi that I consider accurate, in different lighting.

You've probably seen this one a bajillion times; in case you haven't, this polish contains a sparkly glass fleck finish in a cool purple jelly base. I think the glass fleck has a little bit of duochrome to it, which flashes mostly pink, though in some lights you can see light gold. The jelly base is more of a cool "neon" purple to me, closer to polishes like Orly Charged Up than to something like Milani Rad purple. The glass fleck definitely warms up the royal purple base color.

I needed three coats to get this opaque, and then the half coat to cover up some bald spots. The formula on this was pretty good, and it applied easily. No problems with this at all. I did have some issues using the brush, but that's simply user error ... I'm not completely used to Zoyas yet.

Mimi was part of Zoya's ever popular summer 2010 Sparkle collection, which gave us the iconic Charla (as well as my personal faves from this collection, Nidhi and Ivanka). You can buy it on Zoya's website for $8, as well as through many e-tailers on Amazon and eBay. I've even seen the brand in some beauty supply shops and at Ulta, though I'm not sure if Mimi is in the core Zoya display there.


Now as for Wicked Fast, I'm not alone in my troubles of finding a great Zoya-compatible top coat: SV = noooope; SH Insta-Dry = doesn't dry, Poshe = dries but I get tip wear after one night and it's not shiny, more waxy?, Essie Good to Go = dries slowly and chips aplenty. All Lacquered Up's Zoya wear test shows that one of Zoya's ingredients, cellulose acetate butyrate, doesn't play well with other popular base and top coats that also contain it.

Enter Wicked Fast. After asking my friends L & J how much they liked this top coat (A LOT), I bought this and Get it On when Maria offered free shipping for the Cult's first anniversary a few weeks ago. (Note: As Maria states here, Wicked Fast is B3F but DOES contain camphor.) I tried it over Mimi and not only did it dry wonderfully overnight, but it's also shiny and I saw no significant tip wear until the morning of Day Three. If it sounds like I'm nitpicking, I'm not -- I just want a top coat that dries with Zoyas and I've finally found it! I'm pleased to say that there will be many Zoya posts in the next few months. Thank you, Maria! You can buy Wicked Fast from the Cult Nails shop for $8, or with Get it On for $15.


All in all, I think this was a successful stash swap, at least on my end. :) Many thanks to Courtney for letting me borrow her pretties, even if I did hang on to them for a while! I'm still drooling over China Glaze Swing Baby and I'm adding Mimi to my Zoya Exchange order later this spring, and hopefully I can get some better pictures of it later. We're hoping to do another stash swap again this summer, but in the meantime, check out the first of her three picks from my stash, Orly La Playa.

If you read through all of that, I salute you! I tried so hard to make this post a little entertaining because my pictures are SO BAD. ;__;

Talk to me about Zoyas, top coats, Wicked Fast, or "Drag Race." (OMG, THE PIT CREW. And I actually think I prefer "Drag U" -- its purpose and overall tone are more positive, and I love watching some of my favorite queens werk their magic on "biological women.") Season Four of "RuPaul's Drag Race" just started and airs Monday nights on LOGO at 9/8c. You also can watch this and previous seasons online at LogoTV.com.

It's only appropriate to end this post in true Ru fashion with advice that I would do well to remember:
"If you can't love yourself, how in the HELL are you gonna love someone else? Can I get an amen?"

AMEN.

8 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo!!! This looks AMAZING on you, and I'm SO proud of you for stepping WAY outside your comfort zone on this one! Can't wait to see the other Zoyas you'll add to your stash! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My pictures of this one are so very bad that this means a LOT to me. <3 I think a Lippmann glitter might be in store next time around!!! ;)

      Delete
  2. this is really gorgeous on you!! another lemming..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear! But I bet this would look baller on you. GET IT!!!!

      Delete
  3. Gotta love the RuPaul picture!! Love this purple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO you have NO idea how much I love Ru's TV shows. Ugh. This is a great purple, even if it's not fun to photograph!

      Delete
  4. Yes, she is! She's more fun to wear than photograph, but that's okay. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.