Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Return of the Stash Swap: Essie Bonded

I'm a little stressed out and full of feelings lately, and I've gone into full-blown panic mode. (I think this is worse than Classic Rach Academic Panic mostly because there was a payoff to academia-oriented panicking and I've been finding it harder to justify any of my decisions since graduating four years ago.) Only blogging, "Psych" DVD marathons and nervous eating will calm me. But you know what will make us all feel better?

That's right, too many pictures of my second pick from my current stash swap with Jacqui of The Scholarly Nail! She has quite the collection of vintage finds, and I knew that a stash swap with her required me to borrow one. It took me forever to wear, but when I FINALLY did, well ... helloooooo. /George Takei

I can only preface what you're about to see by saying that I have a red glass fleck problem. Well, Essie Bonded is more of a red jelly with glitter ... think China Glaze Ruby Pumps, only bright tomato red and with smaller silver and pink/red glitter.




Three coats with SV.



















They say that Bonded is the red version of the infamous and elusive Starry Starry Nights (obviously SSN doesn't have the red/pink glitter). Though I will never see a bottle of SSN in person, this knowledge was still nice to have! ***Also, my friend Lizzard says that she satisfied her SSN lemming by frankening a navy jelly like Wet n Wild Nocturnal with Essie Silver Bullions -- I hope this helps someone out there!*** (As far as I know, Jacqui hasn't posted any swatches of Bonded on The Scholarly Nail, but you can see SSN on her here.)

I really like the way the glitter peeks through the red jelly base! The glitter seems kind of demure to me, though -- I think it would shine much more if it were a bit chunkier, like the red glitter in Ruby Pumps and its dupes. Sometimes in low lights, this looks like a red creme.

The formula on this one was perfect, though I think that may be the trademark of non-B3F polishes. It went on the nail perfectly, and three coats will allow you to get this opaque while still receiving the full benefit of the microglitter shine through the jelly base. Dry time was fast with SV, and tip wear didn't occur until the third day of wear. I had some chipping on the corner of two nails at the end of the second day, but those corners have a history of peeling ever so slightly.

Bonded was part of Essie's six-piece Frozen Assets collection from Winter 2004. It's quite htf now, so you'd have to buy a complete set of the collection (which may be available on some sites if you search for it) if you wanted it. I'd advise you to also check eBay, or blog sales and swaps. You never know!

Here are three other blogs with helpful pictures of Essie Bonded:



Once again, a heartfelt thank you to Jacqui for loaning this polish to me! I can't believe it took me so long to wear and even though this glittery hasn't swayed me from my red glass flecks, I'm grateful for the chance to take this vintage baby for a spin. :) I've got my last pick from her stash coming up next, another polish from another older holiday release! Any guesses?

15 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! I'm so glad I got the chance to try it.

      Delete
  2. BEAUTIFUL! I have this one but it's untried - must rectify this situation ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristy! I can't wait to see your pictures -- I love reds on you. :)

      Delete
  3. This baby is drool-worthy, oh man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had seen this shade for $2 on one of the e-tailers about 5 months ago when it started to show up on eBay pretty regularly and going for $22 there typically. I WAS going to order it from the etailer but decided I really did not like it enough to order just that and pay the shipping - I was broke and needed to save $. Know what you mean about it being a bit under-whelming. Personally I think SSN is way over-rated. It's just it was one of the first that did that sort of thing. I feel the same way about Nubar Peacock once I got my hands on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this little one could be enhanced by a coat of Revlon Watermelon - which is from last summer's scented micro glitters in jelly. I have found those to be a whole lot of help to me in beefing up some polishes. Glad that I kept them and did not purge them. I tend to use Watermelon and Pina Colada (a blue) the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, you may be on to something there with your layering idea! I'm not big on layering but that seems to be the popular use for those Revlons. Glad you were able to find a way to do it. :)

      Delete
  6. This is so pretty! I am so lemming starry starry night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fingers! IMO, just mix yourself a SSN franken like Lizz said -- it costs less and it should give you a very close effect.

      Delete
  7. Um, how have I never heard of this beauty? Fantastic!

    And I also love a good Psych marathon. I actually DVR'ed a marathon last weekend that I'm making my way through :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL IDK but I'm happy to take full responsibility for any lemmings I may have caused. ;)

      A friend of mine called that show "happy brain candy" -- this season has been amazing (except for the Cheech episode, sorry Cheech) and I can't wait for Season 7!

      Delete
  8. This looks absolutely wonderful on you!!! I should do a side-by-side mani of SSN and Bonded one day to see how close the two really are (in terms of the sparkle, of course). Yay for stash swaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should! I'll be waiting for that post. :D Thank you!!!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.