Friday, May 4, 2012

GUEST POST: China Glaze Dorothy Who? from Madeline @ Grrrl Germs

If your Spidey sense is tingling today, it's probably because I'm overseas ugly crying like Natalie Portman about missing the midnight U.S. premiere of "The Avengers." Terrible Marvel pun aside (Spidey only became an Avenger last year), if you don't already know that this wonderful day, May 4, is the holiest of 2012 Nerd Holy Days ... well ... O__o I've attended the midnight premieres for "Iron Man," "Iron Man 2," "Thor" and "Captain America," so I can't even pretend missing the midnight premiere doesn't sting like Scorpion (any of the Marvel incarnations ... just pick one). Bottom line: IT STINGS.

If you know me or have been reading Stuff for some time, then you know I purport to have a way with words ("purport" being the key word here). From an early age, I've immensely enjoyed anything eloquent and colorful, from writers and essayists like Mark Twain, P.G. Wodehouse, and Phillip Lopate to entertainers like Garrison Keillor, Craig Ferguson and Stephen Fry to the recappers at Television Without Pity. No one has the same point of view about anything and even then, there are so many different ways to express oneself.

This also goes for nail blogging, of course. Every nail blogger has her own strength(s), so what works for one may not work for another. My friend Madeline of Grrrl Germs, whom I first got to know via MUA, undoubtedly has her own way of putting things, which has endeared her to me. We also share some nerdier interests, so it was only natural to schedule her guest post for "Avengers" premiere day! I knew she had this locked down when I not-so-jokingly suggested that she feature a polish that was as blue as Cap's eyes (Cap = Captain America, portrayed by Chris Evans, who's been a total babe since playing Jake Wyler, and oh my stars and stripes ...). 


Did she deliver, or what?
* * * * * * *

Hey everyone! I’m super flattered that Rach asked me to do a guest post and even more flattered that it’s going up today, May 4th, also known as the release date for The Avengers (AKA Hunk Party). It’s also Star Wars Day! Nerds assemble!

In her e-mail, Rach wrote, “So if you had a blue the color of Cap's eyes ... now would be the time!” and I knew immediately that I had to do China Glaze Dorothy Who. It’s my favorite nail polish OF ALL TIME and it’s also sparkling blue … like Cap’s eyes … not that anyone is paying attention to his eyes when there’s this going on:




Well, helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

ANYWAY. I thought I’d try to take some pictures of Dorothy Who with my cell phone, in homage to Rach’s cell phone photography. Unfortunately, mine are nowhere near as good as hers. Hers look like they were taken with an actual camera. Mine look like they were taken through a jar of Vaseline.




NO THANKS. So here are some normal pictures of it. I did three coats and topped it with a coat of Gelous and a coat of NYC Grand Central Station. It’s smooth and glossy and glittery and perfect and if you don’t own it, you should probably get it. Probably.

Indirect sunlight…




Direct sunlight…




BEAUTIFUL ALWAYS.

And here it is with a buddy, Tiny Captain America. I went to Universal Studios with my family last month and there’s a section in Islands of Adventure called Marvel Superhero Island. I spotted Tiny Cap in a shop and now he lives with me!




LOOK AT HIS LIL’ FACE. Presh.

Is anyone seeing Hunk Party today? Did anyone go to the midnight premiere? I’m holding off on seeing it because my birthday is on the 8th and I wanna see it on my birthday!

* * * * * * *

True or false: If I could get knocked up just by looking at Chris Evans, I would be worse than Octomom, the Duggars and Kate Gosselin COMBINED. He's so beautiful I have to cry myself to sleep at night because I will never have anyone THAT gorgeous, ever.

I'm not super huge on glitter and though Dorothy Who? is a fan favorite that has never appealed to me, I still think I could wear this, yes. I could do it for Cap, yes. Especially if he took his shirt off, yes. Thank you, Madeline and plushie Cap for this great post! --Note: I think I have one of these, too ... my boyfriend got a bunch of little plush Avengers for me for Christmas. YEAHHHHHHHHH, AVENGERS! UP TOP.

For more glimpses into the polish stash of a recent college graduate and many witty and entertaining insights on just about everything else, visit and follow Madeline's blog, Grrrl Germs, by clicking on the link below. Don't forget to wish her a happy happy birthday on May 8! :)


3 comments:

  1. Awesome post! I loouuuurrrrvvveeee Chris Evans. Since I became a single lady recently, I have fond dreams of him just happening to turn up in Richmond and submitting to some lovin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the post and CG's Dorothy Who? is a definite fave. It will be rocked during my birth month, September aka a month of the blues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep trying to try it but I can't seem to pull the trigger! May have to borrow your bottle ;)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.