Friday, March 30, 2012

Return of the Stash Swap: Illamasqua Load

Jacqui, the proprietress of The Scholarly Nail, has become one of my dearest MUA nb friends thanks to our 140-character conversations about everything from the worst reality TV shows, law school (she's pretty set on this, I'm not), candy, and popular '90s movies. One night last December, she posed a general question: "What are the crown jewels of your stash?"

I don't remember what else I responded with, only that I started singing my praises about China Glaze Paper Chasing, saying she HAD TO try it ... and then a stash swap was born. We picked three from each other's stashes but between her classes and my general job/life crazy, we didn't have the time to do this properly until recently. (The answer is YOU MAKE THE TIME.)

This was the first one I knew I wanted to borrow! It's actually more flattering on the nail than you'd think. (Edited to say that today = National Cleavage Day. Yeah ... it's a thing. Also, LMAO.)

Note: These photos were taken after two days of wear. My nails looked pretty horrific right after I painted them, so I went to bed and then didn't have the time to do pictures when I woke up.





Four coats with SV. Yes, four.















As we all know by now, Load is an off-white shade (creamy or not creamy? DISCUSS) that carries a bit of yellow in it. I didn't think it was really that white until I put it next to one of the palest yellows I have. It's more like the off-white of, say, a kitchen appliance.



L-R: LeChat Dare to Wear Rue St. Vincent, Illamasqua Load, American Apparel Butter


Normally, Illamasqua's formulas are thin and wonderful and require two coats. Of course, this being a pastel, there were some ... complications. Load was streaky and uncooperative as all hell. Jacqui said I could thin it if I had to, but I get really weird about messing with other people's stuff, you know? I'm not sure if it was my top coat, but I got little fuzzies and stuff on my nail, too. It dries kind of lumpy, but use a self-leveling top coat -- it'll be fine in a few hours. All in all, I liked the final result on me and I would not be surprised if this polish jumped into my next Sephora cart! Thanks, Jacqui!

Load was part of last February's Throb collection from Illamasqua. It's currently available in the U.S. at Sephora.com. That link should take you right to Sephora's Illamasqua nail varnish page.

And here's a bonus picture with my favorite soda at the moment. (That's "Psych" Season Four on DVD in the background, whaaaaaaaaat? I'm not sure why I have the sudden need to catch up on this show for serious ...)





So what do you think of Load? Illamasqua names, God love 'em? Stash swaps? Stay tuned next week for my other two picks!

Any exciting plans for this weekend? A local high school is putting on "Little Shop of Horrors" and my parents and I are planning to go tomorrow night. They have never heard of this play or seen the movie before, so I might have more fun watching their reactions to things than watching the play. My parents are too busy to take in a good deal of pop culture, and it's fallen on me to be an ambassador, so to speak.

12 comments:

  1. I totally needed four coats, too! If I'm careful and I'm layering it under something, I try to get away with three. I like it still though, because I needed a not-so-white...er, white. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I think I might have been able to do three coats if I had been more careful with my base coats too. But I REALLY like this a lot and SV saved the day in the end. :)

      Delete
  2. this looks really good on you. it's been on my wishlist forEVER now, but i can't seem to make myself spend $14 on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah, if you have olive-toned skin, I can see this one looking good on you too! Maybe you'll luck out and find it on a blog sale or with a Sephora coupon?

      Delete
  3. I would be upset spending that kind of $ and needing to do 4 coats when it's supposed to be an opaque formula.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normally that kind of thing would upset me, too ... but I can forgive this one because I REALLY like it on me! Supposedly Nubar Yellow Primrose from last year's Spring Garden collection is similar, based on swatches from Temptalia & Kellie Gonzo:

      http://www.temptalia.com/nubar-spring-garden-collection-swatches-photos-review-part-2

      http://www.kelliegonzo.com/2011/03/nubar-spring-garden-collection.html

      Delete
  4. Yeah, she's a bit finicky but the end result looks amazing on you! Load is seriously my perfect neutral color, I have worn it quite a few times (which is rare for me). It's fun and non mannequin hand-ish, not too white, not too yellow. Ahhh love love love! So glad that we decided to do the stash swap, such a great idea and I can't wait to try the ones you sent me! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for letting me try it! <3 I LOOOOOOVED how it turned out. I would wear the heck out of it I had my own bottle :)

      And yeah, I enjoy the mannequin hands effect at times, but Load was something different yet totally awesome.

      Delete
  5. I needed either three or four coats when I used this one; I can't remember. I do remember waiting a long time between coats and having an easier time with application. I do love this polish, and I think it looks great on you.

    And the name <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup! I had to wait a little while in between coats, but I owe a lot to SV for making this look great in the end. :) Thanks lady!

      Throb, Load, Kink, and Taint ... wondering what they'll do next. Is there a Snatch? There should be a Snatch!

      Delete
  6. I love illamasqua. My fave is phallic. Plus it's fun to say phallic! Am not sure about this Load. And why are the lighter colors always a PITA to apply?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, I can't get down with Phallic ... it was too dark for me. I'm not pale enough for it. :( It's the Pastel Disease, I'm afraid! I really think I'll get Load next time a bigger Sephora code comes my way. 15%? Are you kidding me?

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.