Saturday, March 24, 2012

China Glaze Riveting, and how "The Hunger Games" made me sick

You've probably seen this one several times. However, I wanted to wear one of my "Hunger Games" polishes during the movie's opening weekend. I watched it yesterday afternoon and got not a touch, but a bitch-slap of vertigo that no movie has given me since the Bourne trilogy!

I had to get up during the middle of the movie to walk around, and after the movie was over, I had to sit in my car for twenty minutes before I felt okay to drive home. (Vertigo for me is worse than my worst hangovers.) SKIP THIS MOVIE IF YOU HAVE SEVERE VERTIGO. No matter how Team Peeta or Team Gale you are, it's not worth it. :( As a former videography student and general lover of film, I'll admit that the handheld/"shaky cam"/faux-documentary technique of shooting has its merits, but they were completely unnecessary for the non-Games parts of this movie. My problem with this technique is that most of the time, it looks sloppy, cheap, affected and untrue to the tone of your story, not to mention poorly edited. NOT EVERYTHING IS CINEMA VERITE. PROPERLY FRAMED SHOTS, PLZKTHX.
I'm not a fan of the books, so the only things I wanted out of this movie were the tie-in polishes. The PR images didn't do a lot for me, so I was astounded to see how much better they were in person! I have some naily friends who think this collection was disappoint, but I'm pretty vanilla. I actually was fairly impressed not so much with the color palette and more with the execution of all of my choices except one.

And holy crap, this is so not that one. This is love, sweet love. --Top 20 2012 material, even!

Supposedly, Riveting represents District 3 (and technology).




Two easy coats with Essie Good to Go.

















Riveting is a gorgeous orange polish with shimmery orange and golden flecks. At first glance, it looks like a foil, but it's really got a jelly base and the on the nail, you can sort of see what looks like very fine glass flecks. I'm not totally sure how to categorize this one -- the jelly is what makes me think glass fleck. It's easily opaque in two coats, no issues with VNL at all. The formula is very smooth and dries quickly.

I adore this type of orange, mostly because it works for any season and skin tone! The glass fleck is a great twist to it -- but I think I'm a glass fleck hoor. If I could have a glass fleck in every color, I'd be in nail polish heaven!

The China Glaze Colours from The Capitol collection is out now at Sally's and Ulta, as well as online at various e-tailers. I don't know if these are limited edition or just how limited edition they are, so grab them if you see something you like! I was lucky enough to grab three of these at Sally's one night last month after randomly stopping by to visit Tara as she got off from work. (She is my lucky charm, after all!)


No shade, but you could say that the name of this polish expresses the exact opposite of how I felt about the books! My friend kindly let me borrow them a couple of years ago when the movie deal was made official, and I was curious about the hype. Well ... they took me foreverrrrrrr to read. As in, MONTHS. I am all for a dystopian novel, but I didn't care too much for the characters and the writing just seemed tedious (says the girl who read Tristram Shandy ...). To put it diplomatically, I'll say that I'm mostly an academic reader and that I have no interest in reading anything that comes from the bookstore section where you'd typically find the "Hunger Games" series.

Did you see the movie already, or are you going to check it out this weekend? Displeasures aside, I'm happy to report that Jennifer Lawrence owned the movie LIKE A BOSS. Any other polishes you just HAD to have from this collection? Or do you suffer from ridiculous vertigo, like I do? --I'm willing to bet my anemia is acting up again ... I'm always woozy from stupid things when something like this happens.

In true ironic fashion, this "Hunger Games" post took me forever to write, but I kept coming back to it in between doing chores and listening to the Met Opera's radio broadcast of Verdi's "Macbeth." This is the first time I've listened to the whole thing, and I LOVE it just as much as I love this polish. I might have to buy a recording soon!

18 comments:

  1. Oh no, I'm worried now. I get really bad vertigo, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we already talked about this but you survived! So yay for you!

      Delete
  2. Aw, that sucks! I get really bad vertigo too, but I was ok with the movie. There were a few shots I just had a hard time following 'cause the camera was moving so quickly, but nothing too bad.

    I SO tried to get Riveting to wear, as I bought and (STUPIDLY STUPIDLY STUPIDLY) returned Hard Candy Lava a while back. I thought this would fill the void, but it was sold out everywhere!

    I really liked the movie, but it's only about half as good as the book! Though, I suppose that's just about always the case. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the books ALWAYS are better, especially given what passes for Hollywood creativity these days. I took a couple of screenwriting classes in college and was surprised how much we had to dumb ideas down so they would fit within the basic formula of plot/concept outlining. LAME.

      NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I hope you can get this color! You would rock it, girl!

      Delete
  3. Oh that sucks! I noticed the shaky camera in the movie, but I guess I didn't pay much attention to it. It didn't really bother me, but then again I don't have vertigo. I'm sorry you do and that you had such a bad experience. :( Riveting is gorgeous though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okay, I lived LOL. But thanks, Melissa! I just notice a LOT of things -- this wasn't nearly as bad as the Bourne movies and I was already feeling a bit woozy that day, which probably didn't help.

      Delete
  4. I am not sure I will even see the movie. Most times movies ruin the book for me. And I just loved book one. The other two were not as great for me. I like this riveting. Haven't gotten it yet but the more I see it, the more I want it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going to say this about Riveting ... YOU NEEEEEEEEEEEED THE PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

      Okay? Okay!

      Delete
  5. That really sucks that you had troubles watching the movie =( I do have a touch of vertigo and it didn't bother me but I can definitely see what you mean about the camera and whatnot (hubby pointed it our a few times, as he is a filmmaker himself). Anyways, at least your mani was bangin! I love Riveting, it's definitely my favorite from the collection. It looks fantastic on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqui! <3 I think it might be my favorite, too! (I haven't even worn the others as full manis yet ... yeah.)

      Delete
  6. Riveting is SO pretty.. I didn't pick this up the first time I saw the display, but I will probably pick it up the next time I do (hopefully it is still available!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can get it!!! I think it would look great on you!

      Delete
  7. I am with ya - Riveting is in the running already for my top 20 list of 2012! So sorry about the movie making you icky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so beautiful, right? UGHHHHHHHH this might be the year China Glaze whoops OPI's butt for me. (I've been a huge OPI stan since I got into polish -- they're easy for me to find and they wear really well on me but I just haven't been into what they've been putting out lately.)

      Delete
  8. I LOVE Riveting. So much. I did see Hunger Games at the midnight opening while I was in Veeegas. Coincidentally, I fell asleep for a lot of the movie, apparently during all the good scenes, because I walked out thinking "meh" and my friends liked it. All I can say is the cave scene is ridiculous and Peeta comes out like a creepster stalker. And I wanted the movie to show her damn flame nails! I painted my friend's nails like I had imagined them to be in the book, and they were pretty beast. Miss ya Rach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMFAO nooooo you probably fell asleep because you were tired! I saw the most hysterical .gif with Katniss and Gale but someone photoshopped Peeta's painted rock face into the photo ... if I can find it, I'll send it to you because your comment basically reminded me of that .gif!!!!!!! I miss you too!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I really loved it.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.