Saturday, March 10, 2012

FingerPaints Lemon Sour

I own several yellows that I don't wear enough (or wear ... ever), but I wound up acquiring this polish for three reasons.

  1. Scrangie really liked it.
  2. I recently renewed my Sally's card and my $5 coupon was burning a hole in my pocket.
  3. I finished reading this book on Tuesday and it seemed like the thing to do. More on the book later.

    (click here to buy from Amazon)


Here's the thing with Lemon Sour: you think you're going to get the run-of-the-mill, demure lemon/banana yellow pastel creme ...




... but that's not really the case. This lemon shade is somewhere between the typical pastel yellow I described, and a sunny yellow. It's bright and almost bold, but just soft enough to be considered a pastel.
I used three coats with SV.














This wasn't the most difficult yellow I've ever worked with (that honor goes to OPI Banana Bandana), but it wasn't the best, either. To be sure, it's really, really hard to find a great yellow creme that will cover opaquely in less than three coats without streaking. The formula on this yellow was kind of thick (I imagine thinning it would have helped), and streaked for the first two coats (I used the thinnest coats I could manage) before becoming opaque at three. It looks lumpy around the edges of the nail, but SV leveled most of it out.

EDIT: I wore this for four days, which is when it started chipping and peeling on me. I'm definitely not going to complain about four days, especially not with a yellow!!!

Lemon Sour is part of the FingerPaints Gumdrops & Lollipops limited edition spring collection. The collection is currently available at Sally's for $4.99 a bottle; if you're patient, try to wait for it to go on clearance, or you can be like me and grab it as soon as you can! (I learned my lesson with FingerPaints Blissfully Blue two years ago -- it was a limited edition polish that I missed out on and was lucky enough to swap for.)


About the book: I started reading Aimee Bender's short stories in college after a girl in my short fiction writing class workshopped an excellent story that our professor said reminded him of Aimee Bender's stories. I read two of her pieces in The Girl With the Flammable Skirt and loved them, so I grabbed Lemon Cake when I saw it on sale at a local bookseller's last October but actually didn't start reading it until last week. Because this is novel-length, I was hoping it would take on the style of Bender's short stories, only more fleshed out -- upon finishing the novel, I thought it met about 70% of that expectation. I gave myself another day to mull it over and decided that it was fine the way it was! I wouldn't categorize Aimee Bender's work as magical realism, though it does contain similar elements. I liked this book and I'd recommend Flammable Skirt if you wanted to get a taste for her style (pun intended).

Another thing this polish reminds me of?



(source: gallery of the absurd)


If you don't get a giggle out of this, I don't think we should be friends. ;)

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. LMAO, don't quote me but I'm pretty sure this was from an ancient ONTD post and I about died when I saw this. TOO GOOD.

      Delete
  2. 1) DYING over the lemon candies.

    2) I am going to the library today to get The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake!

    3) I wish I could wear yellow. :( I like this color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1) RIGHT?!
      2) Yay! I hope you like it. Was it on your list for a long time?
      3) Awww, sad. There are lots of colors I wish I could wear (OH HELLO LIGHT PURPLE), so I know how you feel ;__;

      Delete
    2. I'm halfway through and I really like it! I've got The Girl in the Flammable Skirt on hold right now.

      I can wear light purple so I guess that's the tradeoff. No yellows for me, but yes light purples!!!

      Delete
  3. Okay, its decided... I need this polish! Beautiful swatches, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for the comment! It made my day <3

      Delete
  4. Ooo I like the polish! & I love the last photo :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do! :) And thank you, LOL.

      Delete
  5. Just left out of Sallys with this polish. Your swatches just confirmed my purchase as a great one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for leaving this sweet comment! It was so nice to come home to. :) Hope that polish doesn't give you any trouble!

      Delete
  6. i love reading your posts - love admission on your fb page, but I didn't smile at the candy picture - i am sick though, so it is forgivable (like that is how you spell it), right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you! Feel better soon.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.