Friday, May 18, 2012

GUEST POST: Hard Candy Pulp from Jacqui @ The Scholarly Nail

Welcome to the final installment of guest posts on Stuff! Thank you all so much for reading and commenting -- though I've been away, that doesn't mean I appreciate it any less. :)

Today's post comes from my dear friend Ja
cqui of The Scholarly Nail with whom I recently completed a stash swap, so you should be familiar with her and her blog by now! :) We met on the MUA nail board and started talking more often on Twitter, about everything from nail polish to sleeping habits to MTV's godawful reality TV line-up to academic degrees -- it's probably a good thing we don't live near each other because I would be at her house every other day, no lie.

I also think she is my nail blogger '90s pop culture soulmate. Jacqui DOES NOT PLAY about her '90s obsession (or her "Degrassi" obsession), which carries over into her vintage polish collection. She features vintage polishes on her blog (usually on Sundays), and I was stoked when she combined her love of '90s pop culture with a vintage polish from what is essentially the crème de la crème of '90s polish brands.

We hope you enjoy this brief look back into the decade of our formative years!

* * * * * * * 

Hello, lovely readers! I’m so excited to be doing a guest post for Rach today while she is on vacation! Rach has become one of my greatest nail friends, so I’m absolutely honored to be here for you all today. =) Thanks girl. <3

When Rach asked me to do a guest post, she wanted me to do something “Classic Jacqui.”  If you don’t know me, let me break it down for you: I pretty much live a vintage polish appreciation life. While I do enjoy new polishes that are released these days, I have a real soft spot for the old and hard-to-find variety. I am constantly scouring the world around me for the oldest and most obscure nail polishes I can find – and I’ve amassed pretty good smattering of them over time.

I also have a penchant for anything having to do with the '90s. As a late '80s baby, I grew up in the '90s and believe that it was the most fabulous decade of all time. Let’s face it, the music, the clothes, the fashion, and especially the movies were seriously rad!

In the mid-to-late '90s and early '00s, we saw a revival of the teen comedy genre that spread like wildfire. As a teen during that time, I absolutely LOVED these movies. Many a Friday night was spent at the movie theatre with my friends (or on awkward dates) watching these often brainless yet always entertaining films. Sure, they’re not everyone’s cup of tea but to this day, some of my favorite movies of all time remain teen comedies from this era.

So in order to make this a “Classic Jacqui” post, I wanted to tie in one of my favorite teen movies with a vintage polish for you all today. After Clueless, Orange County is my favorite teen movie of all time. It was released in 2002, but I still consider it to fall into the '90s teen movie category. It stars Colin Hanks, Jack Black, and several other recognizable names and faces.

Colin effing Hanks.

I think I should mention that I am completely in love with Colin Hanks. Ever since his role in Roswell I’ve had a thing for him. While most girls tend to like their men tall, dark and handsome, I have a weakness for the nerdy, pale and awkward ones.  That man will always be number one on my “list.” 


 

Orange County is not the typical teen movie. It’s much smarter than your average Varsity Blues or American Pie, and still utterly hilarious without having too many gross-out moments or dumbed down jokes. The story itself is fairly simple; Colin Hanks plays an angsty teen writer named Shaun who is denied admission into Stanford when his high school counselor sends in the wrong transcript. He then embarks on a road trip with his brother and girlfriend to Stanford to try to convince them accept him. However, it’s not the story that really makes this film, but the interaction between the characters that makes this a stand-out for me. Shaun comes from a well-meaning yet completely dysfunctional family, the most hilarious of which is Jack Black’s Lance, a spaced-out stoner who lives in sweatpants and is the complete opposite of over-achieving Shaun. Even worse are his teachers and guidance counselor, a group of complete and utter buffoons. Watch it. It’s absolutely hilarious. Also, Colin Hanks.

Anyway, I wanted to tie in a vintage polish for you guys today that would evoke a bit of Orange County-ness. I decided upon vintage Hard Candy Pulp. You know, like the pulp of an orange? Haha, not too clever, I know but I just don’t own very many vintage orange polishes.

Hard Candys are some of my favorite vintage polishes and I probably have the most of that brand than any other vintage polish in my collection. I was a HUGE Hard Candy fan back in the day. There was just something about those rubber rings around the bottle necks that drew me in. Sadly, those were the days before I knew about thinner and all my old polishes eventually were tossed out. Slowly but surely, I’ve been building up my vintage collection and Pulp is definitely one of the gems.

Hard Candy Pulp is an amazing duochrome polish (or maybe trichrome? multichrome even?) that came out sometime around 1999. In the bottle, it looks like an orangish pink with a copper flash to it. But on the nails, it is positively phenomenal. It not only flashes pink, orange and copper, but also a stunningly vibrant shade of greenish-gold and even sometimes a reddish tone. I would call it a pink-to-orange-to copper-to-gold-to-red shift. UGH! It’s amazing you guys. It’s hard to come across a  good vintage duochrome, so this is one of my most prized polishes in my collection. Fan-freaking-tastic. 

I did three coats of Hard Candy Pulp with one coat of SV for these pics. Hope you all enjoy!








  
And for fun, here’s one of the teasers for Orange County that was played on MTV before it was released.




Thanks for stopping by today, everyone! Hope you enjoyed my '90s nostalgia manicure today. It’s been a pleasure blogging with you and thanks again Rach for the opportunity!

* * * * * * *

HAHA, "Orange County," wow that takes me back! I actually didn't get around to seeing it until 2005 (I know) and though it didn't make as much of an impression on me, I totally get why people love it. However, the soundtrack is pretty epic for its time: Pete Yorn? Brian Wilson (timeless)? Phantom Planet?!?! (--I. Loved. Phantom. Planet. I saw them live in 2004 and part of me died and went to heaven. Also ... I love pulpy orange juice. Like, stuck-between-your-teeth pulpy. LOVE. I've had roommates and friends who find it disgusting, but whatever. And the band Pulp, LOVE LOVE LOVE!)
 

Thank you, Jacqui! <3 I don't know how to explain it, but even before she tied it into "Orange County," Pulp is definitely a polish that reminds me of her. I think it might be the finish.

Follow Jacqui's blog to see what vintage beauties she'll post on Sundays, and you may even be able to request swatches, too! 

3 comments:

  1. Nice!
    PS: Does you already participated in the giveaway on my blog: http://www.beautybloglaura.com/2012/05/winactie-2-goodiebags-van-elf.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyy! Thanks so much for asking me to do a post, I had a blast writing it!!! That's awesome that Pulp reminds you of me, it's a vintage duochrome so you can't really get much better than that! I shall have to have you do a guest post for me very soon <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. i too LOVEEEDDDDDDD phantom planet. my best friend credits me with turning him on to them before they were cool.

    and also loveeee that polish! wish it were still around!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.