Friday, February 3, 2012

National Wear Red Day with Illamasqua Throb

Here's a red polish post for National Wear Red Day!

Cardiovascular disease awareness is definitely in my blood -- literally, since it runs on my mom's side of the family, and figuratively, since both my parents are medical professionals. Perhaps some of you have even experienced some heart health issues yourself or even dealt with losses in your own family. Please, take the time to visit your doctor and get screened, and consider what changes you can make in your own lifestyle in terms of diet and exercise!


When Illamasqua launched their Throb collection last winter for Valentine's Day, I was more interested in Load (LOL FOREVER) than Throb. For one, at this point as a collector, I've amassed more than few red cremes. And quite frankly, $14 was more than I wanted to pony up to shove my hand in my boyfriend's face and say, "GUESS WHAT THIS IS CALLED KEKEKEKEKE" while he's playing Skyrim. (Let's be real, I'll probably text him later.)

But when my girl Jacqui put Throb up on her blog sale last month, I knew I couldn't pass it up. I've been reading nothing but good things about this polish so I was stoked to be able to give it a try!




Two coats with Essie Good to Go.

The first three pictures are closest to what this polish actually looks like on me, while the last two pictures are the most color accurate.










Let's start with the good: I only needed two coats for opaque coverage. The formula on my bottle ran a bit thick, but it's nothing thinner can't fix. Otherwise, it practically applied itself -- I love that about Illamasquas.

The bad? The color. UGH. Every other description I have read of this touts Throb as a cherry red, but on my wackadoo skin tone, it was more "cherry by way of TOMATO." Only in certain lights did it look remotely cherry. Merp. Although I used to be a person who didn't wear red polish, I do love it now, provided it looks good in different lights! This definitely does not, so this red must sashay away.

You can purchase Throb directly from the Illamasqua website, but if you're in the U.S., I know it's easier to grab it for $14 at Sephora. Now that you saw how this looks on me, I think you'll excuse me for being glad I didn't pay full price for it!

Did you get anything from the Throb collection? Are you wearing any red today? :) I've removed this manicure already in favor of my weekend color, but I've got a red sweater on and it is obnoxiously bright.

Have a good weekend, and thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I TOTALLY forgot that yesterday was National Wear Red Day(see, it's my excuse to drink Diet Coke alllll day =) )

    But now I'm wearing Size Matters...so that kinda counts, right? lol

    I'm so mad at myself that I forgot this year :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. O NOES! :( OMG, I haven't done a full NOTD with Size Matters ... but that color makes me die with its deep berry red goodness!

      Delete
  2. Such a beautiful red!! I need to keep this day in mind next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And I hope you do -- it's one of the few efforts/causes I support fully! :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.