Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Essie Master Plan

Not too long ago, I told you that my buddy girl Anna started her own nail blog, Business Lady Polish. She and I have been kicking around the idea of blogging about a nude polish this week. I suspect she's going to post about one of her favorite nudes, but I let her choose one from my untried nudes. The candidates were China Glaze Fast Track, Cult Nails Cruisin' Nude, and this polish, which she so happens to love.

I didn't love it, although I'm 99.9% sure it's a skin tone thing. For one, she's fairly complected. --So am I, compared to the rest of my family, but I'm also quite yellow with a little bit of olive tones. As a result, colors like Master Plan are tricky for me to pull off, no matter how much I love them.




Three coats with Essie Good to Go.







As you can see, Master Plan is a lovely greige-y, putty-like shade. Usually, this gets compared to Deborah Lippmann Waking Up in Vegas, but Master Plan leans a pinch warmer. (I can do a comparison post if you're interested. Anyone? Bueller?) The formula on this polish is absolute perfection, and I actually preferred it over the Lippmann (*gasp*). No wonder this is one of your favorites, Anna! It's gorgeous. I don't think I'll be keeping this polish because I only need ONE Essie greige, and it's Chinchilly (Chinchilly is darker and contains more green, which works better with the olive tones in my coloring).

Master Plan is an Essie retail exclusive that you can find at WalMart, Target, and usually at drugstores like CVS, RiteAid and Walgreens. I can't remember where my bottle came from, but I'm willing to bet I bought it last year at Target while I was on a "BUY ALL THE THINGS!" bender.

What do you think of Master Plan? What about Essie retail exclusives? Also, does it not suck when your friends' favorite shades look a bit off on you? For the record, Anna, I'm pretty sure you would blanch if you saw my newest favorite Essie nude. It's so icky, it's awesome. (That's what she said.)

Speaking of "master plans" and planners ...


(source: memegenerator)


Me too, Hannibal. Me too. Now I'm really going to need someone from Job Fail No. 1 to throw a Halloween party because BF /needs/ to be this guy for Halloween. (I didn't even know I wanted this until BF mentioned recently that he almost went to an '80s costume party as Hannibal Smith back in the day.) George Peppard never did a thing for me tbh, but Liam Neeson in the ten minutes I saw of "The A-Team" remake? HELLO, SIR.

16 comments:

  1. Awwww, I'm sorry you didn't care for it! But I think it looks lovely on you =) Chinchilly is pretty awesome...so I understand LOL.


    I WANNA KNOW WHAT IT ISSSSS! And icky nudes? Pfffffft.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's okie! Thank you ... and yes, I am a slut for Chinchilly. Ugh. It's TDF.

      I don't think you'll die of icky, but you might be like D:

      Delete
  2. Soooooo good. I always pick this up and think about buying it at Target because I love greige/putty colors but I just haven't yet.

    Yes, it does suck when your friends favorite shades look off on you but ALSO, here is me crying in a corner because you can't find it in your heart to love ALL THE GREYS. (Why don't you love Wild Orchid, Rachel, why don't you love meeeeeeeee.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU SHOULD GET THIS. I LOVE GREYS BB I PROMISEEEEEEEEEEEEE. One day I will find a grey you and I both love. ONE DAY. I'm bound to have one.

      <3

      Delete
  3. Aww another one going away to a better home? Darn greys and their trickiness. I still have a little stash of them and have to figure out which one I like best on my skin tone. Right now I'm liking Zoya Carey, which isn't a true grey but whatevs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I thought about Carey but it turned out Dove is better for me. Bless you, Zoya. :)

      Delete
  4. I really love this shade and I don't think it looks bad on you either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stephanie! It's a really great nude.

      Delete
  5. I also have 'trouble' finding the right shade in this kind of hue for my skin tone - you are not alone on that one. Some just make my hands look too red/pink. Hard as I want a light/med tone one and not always going for a darker one like OPI's I Don't Know Jaque type. Some are too chalky white, some too pinky. I have this one and know it's in my untried huge stash as I ran out of gas looking for the right one of these about the time this one came out!

    Oh and I too heart Liam Neeson too! Sadly with the passing of his wife a few yrs back, he is a bachelor again and I think unattached at that. Could be why he has made sooooo many movies of late - buried himself in work after the loss of his beloved Natasha.

    Glad to know others have hit those 'buy everything' in the collection modes. I went through a good 2 yrs of that before hitting a huge wall I am at now where I have soooo many, sooo many untried, sooo many I am sure 'I cannot wears' in there too!

    "What about Essie retail exclusives? - you write - well seems they are goners far too fast. Those little displays that hold maybe 3 of each shade are ridiculous. That's my big beef with getting retail exclusives now from Essie - the drug stores don't have 'stock in the back' like say Sally's or a beauty supply has often or the ability to at least tell you if they can or are getting more. When those 3 bottle of 'retail exclusives' are gone then good luck in my area where I live finding another store even since I am in a semi rural area - to find the missing shade(s) I would need to commit to drive 60+ miles each way just to see if the shade is in somewhere else...and forget calling ahead. Drugstore chains don't have anyone who really knows the beauty depts these days. That kind of service and ownership of a job position in that end of retail is long gone. Peeps working beauty are also covering 90% of the rest of the store. So yes, I find the ltd retail releases frustrating. The Yogaga collection was yo gone - gone soon as it hit my Rite Aide - only the lavender one was left less than half day after they put it out I was told. OK - guess I did not need any but the blue one I got and now find it's not a blue I can wear from that collection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he's gotta feed his kids, right? Plus, we get "Taken 2" ... so that isn't ALL bad. I forgot how much ass-kicking he did in the '90s. Hello, "Rob Roy"!

      I guess the displays you encounter are usually gone faster because they're drugstore displays, which I think are a little smaller than something Target would have and you said you didn't have a Target near you. Shucks.

      Delete
  6. Another grey you're not wild about that I think looks fa-bu-lous (Men On Film) on you! Grr, "exclusive" polishes! Y U NO available in Hong Kong?!

    Never watched 'The A-Team' on TV, but the movie attained ridiculous levels of awesomeness. It made me love America, in that "crazy, drunk relative you have a blast with at the bbq...until he gets totally s**tfaced, hits on the wrong people's girlfriends, and falls asleep in the pool" kind of way.

    Neeson as Hannibal? *le swoon*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my lord, Men on Films!!! I'd COMPLETELY forgotten about that until you mentioned it. Damn. LMAO.

      Really? Huh. BF is the biggest "A-Team" fan I know and I think he fell asleep watching it ... I say that because I fell asleep first. And to be fair, we had just completed a 7? 8?-hour drive.

      Delete
  7. This is one gorgeous nude! I really don't reach for these as often as I should-and if this is sitting next to navigate her later at Target per my earlier comment, it's going home with me as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fingers, hope you found it!

      Delete
  8. WAT. Retail exclusive? BOO. All the Essies I already own are in the salon bottles. I'd love to see a comparison between this and the Lippmann though, if you're up to it! I've been waffling on this color for a while, not sure if it'd work for me since I'm also really yellow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YUUUUUUUUUUP. Sure! I took some (questionable) comparison photos last week so I'll post them soon for you. :) I think something like Yogaga or Sand Tropez looks a lot better on folks like us, and Case Study might work for you too.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.