Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Digging for (summery) gold: Essie Shift Power + a special golden guest

Re: the title of this post ... it's not Betty White. :-P

The quests for my perfect pink coral creme and my perfect apple-green shimmer merely just began, and though I don't know if adding another color family to the mix is a good idea, here I am anyway searching for a perfect summer gold. The search for this particular shade, I have to say, actually began sometime last year and derailed thanks to glass-flecked polishes. (Note: GLASS-FLECKED GOLD. MAKE IT SO.)

Last year, the Trade Secret/Beauty Express shops in my area slowly closed down and many of what I considered "boring" Essies were on clearance for all of $2 a pop. With that price point, I can find it in me to be boring! Shift Power, also known as "Shifting Power," was one of my clearance finds.

I just think it's funny how an Essie Winter 2008 release became my foray into my perfect summer gold.




Three coats with Essie Good to Go.










I've been sticking to pale yellow and champagne golds, and Shift Power is probably the warmest gold polish I've ever worn. (It's not as lobstery on me as it looks.) I don't know about you, but I tend to associate warmer golds with summer -- it must be all of those makeup sets and compacts advertising bronzy, golden summer glows! I hate getting darker, so polish is as far as I go with that.

The formula was watery and sheer, so I needed three coats for opacity. I had to wait in between coats to avoid bald patches and bubbling, but with top coat, it's well worth the wait!

I liked the color of this more than I thought I would, but the finish is where I got off board. Shift Power's finish is kind of weird: it's a shimmer somewhere between a chrome and a frost. It looks ultra frosty in the bottle but that disappears when top coat is applied, and it ends up looking very smooth. This may be your thing, I don't know (nice if you're after a more delicate look), but I need chunkier shimmer on this one. It's dangerously close to gross without it.

HOWEVER!, if you own Chanel Gold Fingers (as I do) and want to conserve the precious by layering (as I also do), Shift Power makes a most excellent base polish. Observe.



(click to enlarge!)


Now if Shift Power were more like this, you can bet I'd be buying a bottle for all of my girlfriends! (Also, you'll probably see a ton of reviews for Chanel Gold Fingers before I get around to reviewing it here ... but it will happen.)

So while Shift Power is by no means my perfect summer gold polish, it's a good start. What do you think? Any suggestions for a summery gold polish for me, or any faves you'd like to share?


P.S. Please check back tomorrow for a special announcement. :)

9 comments:

  1. Wow, I would normally not go for a color or finish like this but it's BEAUTIFUL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Apple! :) I feel exactly the same way.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love golds, and those two look fantastic on you! It's a little darker and dustier, but you could also give SHCSM Guilty Pleasure a shot. That one's my HG gold polish :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Naz! I'll be adding Gilty Pleasure to my next WalMart bender, so thank you for that suggestion as well. :) I've been eyeing that one for a while!

      Delete
  3. My favorite gold is Revlon Gold Coin! I also really like Orly Glitz & Glamour but it's discontinued.

    P.S. I hate getting tanner too...but I am ghostly pale so I don't really get tan, I just get pink.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I have Gold Coin ... but I feel like that's a winter gold for me. Thanks for the Orly suggestion -- I will have to check that out! <3

      P.S. If I stay indoors, I'll stay pale. Yes. That's how that's gonna work.

      Delete
  4. LOVE this Chanel - hate their prices - I know just what you are trying to get to with the summer gold. Lots of companies last year mixed gold foil with all kinds of colors - but not into a gold like someone should have (think Faye, It's My Year, Rally Racque Pink - or whatever that OPI Sr. Wms shade was called - and all the Zoyas in the collection with Faye - Sunshine collection). So my idea after all that is you need to mix maybe this Essie gold with some other gold shades - not so much layering - but mixing or you could try a jelly sand - but this Essie gold looks very opaque - you might take some of it and thin it down to try and make part of it a pseudo jelly or really more of a sheer. Mix some other sheers like Barre My Soul from OPI Ballet collection or any other sheers you have that are in a nude range.

    Another thought is to mix this Essie thinned out with something like Orly Rage (a fab shade that was released right after Xmas - it was a 3 some supposed to be for NYE. It will cool down the brassiness of the Essie you have - that's it's problem - it leans very brassy - but that's where it's warmth comes from I am sure you realize. Also try the thinned down Essie I suggested you make some of this into with OPI's Spark de Triumph - a topper from the Serena Wms' French Open - it's an amazing warm gold that have more oomph then what you have in the Chanel here....and lots cheaper to work with too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.