Thursday, July 19, 2012

I'm always in love: Ulta Professional Jet Lag

2012 is turning out to be a baller year for concerts -- this year, I've been fortunate enough to see some of my favorite performers: Heartless Bastards (again), Rufus Wainwright, and The Magnetic Fields. I even blogged about them here on Stuff. (You can click on the links to see the polishes I wore to those shows.)

Two days ago, I saw one of my favorite bands, Wilco, up at Wolf Trap in Vienna (northern Virginia). I've got to tell you that this band is responsible for one of my favorite albums of all time ... but I'll spill after we get through these swatches ...

... and this fun little factoid: I actually wanted to wear Essie Camera (Camera = "Kamera") to the show, but I could not for the life of me locate a bottle in a brick & mortar store. After a little bit of lyrics brainstorming and stash shopping, I settled on Jet Lag, from the Ulta's Professional polish line.

Jet Lag is a little more green than it appears here -- I will edit this post with better shots this weekend.




Two coats with SV.







This polish got some love from one of BF's favorite bartenders during dollar burger night (hi, Joanne!). It's only natural -- she's a purdy one, ain't she? I think Jet Lag is actually a bit complex for a creme polish: it looks like another aqua/turquoise/teal shade, right? But it's got a lot of depth, and compared to other BRIGHT colors (I can't think of any off the top of my head), it looks a little dusty and muted. It's almost like a metaphor for global traveling -- no matter how seasoned you are, jet lag wears you down, yo.

The formula on this polish was lovely creamy goodness. The only quibble I have with the application was due to the short brush stem of the Ulta Pro bottles. They remind me a lot of NARS polishes, if you need a comparison (I think the NARS brushes are a little less girthy). Jet Lag dried a little darker than its bottle color, but I that might be the top coat. I've had this on for five days with no chipping and minimal tip wear.

You can find Jet Lag at Ulta (the Professional line is in the prestige brands section), or online for $5 (this $5 price point is valid at the time of this post's publication -- I think usually it is/was $7.50). I purchased my bottle in a B2G1 free sale in 2010 (at least, I'm pretty sure it was 2010) along with Tickle Me, which I showed you in May, and another polish I have yet to try or blog.


Okay, Wilco.

I was a little nervous about buying a ticket, because one of my cousins who is a musician in every way save profession (does his jazz guitar degree make him legit?) and likes Wilco went to a concert a few years ago and told me they didn't sound that good live. As with everything, experiences and preferences on any given day are entirely subjective, so I took that into consideration but I decided to go for it anyway because Wilco is on my must-see list.

Besides, how many times do you get to listen to songs from one of your favorite albums outside in the summertime with one of your best friends???



Performing opening number "Dawned on Me"


We had a great time! Sure, it was beastly hot when we got there, but the temps cooled down right before Wilco came on. There was more tech than I thought there would be for a show like this, but Wolf Trap is one of the biggest venues I've been to in a long time. (We had actual seats, and didn't get drunk outside.) And any show that ends with a shirtless, sweaty mustachioed guy gyrating while he works the hell out of a cowbell is worth the price of admission. Yeah, of course there was one SUPER annoying drunk girl in our section, but she and her friends left before the halfway mark, which made everyone happy.

But you know what made ME really happy?



Oh you know, it's only one of my favorite Wilco songs ... with pretty colors.
In fact, this song "inspired" me to pick this polish.


Rob Gordon, the main character of "High Fidelity" (referencing the movie, not the novel here -- I think Rob had a different last name in the novel) constantly obsesses over his "top five" albums, break-ups, singles, movies, books, all the things. For me, the idea of such a list is pretty sacrilegious because five is such a low number, and my "top five" lists always look like a "top 10" (ask one of my former coworkers from Job Fail #1).

But if we had to name Rach's Top Five Favorite Albums, Wilco's 1999 release "Summerteeth" would be on the list. It's only fitting because "Summerteeth" has made my Top Five list on other occasions (Top Five Summertime Listening and Top Five '90s Albums). I love every track.

Here's "I'm Always in Love" -- as hipster as this is about to sound, I'm kinda sad that people are discovering this particular track via those HTC Evo commercials. To be fair, I did get into this album later in the game, in early 2004. I was taking acoustic guitar lessons (HAHAHA) and my instructor asked me what kind of music I was interested in learning to play. I was really into Wilco's "Hotel Yankee Foxtrot" album at the time, so then he recommended me "Summerteeth" (thank you, P.J.). For the record, I got more out of "Summerteeth" than the handful of chords I learned to summon. (Pun very much intended.)

Listen to the song and let me know if you can identify the lyrics that were responsible for this polish choice!





Jet Lag, the polish or the condition: questions, comments, concerns? (I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but I had THE WORST jet lag when I got back from the motherland in May -- I was out of commission for a week, plus bronchitis.) What albums are in your Top Five? For my fellow Wilco fans, have you seen them in concert and what is your favorite Wilco album? If you're interested in seeing the set list from the show, you can click on the official Wilco page here.

And if you haven't entered my blogaversary giveaway ... you should. For reasons.

6 comments:

  1. One of my fav range of blues to wear on fingernails esp. It works better on me than do bright teals or deep navys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so lovely! Had it been a little dustier or lighter, it would've been really bad on me and I would have gone running for my navys!

      Delete
  2. This is such a gorgeous blue-dusky and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I had this on for six days. Chippage happened on the sixth. It was sad. But the wear was AMAZEBALLS.

      Delete
  3. Oooh, that is gorgeous, and it looks great on you! Kinda reminds me of Revlon Chic, but brighter and lighter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naz! I'm going to re-do these pictures ... I'm not completely happy with them. And it definitely has that dusty thing Chic does -- I would say it's closer to Revlon Blue Slate from the ColorStay line!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.