Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Happy Independence Day!: OPI I Eat Mainely Lobster

To me, coral is the quintessential summertime color. I needed a polish that screamed "AMERICA FUCK YEAH" for the Fourth and kept coming up empty, until I realized that I had one last OPI Touring America polish left untried and unswatched. Coral, America, BOOYAH.

I mean, I didn't need to buy this. I really didn't., except ...

(A) One of my dearest and longest-lasting Internet buddies lives in Portland (hi, MG! <3), and
(B) I pretty much ran out and bought this last fall after watching the first episode of "Stephen Fry in America," wherein my beloved Mr. Fry begins his American journey by -- wait for it -- lobstering in Maine.

I watched the first two episodes of this six-part series via my boyfriend's Netflix streaming account, but we never finished it, probably because as much as I love Stephen Fry, that series isn't going anywhere. --Neither is this polish, incidentally. Based upon previous seasons of observation, it's going to stay in the OPI core line for at least another year.




Three coats with SV. Sorry about the shrinkage -- I didn't have time or battery to take pictures before helping with family food prep this afternoon!










I had the WORST time trying to get a good picture of this, but the first couple pictures are pretty true to what this looks like on me indoors. As you can see, I Eat Mainely Lobster has a coral creme base, laced with what looks like a duochrome gold and pink shimmer. As beautiful as the shimmer is, it only appears outdoors and in certain indoor lights. That was sort of disappoint, but I really like the base color on me, which is enough to save this polish for me. It's bright, and I would say this is definitely more of a late summer/early fall coral as opposed to popular corals like Essie Peach Daiquiri and even Cute as a Button. This isn't my perfect pink coral -- it's a peachy pink coral with very red/orange tones -- but I like it anyway for what it is.

The formula on this one wasn't that great; it was my least favorite of the OPI Touring Americas. It seemed a liiiiiiiitle streaky and uneven after two coats, so I went with three, and ... still ... eh. I don't know if this polish really was badly formulated, or if I didn't wait in between coats as long as I should have. I was watching "Waitress" while I was polishing (also trying not to sob because of Adrienne Shelly and Andy Griffith reasons, tyvm) and I wanted to go to sleep already.

Here are some other posts with pictures of I Eat Mainely Lobster that I really liked, on Short 'n Chic, Polish or Perish, and Pixie Polish.

This polish, OPI Cajun Shrimp, and one of my Threadless t-shirts are the closest I can come to having shellfish on my person, as I am dreadfully allergic to it. I've been told I'm missing out, but it's not like you can miss something you've never had. As a result, I know nothing about lobstering and I'm assuming not everyone abides by the practices recorded in the "Fry in America" series.




"Stephen Fry in America" can be seen on Netflix (both streaming and via DVD). DVDs are available for purchase on Amazon.com, as is an accompanying hardcover book. Do you have any interest in checking out this series or this polish? Do you have any fun, lobstery plans for the holiday, or are you working for that double pay?

If you follow me on Twitter, you'll know I've been pre-gaming for today by rewatching the 2008 HBO miniseries "John Adams," starring Paul Giamatti and Laura Linney as John and Abigail Adams. I think I might make this rewatch an annual thing, especially since John Adams and Thomas Jefferson both died on July 4 and I have a soft spot for this miniseries because I used to love the American Revolution unit in social studies when I was a kid. Additionally, parts of "John Adams" were shot here in Virginia, in Colonial Williamsburg and Richmond (whoop whoop) ... Richmond even got a shout out from Tom Hanks at the 66th Golden Globe Awards Ceremony. Also, a former coworker of mine had a second job working retail at the time of filming, and one of her coworkers happened to be on shift when Laura Linney stopped by and purchased something (in cash, of course). [/cool story bro] But seriously, I have mad love for this miniseries, and as backwards as this might sound, it's a sort of reminder to myself about how much I'm glad I grew up in Virginia, and how much I actually love my state. I've never read David McCullough's book, but it's on my list after I get through that Hamilton/Burr one.

