Monday, March 26, 2012

Essie Cute as a Button

One color that I was majorly on the hunt for last summer was my perfect pink coral. I went out and added a few to my stash, never wore them, and hereby am not allowing myself to go hunt for a summery gold polish until I give some of these pinky corals a try, damn it.

Here's the first one up to bat, the headliner from Essie's Summer 2009 Cute as a Button collection. (It's NOT the resort collection that gave us the North Fork collection or the neons that came out that year -- based on a few years of observation, I think Essie releases an annual resort collection as well as a regular summer collection.)





Three coats with Essie Good to Go.











I was prepared to hate this, but I fell HARD. This pink coral is lighter and a bit more salmon/peach pink than the deeper, slightly more reddish corals like OPI I Eat Maine-ly Lobster, Rescue Beauty Lounge Coral, and even Essie Peach Daiquiri. I'm really, really digging it! The formula was classic Essie and went on smoothly and evenly. I would just wait a couple of minutes in between coats to avoid any bald spots and cuticle dragging.

I see myself using Cute as a Button more as a mani shade than a pedi shade, but either way, it would be killer on a tanner complexion. I wasn't too wowed by this collection when it first came out, but when you're looking for your perfect shade, you'll try anything!

Cute as a Button is a core polish in the Essie retail collection -- I think my bottle came from Target, but you can score it at any drugstore that carries the core Essie retail polishes as well as at WalMart. I imagine you also can find it at salons and beauty supplies, and it's really ETF online. (As a bonus, here are the blogs that had some of my favorite swatches of this collection -- and others -- back in the day: The Polish Addict and Steph's Closet.)

UGH. I really love this. There's a reason it's a core polish, damn it! Totally a surprise favorite for me.




Any opinions on this Essie? Pink coral polishes? What colors will you be hunting for this summer?

16 comments:

  1. LOL that picture. I've seen it multiple times but it still makes me laugh.

    Also you make that pink look MAJOR HAWT. Even I would wear it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DOAKES, MOTHAFUCKA!

      ... and thank you! That's so thweet. <3

      Delete
  2. LMFAO at that graphic! Anyways, this is an awesome color! I always overlook this in the Essie display, but I'm really into peachy, coral-y colors right now and this one is right up my alley. I can see myself layering a gold shimmery top coat on there. Love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man!!! If I had known this, I would have sent it to you to try, too! :) I don't know what's in the water because yeah ... I see peachy corals all over the place and I'm like, "Oh hellooooooooo," George Takei voice and all.

      Delete
  3. THAT GIF ALWAYS MAKES ME LAUGH.

    Also, yelling that was totally necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALWAYS!

      And oh yeah. If you go to that tumblr, there are more hilarious .gifs -- I think one has him with a big hat saying, "TEA TIME, MUTHAFUCKA!"

      Delete
  4. I love the name-but not a fan of the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL it's not vampy enough for you, Fingers!

      Delete
  5. Oh you are so like me...hunt and hunt, get them and then not try them. I actually think I have to change my storage set up to by color because I know I have things I want to wear vs. buying more. This is a classic for Essie as you probably know. It's a much coveted shade by a lot of collectors. It's looking fab on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I've debated changing my storage set-up as well, but I am WAY too brand-OCD to actually enact one. I probably should since I pull all the similar colors out, anyway. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. This looks great on you! Coral looks marvelous with your skin! I'm always tempted by this polish because it just looks so cute and feminine. Plus I think it may be similar to Butter London Trout Pout which I really want but am trying to dupe at a lower price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chelsea! You know, I didn't even think about Trout Pout. (Would you believe Trout Pout and Knackered are the only colors from the bL spring collection that I just don't GAF about?!) But now I'm curious to see if this would be a dupe, too!

      Delete
  7. I love this shade; it looks so good! & I love the pic at the end :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) It just looks so juicy and ahhhhhhh, love.

      Delete
  8. really looks amazing on you! i have this, love it especially in the summer. my housemates love it too haha. it's one of my most depleted polishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you know what, this would probably look amazing on you, Sarah! If your housemates use it up, make them get you another bottle ;)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.