Friday, April 6, 2012

Zoya Midori

I was getting ready to put on my second pick from my stash swap with Jacqui when for some reason, I reached for this one instead. (Never fear, you'll see that polish next week.) Let's just chalk this up to my excitement over finally finding a Zoya-compatible top coat, and consider this my Easter 2012 color.

Yet another color I was hunting for last year was my perfect apple green shimmer, so when last year's Zoya Exchange rolled around, I threw caution to the wind (and Midori into my cart).

My inner alcoholic wants to believe this polish is named for this:



But eight-year-old me associates this name with this talented lady:



(source)

Her Web site's color scheme is pretty adorable, not to mention appropriate. Apparently "Midori" means "green" in Japanese. Huh. Thanks, Wikipedia!


Either way, Zoya Midori is awesomesauce. These pictures are accurate in their respective lights, but the first two do the best job of showing how it appears on me.




Three coats with Cult Nails Wicked Fast.














And with my favorite slurpee flavor, Mountain Dew!




Can you see that golden shimmer? Swoon! This shimmer makes Midori take on more of a richer, warmer apple green tone, but in some lights, it looks almost like a spring green. I don't know if there are any 100% dupes, only that there's a new Revlon in the ColorStay line called Bonsai that seems very similar. (Here's a blog post I found on it. If you want this Revlon, go get it at WalMart because it's MUCH cheaper there!)

I'm still getting used to Zoya's formula. This seemed thick for a shimmer, but it was quite workable. You have to let a little bit of polish drip off your brush before you start applying it. With Wicked Fast, it dried within a 41-45 minute period (or, your standard running time for a "Psych" episode on DVD) but it seemed like it took another hour to really set. This is a little brushstrokey, but it's far from the frostiest frost.

Midori is from Zoya's Summer 2009 Ooh La La collection. You can buy it from Zoya for $8, or you can wait a couple of weeks for this year's Zoya Exchange and get it as I did. (I haven't heard anything about Zoya Exchange 2012, but I'm assuming it'll happen.)

I'm almost certain I'm going to keep Midori, but I still want to try the other apple green shimmers I've picked up. What do you think? Any other recommendations for me? Does the picture of that drink make you feel like getting drunk today? I wish I could. I'm a little bit stressed out, not to mention that when you've moved back in with your fairly religious parents, you don't really have the option of reverting to your Easter and Christmas Catholic status. I would like be more religious but I've always struggled with it.

And in case I don't get to post again till next week, have a happy Easter Weekend!

12 comments:

  1. Pretty! Reminds me of sour apple blow pops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! LOL now that you mention it ... yesssssss. Also, Jolly Ranchers.

      Delete
  2. I second Amanda's opinion. Blow Pops indeed. Also, mmmm Blow Pops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could like this comment à la Facebook, I would. <3

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks lady! IDK why it took me so long to wear it, but I hope no one else makes that mistake. :)

      Delete
  4. I need an apple green! ~and a blow pop~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. And yes ... yes you do need an apple green. I think everyone should have one!

      Delete
  5. Sure is a pretty color. Back in my drinking days used to do shots made with the other Midori. Those were the days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel SO OLD. *moves rocking chair closer to the fire* I definitely can't drink like I used to any more, which is pretty pathetic, considering how many friends can drink me under the table!

      Delete
  6. I think of Midori Ito, the adorable figure skater from the 1988 and 1992 Olympics. (Hi, I'm old.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen! You're not old. I faintly remember that name ... my Olympic skating viewing was probably peaking with Oksana Baiul and Kristi Yamaguchi ... I was also seven? eight? and haven't paid attention to it till Johnny Weir, LOL.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.