Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Pink Wednesday: Ulta Professional Tickle Me

Whoa, a second pink polish post just in time for Pink Wednesday! This almost never happens.




Today's choice of color was inspired by the Korean Air flight attendants on my connecting flights. They wore demure nudes, sheers, and some really soft, delicate pinks ... all with nary a chip to be found. I wanted to see if I could recreate the look for myself, and found the perfect polish in Ulta's Tickle Me.

Ulta carries a couple of different house lines, most notably Salon Formula and Professional. Tickle Me is from the Professional line, which you can find in the salon nail section along with Essie, China Glaze, Orly, OPI, Piggy Polish and Zoya.




Four coats with SV.










The color isn't the most original one to be found, but it's really quite nice. The biggest selling point of Tickle Me, IMO, is its finish: it's a soft, cool-toned pink jelly.

The formula is all right for something in this finish. The first coat goes on a little bit streaky and sheer, but it builds up nicely with three coats. I only went with four because I wanted to see how many it would take to reach opacity. I waited a few minutes in between coats to avoid cuticle drag and streaking; neither were too bad in the end and this dried quickly with SV. I'm only on the second day of wear with this, so I can't speak to the wear quality, but I haven't had any chipping or significant tip wear so far. (A note about jellies/jelly-cremes: I keep my nails short and don't see a lot of free edge, so you may want to consider that if you have longer nails.)

At first, I thought I wouldn't like this polish because of the finish and I thought I would prefer it if it had been a creme. But for some strange reason, I think I really, really like this polish for that very reason. I don't know that the color is the best for my skin tone, but I don't care -- I can see myself pulling this one out again. That's what she said.

As I mentioned earlier, this polish is part of the Professional line at Ulta. I can't remember if I've seen it in stores lately, but you can buy it online here at the Ulta site. I really don't remember when I bought this, either ... 2010 or 2011? I just remember buying it because Ulta Professional polishes were B2G1, and I remember going to my friend's house afterwards and her thinking the name was clever. (Thanks, brain.)

As far as I can think, I don't have any dupes for this. It's a touch lighter and less purple than Essie Splash of Grenadine and NYC Lincoln Square Lavender. Zoya Shelby might be the creme dupe, but I don't own that polish so I can't confirm this.

How are we feeling about this pink polish, or Ulta polishes? Do you think you might want to give either a go? What are your favorite jellies?

And as promised, here's the first (and very low-key) batch of pictures from our trip that I deemed OK to share with the Internets! We visited a family friend at the Basilica del Santo Nino and got to see Magellan's Cross -- well, supposedly Magellan's Cross is encased in native wood, which is what you see below. Pretty rad.








8 comments:

  1. Very pretty pink! Reminds me a lot of Zoya Shelby, like you said--I don't have Shelby either though, but it's on my wishlist! Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures! I hope you had a good trip. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chelsea! I can't believe it took me so long to give this polish some love.

      Delete
  2. It does look like Shelby. I love that it's a jelly though. Awesome pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! Yeah ... I thought I would be wanting a true creme finish but the jelly suits me just fine. :)

      Delete
  3. Um yeah-look at the butt on that guy 2nd from the right. Very nice eye candy there! Sorry-was I supposed to keep that to myself? one of my fave jellies is Wicked from Essie. Such a deep burgundy jelly. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Wicked! It's one of my favorite Essies.

      Delete
  4. I also think that while this pink as a creme is a must have, the jelly is also pretty. The four coats though...bleh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda -- I promise the color payoff and the wear time was worth every coat!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.