Friday, May 11, 2012

GUEST POST: Nfu-Oh 65 (... AND MUFFINS!!!) from Grace @ Lacquer & Lattes

The Friday of April 13th became "Fish Egg Friday" among many nail bloggers who did caviar manis as a way of "sticking it" to Ciate after the rumpus regarding the company's stance on "trademarking" beaded (caviar) manicures. Some of you may have seen a gorgeous, delicate-looking, WHITE caviar mani on a blog called Lacquer & Lattes.

If the name of that blog sounds familiar, that's because I did a Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Twisted Pink wear test in March with Grace, one of the blog's three authors. I first discovered L&L in December when Grace submitted two entries to my ROYGBIV Holiday Giveaway. The blog was very new and when I checked it out, I fell in love with her pictures! The overall image quality of her swatches is wonderfully high for a "rookie" blogger -- I think so many of us are still working to achieve what she seems to have done so effortlessly right out of the gate. I felt like Ron Burgundy ... I was impressed, and thrilled to learn that Grace and her co-bloggers also hail from Virginia.

The other thing I liked about L&L was the recipe "hook." I spend more time in the kitchen washing or breaking dishes than cooking or baking but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy stumbling upon new recipes to add to my imaginary repertoire (i.e., to pass on to my baker friends). I'm ecstatic to have a fellow Virginian blogging friend, and I look forward to seeing L&L grow in the coming seasons! After reading this guest post, I hope you'll be as excited as I am.

* * * * * * *

Hi guys! I’m Grace from Lacquer and Lattes, and I gotta start out with a huge thank you to Rach for asking me to help her out with a post on her awesome blog! Rach was one of the very first blogging friends I made, and she’s encouraged me so much with my own blog that I wanted to make sure I shared something awesome with y’all to make her proud! And what’s more awesome than holos and muffins, right?

For the polish portion of today’s post, I pulled out Nfu Oh 65, a light sky blue polish with a SUPER strong linear holo effect! I love blues and holos are quickly taking over cremes as my fave finish, so this is like my *dream* polish. Just look at all that rainbow-y goodness! 







It's even pretty in the shade!





You can get pretty hungry after spending hours tilting your nails back and forth to gaze at all the holo-magic, so I have my fave muffin recipe to share with you too! These are super good to make on weekend mornings, because they give you breakfast for that day and then you can munch on them all week long, too. The better quality raspberries you use the better these will taste, and if you get two little plastic cartons of them you’ll have enough left over to snack on while the muffins are baking! (And by "snack on," I definitely "mean shovel into your mouth.")



Raspberry Corn Muffins

(makes 12 muffins)

1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
¾ cup yellow corn meal
2/3 cup sugar

1 T baking powder
2 eggs
½ cup milk
5 T unsalted butter, melted
1 to 1 ¼ cups fresh raspberries

  1. Heat your oven to 400°, butter or spray twelve regular sized muffin cups with cooking spray.

  2. Mix together the flour, cornmeal , sugar, and baking powder in a bowl.

  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and room temperature melted butter.

  4. Pour the mixed wet ingredients over the dry ingredients in the other bowl and gently fold it with a spatula until it’s just blended. Be careful not over mix in this step, or your muffins will be tough. (The pictures of the batter in the pans might give you an idea of the level of mixed-ness you want)

  5. Spoon half of the batter into the bottom of the muffin tins, and use your finger to make a shallow depression in each one. Place 3 or 4 raspberries in each depression so that they aren’t touching the pan at all.




  6. Spoon the rest of the batter on top of the berries in each tin.



  7. Bake the muffins for about 20 minutes, or until they’re golden brown and you absolutely can’t wait any longer.




    Bon appétit and thanks for reading! -Grace

* * * * * * *

What do you say we all wipe the drool off our keyboards and give Grace a big round of applause for a truly drool-worthy post? Seriously, how awesome is she?!

To drool over more beautiful swatches and recipes from Grace and her two blogging partners, visit (and follow) Lacquer & Lattes by clicking on the link below.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the holo inspiration Grace! It's finally getting sunny here so it's time to bust them out!
    Also, those muffins look AWESOME; I want to make them now!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.