Friday, July 6, 2012

OPI Don't Mess with OPI (a.k.a. OPI Your Palapa or Mine?)

I received the most recent Ulta mailer on June 25 (the $3.50 off $10 purchase coupon in this mailer is dated from July 1 until July 21). I'm a makeup n00b and I don't care about any non-nail products (with the exception of the occasional skincare product), so I just leaf straight through those mailers for their current polish offerings. You also may have seen this page, advertising 2 for $12 OPI Ulta summer exclusives.




Because I sometimes need things that are LIMITED EDITION OMG and I live 2.5 hours away from my favorite Ultas, I hoped someone in the nail community would make a thorough investigation of these polishes before I started trying to figure the logistics of how many I needed and how to obtain them.

Thanks to Alli of The Daily Varnish, I don't need any of these colors because they are repackaged polishes of existing OPIs from last year's Katy Perry, Texas, and Pirates of the Caribbean collections. I learned this reading her post on OPI "Ulta exclusive" Passport and a Smile (Sparrow Me the Drama), and her initial post on Meet Me at the Bonfire (Big Hair ... Big Nails). The official dupe list can be found here on TDV's Facebook page.

What you're about to see is one of the colors that piqued my interest. Its Ulta exclusive name is Your Palapa or Mine?, but the rest of us know this polish as Don't Mess with OPI, from the Spring 2011 Texas collection.




Three coats with SV.








I loved this polish! I have WAY too many green cremes, and yet I don't have anything like this in my stash. China Glaze Starboard was released at the same time OPI Texas was, so it's easy to see where more people would spring for the China Glaze price point. I did have Starboard, but I swapped it away after swatching it and realizing it looked like BALLS on my skin tone -- Don't Mess with OPI looks much, much better on me. It's not a dupe for Essie Pretty Edgy or OPI Jade is the New Black, though it falls closer to Jade is the New Black, only more grass green versus Jade's, well, jade. The formula and dry time on this one were really good -- you can get complete coverage and opacity in two coats, but you know how much I love three. (Bonus: If you'd like to see what I think is the most accurate swatch of this polish, I recommend Melissa's OPI Texas swatches over at The Daily Nail Reviews.)

The only bad thing I have to say about this is that it left green stains when I removed it. In all fairness, I was wearing a different base coat combo (Essie Feed Me + Gelous) instead of my usual stain-proof combo (Instant Artificials + Gelous). But the stains disappeared when I put on my beloved Orly Cutique and scrubbed my nails/fingers under warm water.

Don't Mess with OPI is one of the three cremes in the OPI Texas Spring 2011 collection. It's still ridiculously easy to find as it's a fairly recent release and it didn't get a lot of love last year (hence the repackaging, perhaps?). I've got two other unswatched/untried Texas polishes from my picks, as well as three more dupes for the OPI exclusives, if you'd like to see them. Also, I lied -- if I can't wait for my bottle of The One that Got Away to get to me, then I might have to obtain No Time for Postcards. Maybe. Once again, thanks to TDV for sharing the dupe list! (You should check out that blog, btw -- it's like a death trap, but in the nicest possible way.)

I know there are people who think the Ulta exclusive charade is really shady of OPI. To an extent, it is ... but that's what the Internet is for! Just like anything else, you gotta do your research. *shrug* Having said that, do you still have your eye on any of these colors? What about this one?


Sooooooo, tomorrow marks my one-year blogaversary, ERMAGERD YER GERS. I've got a few things to say about it (and some of my feels about it) in a post tomorrow, as well as another way to say something I don't say often enough here ... THANK YOU! :)

11 comments:

  1. I WANNA HEAR ALL YOUR FEELS. I didn't really notice this before, but does OPI repackage a lot of their stuff? I think it's weird but whatevs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I've noticed Orly's Dark Shadows collection is VERY SIMILAR to colors from previous releases. The red is a dupe for something, the off-white is Pure Porcelain, and there's the polish that looks like Royal Velvet ...

      Delete
  2. I think its criminal when nail polish companies repackage the same colors like they're new. It feels like a scam. I do love this green however. Happy One year a day early!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this color! I had the same staining issues...it damn near turned my cuticles blue :| Super cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh that sucks! Have you tried Orly Cutique? It's changed my freaking life!

      Delete
  4. Thanks to this post, I learned what a palapa is. I thought it was like a pupusa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDEK wtf a pupusa is. TIEM 2 GOOGLE-FU

      Delete
  5. I bought the green when the TX collection was released - then it sat there untried other than a tiny swatch on a clean piece of paper which I always do with every polish that comes home to me or with me. I started to wear this last fall on my toes. Agree it's got more depth than Starboard. I already had Jade is the New Black so I was iffy on this shade but now very glad I have it. I don't get staining from it - ummmh wonder if it's the base you use or don't use. I use 99.99999% of the time Orly Bonder as my base which is a base that has one of those pale beige shades to it that neutralized my own nail color. I never get staining when I use it even from dark blues and really bright, saturated reds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I have ya beat - I live more than 500 miles from an Ulta! I still have never been inside of one! I was too ill last time I had to be in a city that has some of them.

      Delete
    2. That blows chunks. I'm actually kind of glad I live far away from mine because I should just have stock in the company at this point -- when I used to live in that city, I was there on my dinner break from work at least twice a week.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.