Sunday, April 1, 2012

OURS IS THE FURY: American Apparel Summer Peach

THE NEW SEASON OF "GAME OF THRONES" STARTS TONIGHT ON HBO -- I NEEDED TO PUT THIS IN CAPS SO YOU KNOW HOW EXCITED I AM DESPITE NOT HAVING THAT CHANNEL. As I've started telling anyone who I think will get this (thank you, ONTD),

OH. MY. R'HLLOR.

My fake House Baratheon necklace, let me show you it! (It was a Target clearance purchase from late February, right after I got back from New York. I'd been eyeing it all winter but didn't want to pay full price for it, so this made me extremely happy.)




He just needs a little crown!


So you also know I had to have a mani to commemorate this joyous occasion, yes? I debated some kind of rainbow theme or even colors to represent my favorite House, but then I found this in my Helmer and, well ... it's pretty perfect. If you've read A Clash of Kings, the book around which this season is based, YOU KNOW WHY.




Three coats with SV.










I haven't used this polish since I got it, and it had separated a bit so I had to roll it around for a couple of minutes. Formula was as thick as Hodor (translation ... pretty thick) and not fun really -- make sure you use the thinnest coats possible and wait maybe two or three minutes in between them, then apply a self-leveling top coat to smoothen it all out. I hate American Apparel's long brush stem, though, because when the formula is weird like this one, it's harder to estimate how much polish to dip on your brush. Grr.

I wasn't sure if this color was working for me the first day I had it on, but I think that was more of an issue with the nasty fluorescent lighting in my office. In 80% of my other light settings, this looks pretty good, which isn't bad for a very stark/mod shade! (Heh ... Stark.) It's more of an light orange peach ice cream peach than a pinker peach. I'd recommend this color family to anyone with olive and tan skin, especially darker-toned ladies. As far as dupes go, I don't own Essie A Crewed Interest or Orly Prelude to a Kiss, so I can't compare them. However, I hear the Orly is opaque in two coats, so that may be worth looking into.

Summer Peach was one of the colors American Apparel released for Summer 2010 (the other ones were Malibu Green, L'Esprit, California Trooper and Butter). It's $6 in-store and online, though they also have a three polishes for $15 deal. Don't quote me on this, but I've been seeing on other blogs that American Apparel is doing some type of clearance right now so you may be able to get it for less!


How are we feeling about Summer Peach? American Apparel pastels? Will you be watching the "Game of Thrones" season premiere, and which characters are you most excited to see for the first time?

More importantly, who is your favorite claimant to the Iron Throne? I cannot choose ... my lady bits compel me to side with the King in the North and in all seriousness I'm split down the middle between Stannis and Renly. TBH, I feel a lot like a certain Onion Knight!




Late last night, I put on the DVD commentary for Episode 2, "The Kingsroad," featuring actors Mark Addy (Robert Baratheon), Lena Headey (Cersei Lannister) and Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (Jaime Lannister) and seven hells, y'all. I may never need other commentators again. Lena and Nikolaj trolled the SHIT out of that commentary and it was brilliant -- apologies to anyone who saw my Twitter, because it was too good to keep to myself. :3

Man oh maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan, I hope there are some GoT/ASoIaF Nerd Lacquers in the future. I would die. It is known.

(In case you don't get HBO, I also suggest the newest Masterpiece Classic adaptation of "Great Expectations" airing tonight on PBS, starring Gillian Anderson. She was great as Lady Dedlock in "Bleak House," which I need to watch again one of these days!)

12 comments:

  1. lol. I'm sad because I want to read your post, but I'm only halfway through the first book and don't want to spoiler myself! THE BOOK IS SO GOOD. I've only seen a couple episodes of the show, and it was awesome, so I started reading the first book, and I cannot put it down! So much awesomeness! Come visit me soon, I miss you! Fatbutt says "mrow!" (hi).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) We should have a commentary mini-marathon next time I'm there for longer than a few hours! And hello to Fatbutt <3

      Delete
  2. Your nails look great here and i love the color too :) most of the GofT references went over my head haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thank you! My nerd is showing a little, I can't help it :3

      Delete
  3. i'm dying, i cannot WAIT for this season!! ughhhhhh, i don't have HBO at school, and i'm really sad right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. I would die too. I had HBO in my dorm the first year I was my school ... the next year when I lived off-campus, I had to, ummmm, acquire episodes. I miss having it sometimes. :(

      Delete
  4. This looks nice on you - it might look a little too chalky on me - I have trouble with a lot of these shades that have a strong white base. I am watching PBS all night tonight - it's a good night...and tomorrow night they have 2 hrs of Am. Masters 1 hr on Margret Mitchell (author of Gone With The Wind) and next hr on Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird - the only thing she ever wrote in case you did not know that one - pretty amazing uh? One book and it's such a classic with so much social change to come out of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) That sucks though, I think it's mostly a skin tone thing. There are quite a few colors I can't pull off if I tried!

      Hope you enjoyed Am. Masters -- I love that show! And yep ... I knew that about TKAM. We had to read it in 9th grade and although I resented my teacher and the way he pushed the book on us, I came back to it later with no hard feelings. Now THAT'S how you know it's a good book!

      Delete
  5. I really like AA polish! I should get some more-this color is a little too light for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, go to Carytown and see if you can grab some! Just try to leave the store without a mesh unitard ;)

      Delete
  6. This is gorgeous on you!! I have really been wanting to try some AA polishes but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. I don't watch Game of Thrones but the husband is obsessed. He was as excited that it was starting as I was about Keyfuh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO KEYFUHHHHHHHHHHHHH

      Thank you! Yes ... I can't remember if you had AAs on your spreadsheet or not. Screw it, I'm gonna DM you. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.