Thursday, March 15, 2012

Dior Underground + BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH

What'd you guys do for Pi Day yesterday? I ate cake (oops) but watched my favorite episode of "Pushing Daisies" (Season One, Episode Six: "Bitches" -- Joel McHale as a polygamist dog breeder), so it all worked out in the end. :)

Okay, polish.

Last week, I added a poll atop the blog sidebar that asked y'all to help me choose my next NOTD for spring. It closed with a tie between a green from a Spring 2011 collection, and a polish from a nontraditional spring collection. Since I'm hoping to wear something green on Saturday, I made the executive decision to go with something from Dior's Spring 2011 Rock Your Nails collection.

Brown isn't exactly the usual spring color, but I can wear it year round. And if we're being literal, as I have a tendency to be (no, thank you, IB English), then "Underground" is the perfect name for this particular brown! It's sophisticated yet grungy, and fits the word "rock" in terms of the musical scene and in terms of actual soil. See? Perfect for spring!

Oh. My. God. I just had Nam flashbacks of IB English II. Before I start marking up passages, mumbling to myself and rocking in a corner, here are my icky pictures. :/





Two coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast.











And what it looks like on me 80% of the time:





This looks like melted chocolate, doesn't it? :D I wish I could have captured just how rich this really is. I think this would work on a variety of skin tones -- depending on the light you have, it can look either warm or cool.

The formula was lovely creme goodness with the subtle shimmer that is in every Dior polish I own. The shimmer doesn't show up on the nail, though, but I'm not really pressed about it. But the shimmer is there in the bottle, I swear. Sam at Fashion Polish has some pictures that show it much better than mine!

You can still find Underground on Dior.com along with the rest of its collection mates. (Be sure to sign up for the Dior Diva program so you can get free shipping with orders over $50!) The Rock Your Nails collection quickly elevated to grabby hands/must have status for me when I saw the PR images last year. Diors cost an insane amount of money (at least $23 a pop), but the brand is my high-end, department-store counter kryptonite despite the cost per fluid ounce and the broomy brush they've adopted. It took me roughly a month and a half to secure the entire collection for myself, and they've sat in my Helmer for an embarrassingly long time. BUT NO MORE.

Observation: The more I use Wicked Fast, the more I find that it's a great top coat if you plan to keep your polish on for a day or so. Yes, it cooperates better with some difficult brands in terms of shrinkage, but I've noticed that my nails aren't totally dry until the end of Day One. Oh sure, I can still clack my nails together and they're pretty glassy, but almost rubbery/tacky at the same time -- the slightest pressure or graze against the wall/hard surface can ding or chip my mani. It's weird.

What do you think of this polish? Is there another Rock Your Nails polish that you'd like to see in a post in the coming weeks? Thoughts on Dior and their dumb broom brushes? How do you feel about brown shades for spring? Or are there any IBers in the house? (I was part IB -- but that was enough!)


In the interest of today being the Ides of March, I give you this clip from an indie geek gem called "Free Enterprise." The reason this clip is so significant is because William Shatner is playing, well, William Shatner. He gets approached by two fans who want him to star in their movie, although he would rather perform a one-man version of Shakespeare's "Julius Caesar." I didn't know this, but this rap was his idea. And it's COMEDY GOLD. (I don't understand how Phil LaMarr held it together for this scene -- it must be because Phil LaMarr is a frakking professional.)





NO TEARS FOR CAESAR.

12 comments:

  1. thats a nice brown, I haven't had this problem with Wicked Fast but I do know it doesn't play nicely with my older formula polishes :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know it was like that! Hmmm. I just know that it's thinner and not self-leveling, so I don't expect it to work with problematic polish. :(

      Delete
  2. i've just recently been getting more into browns [Lynnderella's Chocolotta Love started that for me], and this looks like a great one. the problem with my branching out polish-wise is that i now feel the need to fill the holes in my collection by buying more polish. oops?

    & my boyfriend was an IBer, but we didn't have that at my school, so i was an AP kid. fun times? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea, I admit I am stumped by what IB English means. AP I know from around here - but was added LONG after I left school They used to just skip us, use Honors English and Honors History classes. Then they just started by Jr. yr to send us off to the local Junior College for courses, realizing it was far better for us to take Soc and Psych at the JC then take them at HS! - I still have to look up what IB even means!

      Delete
    2. Sarah- I just caught up on your blog, I hope your BF is doing better! :( OMG, even being part IB was a beast ... but I learned a lot more than I would have in regular classes at my high school.

      And I think browns are so freaking classic (brown branches off of my taupe obsession) and simple ... there's a brown for every skin tone. If you need any more brown suggestions, you should check out the Nubar Chocolate collection from a couple of years ago (I *think* that's what it was called).

      Delete
  3. I love this color, it looks amazing on you!! I don't have nearly enough browns in my collection. I probably say this all the time because you're always posting such lovely brown shades on here and I always think of how I don't have enough good ones in my collection.

    Anyways, I recently picked up Dior Waterlily, and as lovely as the polish was (I loved the rose scent it had as well), the brush caused me to shout profanites while I was painting my nails. I got so fed up that I tried to perform brush surgery and cut it into a better shape. MAJOR fail. Now my bottle of Waterlily has little black bristles throughout because I didn't brush off enough of the excess after I cut the brush. Plus, the brush is even crappier now after trying to trim the bristles. The point of the story - I hate Dior brushes, but love the polish. Whyyyyy Dior??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got into the browns after the major first wave hit and realized it was the IT shade to be wearing. Now I wear less browns than before.

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Jacqui! Awww, if I had known that you were looking for some good browns, I would have sent you some last week! (Oh well, next time. Hee hee.)

      So sorry to hear that your brush surgery did not turn out as hoped! :'( I think if the brushes were thinner in width, it wouldn't be so hard to work with. I've got to try Waterlily ... hopefully my brush isn't as fail whale as yours. SAD.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a # of browns I have. I just hate to pay Dior prices and Chanel prices too but so often fall for their shades! However the old mom's brand, Este Lauder has been beefing up their shades in the past year I must say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you there -- there are a couple of Chanels I have my eye on right now, despite the fact that they aren't the most original shades! Oh yeah, didn't Estee Lauder introduce some new core colors last year? They're kind of old hat for us collectors, but if I didn't know any better, I would probably grab some of them. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh how I love this brown and all browns in general! Dior is so expensive but they really make great colors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days, I'm going to dedicate a brown polish post to you! :P

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.