Friday, June 8, 2012

Revlon Dreamer

I'm breaking up my reds, pinks and corals today with a cool pastel blue from Revlon to celebrate Tuesday's release of Rhett Miller's latest solo album, "The Dreamer."

For those of you who don't know who this guy is, he is
  1. the lead singer of the Old 97's, one of my most favorite bands since ... ever. You may have seen him in Jack Donaghy's celebrity contact chorus during the "Kidney Now" episode of "30 Rock,"
  2. a really nice, intelligent, well-read guy whose Twitter is fun to read, which is how I found out he's into "Friday Night Lights" (hello.), and 
  3. a total babe. I can confirm this for you because I got to meet him nine years ago and have seen the 97's in concert twice since then, most recently in April of last year.

You can see why I think he's a pretty big deal. Do I feel the same way about this polish, though?




Three coats with Poshe.









Unfortunately, Dreamer barely made it one day on me without chips. I was getting ready to meet a friend for coffee last Saturday night when I noticed a huge chunk had disappeared from my index finger on my left hand ... oops? I'm not sure what's more to blame, my dying bottle of Poshe or the so-so formula on this one.




Admittedly, this is a rather dreamy pastel blue creme, somewhere in between sky blue and cornflower blue. The formula was so-so on my bottle -- it was easy to apply on the nail without base coat, but with the base coat it streaked a little bit. I try to use the thinnest coats I possibly can, though with some polish formulas, that isn't always possible, which definitely was the case here. This looked lumpy while it dried but it leveled out a little with top coat. Again, I don't know if it chipped so quickly on me because of a new base coat (I've been wearing Essie Feed Me for a month + Gelous), because pastels are finicky, or because my bottle of Poshe is dying a ded.

Over the winter, Revlon revamped their core line of polishes, adding new colors and taking previous limited edition shades and renaming them. As far as I know, Dreamer is one of the new colors. You can find this in the core Revlon display at any drug store, WalMart and Target, and if there are any drugstore coupons or sales happening, you can probably get this for super cheaps! The most recent sale I can think of was the week of Memorial Day, when RiteAid had a $2.99 sale on Revlons. I caved and bought Fashionista, a teal creme, that day (I had purchased Dreamer way back in January).

I have no idea whether I'm keeping Dreamer yet. First I'd like to make the rounds amongst my other sky/cornflower blue hybrids!

Talk to me about this Revlon ... or Rhett Miller/the 97's. Do you like his solo work? I wasn't crazy about his second and third solo albums when they came out, but I really do love them now (especially "The Believer" -- it got me through the first few months of 2011). One of my favorite things about the Old 97's is that it's a band I've grown and grown up with, and though their older songs are just as good now as they were then, it's still fun to see what they come up with as both the band and its fans enter a different phase in their lives. You really can feel that when you listen to their records ... or at least, I do.

When my friend and I met Rhett in 2003 after his set at Bumbershoot, he signed my copy of "The Instigator," and if that CD is where I think it is, I'll try to add a picture of his autograph to this post when I find it. He is such a babe, it's unreal -- and a fellow Virgo, to boot! \o/

12 comments:

  1. I don't have good luck with this line of Revlon polishes at all for stay power either. The one that Revlon did revamp - the Colorstay line - I have had really good luck with those new ones - they do last well - not the 10 days they say - but I get often 6 out of them - but I find the base and top coat in the Colorstay line don't help - they hinder in fact the lenght the polish lasts. I use my own base and fav top coat and refresh one coat of color and a couple times with the clear topper to get my 6-8 days out of colorstay line.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three of the ColorStay polishes but I haven't tried them yet ... thanks for reminding me about those!!! I'm pretty sure my top coat was largely responsible for the chips, though.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, that's pretty! That's a shame about the wear though o.O Awful lot of chipping for a single day of wear...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Naz! I know ... none for Gretchen Weiners, BYE!

      Delete
  3. Such a cute color! I love powder blues like this one. Shame about the chipping though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! But if you change your polish everyday, I don't imagine it'd be too much of an issue, haha.

      Delete
  4. :/ that's a whole lot of chipping. but it really is a beautiful color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I know. And there was more the next day when I washed my car, LOL.

      Delete
  5. Shame about the chipping because it's such a beautiful blue! It's like there's a hint of grey to it that keeps it from going full pastel, but it's still really soft and pretty.

    I actually bought Dreamer a couple of weeks ago, but it's still sitting in my untrieds--I'll definitely have to remedy that soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love blues like these, but I'm starting to get the idea they don't love me, haha. I hope you have a better experience with this polish than I did. Looking forward to your pics.

      Delete
  6. HMMM-a dude named Rhett? That's kind of cool! I don't think I've seen anyone else with that name outside Gone with the Wind! I don't buy drugstore brands-simply because I don't think they are worth the money. You get what you pay for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers- I'm pretty sure his name is Stewart Ransom Miller but he just goes by Rhett. Eh, I've had some drugstore brands exceed my expectations in the past few years, so I try not to rule anything out. And again, maybe it was my dying bottle of top coat.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.