Monday, May 14, 2012

GUEST POST: OPI Mermaid's Tears layering fun from Tara @ Tara Loves Colors

Today's guest post comes from my friend Tara of Tara Loves Colors. Tara and I became friends on the MUA nail board and started meeting up more often in person after discovering we went to college at the same time in the same city. I know I've mentioned her a few times here on Stuff -- you might know her as my TV + Twizzlers partner or my lucky charm shopping buddy-- and she's become one of my closest friends, despite our completely different styles and tastes! Read on for her take on that, and to see a sample of the lovely layering combinations she does so well.

* * * * * * *

My name is Tara and I love colors! Har har. Rach asked me to do a guest blog post for her and I jumped at the chance! My buddy Rach's style is pretty much the opposite of mine, but in the best way. She appreciates the simplicity of a nice creme, while I can't stop adding to my manis. It's easy for us to go nail shopping together because she always grabs the cremes and I go after the shimmahs and the holos!

For this special edition post, I decided to do something that you don't see often on my lady's blog: some layering fun for you all! I've been collecting polish for a while now, so I tend to do a lot of posts about hard-to-find polishes. For Rachel's blog, I've made an attempt to use mostly easy-to-find polishes. Enjoy!

My inspiration for this manicure was a dress at Macy's that was beautiful and minty with sequins that shone like the sea.

For the base, I started with two coats of OPI Mermaid's Tears, from OPI's Pirates of the Caribbean collection. Formula was more of a pain than I remembered, but thinner helped.




Next step after Mermaid's Tears, I added a coat of Pure Ice's Oh Baby!, a pretty blue to purple duochrome fleck polish. Love this part of the layering because it gives a purple flash to this mani!




Aaaand, Pure Ice Heart Breaker! This is a loooovely sheer sparkly green-to-blue duochromey shimmer. Mmmmmm. You can find Pure Ice polishes at Walmart for 1.99, but due to innate lameness, the formula has been changed to a blue frosty base instead of being a sheer shimmer. Lame.




Next up, a layer of Confetti Sprinkles on Top. Similar to Confetti Ice, Ice Baby, I think this one was part of a holiday collection. This is where I got all the glitteriness I was craving.




To add a little bit of mermaid-y-ness (obviously necessary) I added a coat of Finger Paints Motley. This Special Effects collection from Finger Paints brought an easy to find, easy to afford flakie collection to the US, and I love it!







Hope you all enjoyed the ridiculous amounts of pictures, and let's all wish Rachel a safe and happy trip!

* * * * * * *

Thank you, Tara! You know, I would consider wearing a layering combination like this. o__O It's beautiful, and in a color family I adore. I can't wait to see this girl when I get back -- we have a lot of shopping, birthday lunching and "Smallville" watching to do! According to every other horoscope I get, Taurus and Virgo make perfect shopping partners. No wonder we score like crazy when we're together. *cue Twilight Zone music*

By the way, Tara's birthday is coming up soon -- and what could be a better present than some new readers, am I right? To wish her a happy birthday and to see more of Tara's layering and frankening experiments (and maybe one day, a picture of her nail polish closet), go follow her blog, Tara Loves Colors, by clicking on the link below:

1 comment:

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.