Thursday, August 30, 2012

Comparison: Essie Master Plan vs. Deborah Lippmann Waking Up in Vegas

My mini blog sale is underway until next Tuesday, and there are quite a few items remaining! You can check it out using the "Stuff for Sale" tab atop the page, or by clicking here. Thanks for looking and thanks to those of you who bought something -- I appreciate it!


I posted my swatches of Essie Master Plan two weeks ago and offered to do a janky comparison between this and my beloved Deborah Lippmann Waking Up in Vegas, mostly because Master Plan garnered a lot of comparison to Waking Up in Vegas when the former was released last year. This post is for Naz and anyone else who might be interested in seeing the difference between those two polishes.

This is my first comparison post. I've been wanting to do these for a long time because I know they're incredibly helpful. However, I've got limitations -- I think I'm quite good at capturing polishes individually using my phone camera, but put two polishes close together and it gets really tricky for me. I'm hypercritical and I did the best I could, so please don't tear me apart. :/

Notes:
  • I found it easier to capture the difference between these two polishes using natural light indoors. It's not as obvious under a lamp, as you're about to see. I only took one picture under the lamp.
  • I used three coats of Master Plan (MP) on my middle and pinky fingers, and -- I think -- three coats of Waking Up in Vegas (WUIV) on my index and ring fingers.


Natural light (indoors):






Artificial light (indoors):



Basically, Waking Up in Vegas is a hair lighter and cooler than Master Plan. They're both good polishes, but you don't need both unless one works better with your complexion than the other.

I hope this was the tiniest bit helpful. I'd really like to step up my photography game on an actual point-and-shoot to get my comparisons where I'd like them so I can do more.

Sterling Meowlory Archer and I thank you for looking!


14 comments:

  1. No, your comparison is totally helpful! And I can certainly see the nuances between the two =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your kitty is soooooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL thank you, BF appreciates it as Sterling Meowlory is his kitty, not mine!

      Delete
  3. I some how missed all the 'talk' about MP being close to WUILV. I bought MP but oddly did not buy WUILV - say oddly as at that point I was buying every Deb. Lippmann polish out. Seeing them side by side in your really great photos makes me glad I did not pick up the Db Lip. I like the color in Essie here better...MP has more dept in the color...there is more white and a tish more beige in the Deb Lip one...and M never really one that looks good in any shades that are chalky white or lean toward that and have learned now to be really careful cause I wasted a ton of $ buying a lot that have a chalky white in them. Thanks for this post as I still will from time to time think of the Db Lipp here that is not in my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember if it was on the blogosphere or the MUA nail board, but I feel like those comparison questions were EVERYWHERE at the time.

      Delete
  4. Thank you!! ♥ Sadly, I think the Lippmann will be more flattering on me, since I look better in cooler greys. Don't beat yourself up though, I could definitely see the difference between the two! And, your cat is freaking adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome! xo I'm with you, cooler shades like this usually look better on me, so I'm keeping the Lippmann.

      Sometimes I worry that I miss my boyfriend's cat more than I miss my boyfriend. :/

      Delete
  5. What a great comparison! I really like Master Plan, especially cause I'm not willing to pay for DL polishes :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelby! Anyway, the Essie formula is MUCH nicer. At least for me.

      Delete
  6. They look nearly identical to me lol. Thanks for doing this comparison, I'm always on the lookout for good nudes and although I practically refuse to own any DL polishes (for the sheer fact that there is inevitably a dupe out there somewhere), I have had my eye on Waking Up in Vegas for quite a while now. So now, I'll be on the hunt for Master Plan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like DLs have a lot of dupes or close-dupes, but my favorite ones are totally worth the splurge. :)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic comparison! Very helpful- thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad you found it helpful! No problem :)

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.