Thursday, June 28, 2012

Cult Nails Awakening

I've worn a couple of my Cult Nails polishes in the past, though I've never featured them on Stuff for whatever reason. Cult Nails is one of my favorite indie/niche brands -- as much as I like my Cult Nails polishes, I absolutely swear by the Wicked Fast top coat. Wicked Fast has changed my Zoya experience for the better and I cannot recommend it enough for anyone having trouble with Zoya-compatible top coats.

But this post isn't about Wicked Fast ... today I've got an actual polish to show you! And chickens, I had a hell of a time taking these pictures. They're probably the grainiest pictures I've taken in a while, and I'm sorry. :/ What you're about to see is the best of my batch.




Three coats with SV.









I didn't like how this ended up looking on me (I hoped the color would pop a little more against my skin), but I adore Maria's slightly dusty take on teal! This teal is definitely blue, but has a greenish tint, and somehow it manages to look a bit blackened in natural light. I'm not the biggest fan of the blackened look, I'll be honest. Interestingly enough, it reminds me of muddy ponds, especially with the jelly-creme texture.

The formula on this baby was a little watery (most of my Cult Nails polishes tend to be that way), but extremely workable and buildable. I might have mentioned before that I prefer my polishes to be thinner than thicker in formula, so I'm quite happy with my Cult products. The first coat goes on like a jelly and looks the smallest bit grainy, but the graininess disappears by the second coat and you get full depth and opacity with three. Because of the jelly-creme texture, you might have some VNL if you keep your nails longer.

Awakening is from last fall's Cult Nails Hypnotic collection, and it's available for $10 at the Cult Nails shop. I purchased my bottle during Cult Nails' one-year anniversary sale back in January along with another polish from the Hypnotic collection, which I hope to share with you before Maria releases this year's fall collection!

What do you think of Awakening? Do you prefer smoky or bolder, more saturated teals? (You can guess which I prefer.) What are your favorite Cult Nails polishes or products?

10 comments:

  1. Ahhh Cult Nails is one of my favorites, too. The formula is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to go through the rest of my collection soon. :) Maybe we should do it together?

      Delete
  2. I like some of the Cult Nails polish I have and others I don't like. Because it's only mail order, I have not bought more since my first 2 purchase crops. It's due to the color being disappointing that I have not bought more. Like you, I like the dusty look to the creams I have. I don't like the lack of pop in the colors. Like you said, I have a # of shades that just look black on the nail. The subtleties that are there don't show up to anyone but me and only when I am in the right light or turn my hand a certain way. Have not tried their top coat - probably will order it if I put in a new order. But honestly, I don't have any trouble between my SV and 2 other top coats I use - one by Nubar and one by Zoya...but I go back to my SV 99% of the time. My polish lasts longer and looks more shiny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried Diamont. I wanted to but then it received a new formulation ... I heard Nubar reverted to the old formulation but I'm not exactly going to drop everything to find out. :)

      Delete
  3. I looooooooooove this color and for some reason haven't purchased it yet but now I have a tiny bit of disposable income so...IT WILL BE MINE because if there's anything I love, it's murky colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG IF I HAD ONLY KNOWN, I WOULD HAVE SENT THIS TO YOUUUUUUUUUUU ;___;

      Delete
  4. I'm not a fan of Cult Nails-they seem too watery for me. I prefer greener teals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind watery formulas as long as they dry and don't shrink, LOL. I don't think this dusty shade worked for me, but that's all right.

      Delete
  5. I love all things Cult Nails! Wicked Fast is one of my fav top coats after I stopped using SV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you pretty lady! Glad to see you blogging again. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.