Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Setting off Summer 2012: BB Couture Busty Bombshell

As America's next drag superstar Sharon Needles would say ... cluck cluck, ladies!

Today may be the first official day of summer, but it's been feeling that way for a while down here in Virginia. Welllllll, I've long since graduated from college and I no longer have summers off in between academic semesters as a way of marking the time, so here's how I know it's really here:

  1. I start jonesing for frozen (alcoholic) drinks
  2. I start jonesing for frozen (alcoholic) drinks ... outside
  3. I tend to get the itch to go on a summer road trip with friends
  4. Then I literally itch because I am eczema's bitch.
  5. There are peaches at the farmers' market
  6. ALL OF THE MOVIES come out. So do my favorite sundresses and espadrilles.
  7. I keep looking for reasonably lighter summer reading material (and failing epically. Why does my brain think a biography of Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr qualify as such?)
  8. "Futurama" is back, and
  9. "RuPaul's Drag U" is back!!!!!!!

Oh yes, hunties. It's back. I am beyond THRILLED with the selection of this season's crop of drag professors -- I kind of wish I had a reason to be nominated to go on that show so I could experience the magic in person. Anyway, if you don't know anything about "Drag U" (apart from my desire to be on it), the show takes a mix of drag queens from previous seasons of "RuPaul's Drag Race" to serve as drag professors/fairy godmothers to "biological women" in need of an emotional boost given in the form of a drag makeover (and on occasion, tough love). Those women compete to go to the head of the class at Draguation, and they'll dance, wear crazy costumes, and get their very own drag name. It's wonderful television.

I don't know about you, but Busty Bombshell seems like a kind of "Drag U" Dragulator template to me.




Three coats with SV.






Blurred for thparkle-osity:





Busty Bombshell's formula errs on the side of thinness, but that's not such a bad thing!! I prefer thinner formulas because that way, I can take my time in between coats; also, I tend to get more chips from polishes with thicker formulas. In any case, BB Coutures wear really well on me with SV. I had this on for four days, and it only chipped because I did some yard work and washed dishes without gloves (which is typical of me).

It's got a weird olive/gold brocade-looking base color, and since the formula is so thin, it seems a tad smoky. Sometimes it looks green, sometimes it looks gold. And then there's the holographic glitter -- a little bit gold, a little bit red, very much green. That was kind of a bear to capture on camera. It's really quite magnificent but I just don't care for the glitter.

This polish was part of last summer's limited edition Eye Candy for Women set. I ordered this last summer (I think there was some sort of promotion that compelled me to pull the trigger), but supposedly you can find it on the BB Couture site for $10.95. Busty Bombshell concludes my Eye Candy for Women picks, but I have one more polish from the Men's set that you will be seeing before summer is over. It. Is. Awesome.

Got anything to say about Busty Bombshell? The holo glitter isn't my thing, so -- and let me try to put this in "Drag U" terms as best as I can -- yes, she's the baddest bitch in school ... so bad, she got herself expelled (from my stash).

... okay, that was lame. I tried

"RuPaul's Drag U" comes on Monday nights at 9/8c on LOGO. Get into it! You can catch up online, too. This and "Drag Race" are two of my favorite ways to spend my lunch break.

Happy first day of summah! What are you wearing to kick off the official start of season?

1 comment:

  1. RuPaul really?????? I'm disappointed! HAHAHA! Isn't it freakin hot here in Virginia! I'm dying already

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.