I'm going to stop and wish my fellow Americans a happy Independence Day before I start talking about how badass Craig Ferguson's "join or die" tattoo is. I guess I'm fascinated by what foreigners/immigrants/tourists think of America, mostly because I'm a first-generation child and the idea of being born and raised in another country is pretty unthinkable at times.

More final questions: Does it take you at least a year to wear all your picks from a collection, too? Do you like it when Hollywood attempts to get its American history on? (I know it's not just TV, it's HBO, but still.)

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY! :D

16 comments:

  1. Giiiiiiiirl you KNOW I am all about this polish. Also lobsters for some reason? Good choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! As I am allergic, this is the closest I'll get to lobster!

      Delete
  2. This color looks really cute on you! I *almost* got this one when Touring America was out last year. Also I've never eaten lobster, is that weird? I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chelsea - go directly to Maine - do not stop - start a road trip up the coast and stop at every Lobster Pot you possibly can. You need to eat lobs for breakfast, snacks and every other time of the day possible. There is NOTHING that really tastes liks lobster but fresh eaten in Maine lobster. Where I live they fly them in and you can buy them at the grocery stores. But once they have been taken out of that super cold water the taste of the lob meat changes - it's not as tender and sweet. But since you never have had one - it's a good experience to pick one up - get the store to steam it and crack it - take out the green guts you DO NOT WANT TO EAT - (or get on you - it stains) - spread a table with newspaper - gets some nut crackers and little crab picks and go for it!

      Delete
    2. Thank ya, Chelsea! No, girl. My sister and I have never tried lobster -- you're in good company.

      Delete
  3. Yeap - it takes me often more than a yr to get around to wearing a lot of the colors I buy. This collection I did not take to at all, yet I ended up buying most all of 'em. This shade is one of the more wearable shades in it. Thanks for pulling it out and reminding me I have it. With all the corals being so hot right now and me having looked for good corals for years (really not many good ones since the 80's), this is one that I will keep - it has kind of 'mom' legs - but mom corals are really in right now. Now we are almost on to the new 2012 fall OPI collection release and I am feeling even less excited for it than I was last fall's Touring America collection that this was part of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howling at "mom corals." Also crying because you're totally right. I'm not sure how I feel about OPI Germany, other than the names are so stupid.

      Delete
  4. BTW - I also really LOVED the JA mini series. It was so well done and was glad it was acknowledged with so many awards - Emmey's and Golden Globes. It is worthy of a marathon viewing annually. I am a huge history buff - got my first undergrad degree in history with specialization in US hist. The mini series was based in large part on the David McCullough who won the Pulitzer Prize for his book John Adams. If you are into reading non fiction that often reads like fiction, it's a great book to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a much easier read than is Hamilton/Burr

      Delete
  5. The American Revolution is ALWAYS my favourite period of History (well, aside from the 1960's). Hollywood...sometimes I just can't jive with them.

    But Monticello>Mount Vernon, all day, erryday. (and coincidentally, TJ is one of my favourite presidents)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAVE YOU BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN? WE HAVE TO GO TO THERE <3

      Delete
  6. Wow beachgal and her long comments! I read that lobster is at an all time low price-so now's the time! I am not quite a fan of this color, but am diggin the shimmer I see in your pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fingers! Lobster may be cheap, but hospital bills are not ... so I will not be trying that shit any time soon, haha.

      Delete
  7. I had this bookmarked because I had something REALLY PROFOUND to say about it but I forgot so all I will say is I like this color and I've never had lobster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PROFOUND (AND VERY LATE) REPLY

      AHA! Another lobster virgin! I think this color would look good on you (even if it's not pink enough for your current liking).

      Delete
    2. the pink phase has evolved into a pinky-coral phase! I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHO I AM ANYMORE.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.