Monday, March 12, 2012

NEW: Nicole by OPI Nothing Kim-pares to Blue

Happy Monday! I've added a new poll to the right sidebar, so you can help me choose another March NOTD. :)


Not to sound like a douchecanoe, but I have days where I feel like I contribute more to society than Kim Kardashian. However, I will grant her a temporary reprieve solely because of this polish from a new Nicole by OPI Kardashian collection themed around her. The collection is called Wel-Kim to My World, and this polish is called Nothing Kim-pares to Blue.

These names, SMH.

Anyway, this polish is a little paler than these photos, but not pale enough for me to feel the need to color correct it. Trust.





Three coats with SV.











I'm tagging this under "cornflower blue" because of the base color here -- it's lighter than, say, Orly Snowcone or my first cornflower love, Maybelline Pie in the Sky, but definitely in that color family. To me, the word "periwinkle" suggests lilac/purple tones, which are absent here.

Also, I'm ~kim-pletely~ loving the delicate white/silver glass-fleck shimmer in this polish. IMO, the glass fleck is what sets this apart from all the other cornflower shades I've seen before! The glass fleck was an awesome way to jazz up the usual cornflower blue cremes that I already love. (I have nothing like this.) It's like the cornflower cousin of Sinful Colors Cinderella.

Formula-wise, this was a little streaky, but I think this would have been even more so without the glass fleck. It looked semi-sheer on the first coat, and you WILL need 3.5 coats for opacity. I say ".5" because I could have benefited from an additional half swipe! Use a light touch to avoid cuticle drag. I think this polish would have been a little easier to apply if the brushes were of the older skinny NOPI brush variety, not these broom things.

As I said earlier, Nothing Kim-pares to Blue (... cringe.) is part of the new NOPI Kardashian Wel-Kim to My World collection out for this spring. I bought my bottle at Ulta on Saturday night for $7.99. To prove that I am a sucker for certain colors despite their inspirations, I have two other Kardashian Kolors (ugh) that debuted in December, and I hope to post them one of these days!


I won't make the usual remarks regarding the "controversy" surrounding Kim's claim to fame, her marriage(s) or the authenticity of her derriere, so I will say this: homegirl can ugly cry. Let me preface what I'm about to say by acknowledging that most of us look like shit when we cry, reality TV =/= real life and that again I shouldn't judge, but Kim's ~problems just seem so trivial in comparison to, well, everyone else's (this coming from a girl with a nail blog, ffs). So of course I laugh.

Sure, Kourtney does it ... which may be a little mean (read: NOT cruel). It just strikes me as something sisters do. I don't know how else to explain it.




(source: exact origins unknown, as this .gif has been floating around
on Tumblr and ONTD for quite some time!)


Also, here is my favorite cover of "Nothing Compares 2 U." (This entire CD FTMFW.)



13 comments:

  1. I'm sitting here ugly crying over how much I like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH NOES. I'm thinking there's a new Sinful that might be dupey. I haven't seen it yet, though!

      (I'm ugly crying at the idea of buying more of these.)

      Delete
  2. The colors from this collection are all so pretty but you're absolutely right about the names. They are vomit-inducing! I don't watch the Kardashians so I've never seen Kim's ugly crying face before but I have to say I was thoroughly amused by the gallery link you posted. It was impressively hideous crying hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it me, or are all the companies really piling it on with the puns these days?! All I've seen of the Kardashians are what's on "The Soup," or featured in clips and .gifs on ONTD, hahaha. ONTD is the best.

      Delete
  3. Goddamnit, you include a nautical-themed polish as one of your choices AND YOU KNOW I CANNOT RESIST. Indefatigable, come back to me~!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :3 HORNBLOWER REWATCH THIS WEEKEND DSLFJDSFLKDSJFL"DSKJFL"DSKJF

      Delete
  4. OK Douchecanoe? WTF is that? I've heard douchebag before-maybe you are nautical obsessed? This really is a pretty color but I wouldn't buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I don't think you'd go for these kinds of colors ... not vampy enough! You might get some decent stamping out of the cremes, though.

      Delete
  5. Definitely is a cornflower blue. It's pretty but I have a lot of others in this range...Skylar (Zoya), Don't Give A Rotterdam, Herring from the OPI Holland collection also and a couple from last year and the year before from Essie. I really hate the OPI Nicole bottles - so I try to look the other way and not fall for them. They just don't fit in my storage at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to hate NOPI bottles, but I've just given up. They're so awkward to store but I can forgive them as long as they keep pumping out some awesome shades. That dumb broom brush, though ... UGHHHHH.

      Delete
  6. Oho I like this one! I think it will probably make my hands look dead though :( and what is up with nopi and kim kardashian, they love her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, if you get a tan, this might work! ;) IDK ... but if Kardashian is what NOPI has to do to sell some great colors, I'll deal with it, haha.

      Delete
  7. I've been looking high and low for this beauty (which makes me sick since I feel the same way everyone else does about the K's)! Where did you manage to pick it up from?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.