Saturday, June 30, 2012

Rescue Beauty Lounge Faraway Nearby

Edited 7/6/12 -- To read more about the legal issues surrounding the name of this collection, read this post on the official Rescue Beauty Lounge blog.


Hey y'all! I thought I had scheduled this post for earlier this morning, but I never clicked "publish," so it sat in my draft folder. Whoops. And since there was a huge storm that swept through Virginia, our power and internet were out for a while. It's all good now, though. (Note: CAN YOU IMAGINE THE CREYS last night at the movies if the power went out during "Magic Mike"???!?! If I've learned one thing about living in the south, it's that you don't mess with older ladies who are Matthew McConaughey fans. You just don't.)

Anyway, it's the last day of June (that is just crazy bananas ... with Nutella ... everything is better with Nutella), and everyone's RBL GOMM pre-orders are arriving at their new homes. Although I received my box of four polishes last Friday, I didn't know what I wanted to wear first (I still have polishes from older RBL releases I haven't tried yet) or even when I would get around to them. The other day I tasked Anna with picking out a brand and a color family for me. She went with RBL and blue, so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to try out Faraway Nearby.

I'll confess that among the polishes I selected in my preorder, Faraway was the one that impressed me the least in the bottle. Did I feel the same way about it on the nail?

For the record, the last three pictures are the most accurate.




Two and a half coats with SV.










When I heard that this collection was inspired by a biography on Georgia O'Keeffe's life and works, I knew that Ji would have to include a desert sky blue, though I didn't know what RBL name would be attached to it. And I was right. (I couldn't find a picture to attach to this post that I liked, but you can Google some desert landscape and bone paintings, and you'll know what I mean.)

When you understand the inspiration behind this polish, the color itself is perfect. Compared to the other aqua/turquoise/sky blue shades I have, this has some green tones, which makes it stand out. However, the trademark RBL subtle shimmer, though beautiful, almost seemed to dull Faraway Nearby for me indoors. The best thing to do is pretend this is a creme. ;)

The formula on this one seemed weird to me. Most of my RBL polishes also tend to be perfectly formulated, if a bit gummy (is it the resin?), but Faraway's was so weird to me. I need two coats to get this opaque, and I experienced some cuticle drag. I usually don't have to wait too long in between coats with RBLs -- I didn't this time, and whoops. In all honesty, I don't know if I was having a hard time because of the formula or the brush. The brush on my bottle was slightly uneven, as though part of it had been lopped off on the side. I'm no good with brush surgery, or I'd attempt to fix it. Polishing with that brush was like polishing with one of those tapered, curved brushes. Maybe that's part of the reason I had cuticle drag. I wore this for four days with no chips. 

Faraway and the rest of the GOMM collection should be available for regular sale exclusively on the Rescue Beauty Lounge site sometime in July (within the next couple of weeks???), though I'm not aware of an exact release date at this time. A $2 price hike from $18 to $20 per bottle was recently instated for all collections released after this spring's Fan Collection, so keep that in mind if you don't already know about this.

Was Faraway in your pre-order, or are you planning to get it next month? If you've tried it, what did you think of it? I'm having a quite a time deciding how I feel about it. Here's why: If this had been a polish from a drugstore or even a salon brand, I would be crazy in like with this. But because it's RBL and I have slightly higher expectations, I feel a little underwhelmed. I'm going to have to mull this one over for a while.


Hope you're all staying safe this weekend, and that you have an enjoyable holiday if I haven't posted before then!

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I totally agree with you on having higher expectations than normal for RBL polishes, both because of the price and my past (fabulous) experiences with their polishes. So far I haven't had one let me down! I pre-ordered Santa Fe Road and it came a few days ago. Exciting!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, can't wait to see it on you! :)

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear about your brush- you should try e-mailing Ji with a picture of the brush and she will probably send you a replacement :) It's worth a shot at least, because that is what my Bella Donna brush is like, and I am e-mailing her this week- at $20 a bottle, it shouldn't have brush issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! Sorry to hear about your Bella brush, too. That's odd. I'm not super pressed about it right now, but I agree -- for $20 a pop, this shouldn't be happening! Can't wait to see more of this collection on your blog.

      Delete
  3. I got this and I agree that lately her formula hasnt been as great as it usually is! I do love this color though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me. Yeah, I'll hang on to this one for a while, but I do like the other ones I preordered, so 3 out of 4 ain't bad.

      Delete
  4. This is one gorgeous color! I kind of want Santa Fe Road.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ME TOO! (mostly because I want to post "Newsies" and Santa Fe, haha) I hope it'll still be available next week. :/

      Delete
  5. I felt the EXACT SAME WAY about Faraway. It is a stunning, rich sky blue - beautiful. But for $20 and for RBL, I want jazz on my nails! And the shimmer is just too subtle. I don't need every polish to be chunky glitter. But if I just wanted a sky blue, I'd go to the drugstore and get a sky blue. I love shimmer polishes - but I want to be able to see the shimmer. So I was slightly bummed. This is really because my expectations for RBL are so high.

    Faraway is a beautiful color though, don't get me wrong. I thought the formula was good. I needed two coats (not a one coater for me) but the end result was like butter on my nails =) Just wish the shimmer were more present. I am not a subtle gal, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! Also, I'm glad it's not just me -- to expand upon what you just said, for those prices, I expect a freakin' JAZZ FESTIVAL. This wasn't special enough. IDK, I think I'm falling out of love with RBL!

      I've rehomed my bottle to a friend who I KNOW will love it more than I can. :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.