Thursday, August 23, 2012

Maybelline Color Show Twilight Rays

In the past few months, Maybelline has added a new line of Color Show nail polishes. You've probably seen them in various drugstore displays and even on other blogs, but never on my shorties, so here we go.

I wasn't drawn to most of the shades -- let's face it, this happens after a few years of collecting -- and Twilight Rays was the only one that intrigued me. I have grown fond of sparkly black polish and I love glass flecks, so for $2 and change, it seemed like a worthy investment. (And this line of thinking is how I often find myself getting in trouble when shopping for a lot of things. You don't even know how many times I've had to talk myself out of buying dresses when they're 100% cotton AND machine-washable.)




Two coats with SV.









Does Twilight Rays remind of you of any others in terms of color? I'm getting a little bit China Glaze Wagon Trail and Hello Kitty Night Sparkle, both of which have the same black base, only the shimmer particles in those polishes aren't as large as this one's. But the gold shimmer somehow lends it an almost olive tint. --Now that I think about it, I wonder if this might be close to OPI Live and Let Die, from the James Bond-themed holiday collection for this year. (OPI LaLD seems to have a different-colored base, though.)

This polish is rather pigmented and had a good consistency, not too thick or too thin to work with. When you're applying, wait in between coats ... I didn't, which is probably why I have a wee bit of cuticle drag on my pointer finger. This dried super quickly with SV. I can't tell you how this wore, because I removed it right after taking photos.

I've seen the Maybelline Color Show polishes primarily at CVS, Wags and RiteAid. Back in June, however, some of these Color Show displays were tucked away at some WalMarts, which is where I'm 90% sure I got mine ... I think it was on the same day I was on my Sally Hansen CSM Cerise bender.

I liked Twilight Rays, but I didn't LOVE it. I don't know why. Something about it just isn't working for me. (Y U SO HARD 2 PLEASE, RACHEL?!?) For the price, though, I'm not overly disappointed. I definitely can see myself picking up another polish from this line (specifically, Styled Out) when Low Buy (For My Life) 2012 dies down.

Do you have Twilight Rays, Styled Out, or any others from the Maybelline Color Show line? What do you think of this one? Does it remind you of any others? And when will I ever find a black glass fleck that I will love as much as I loved OPI Baby It's Coal Outside??? SO MANY QUESTIONS.

17 comments:

  1. This is the only core Color Show that caught my eye as well. I saw Scrangie's swatches and they won me over. Bummer that you aren't too thrilled by it, but I think it looks great on you!

    They had an LE display I saw at Rite Aid the other day and I also picked up the color called "Downtown Brown" and it is seriously amazeballs. It's a brown polish with green shimmer, reminiscent of Cover Girl Chocolate Mint. It definitely impressed me more than any colors from the core line did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Scrangie's swatches are awesome. Thank you, Jacqui! You'll have to swatch Downtown Brown very soon -- I'd love to see it on you. :)

      Delete
  2. The Color Show polishes are not very interesting to me, but I got sucked into buying one at Wal-Mart too because of it's cheap price. I got Denim Dash, which I guess is the lighter version of Styled Out. Overall for the price point, it's nice. The glass flecks were pretty. Mine was a little thick, so I added a drop of thinner to it. I think I may get a couple more, but only the unique looking colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see myself recommending these polishes to people looking to build their collection. But for us ... ONLY THE UNIQUE ONES!

      Delete
  3. Incidentally, this the only Color Show I wanted as well! Although...I liked the blues that Scrangie swatched too.

    Mebbe I'll just wait for Live and Let Die then. I'm a sucker for 007.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I think Denim Dash is too light for me but Styled Out could do me just fine.

      The base for that OPI is a little more green, I think, so it's worth checking out when it arrives! :)

      Delete
  4. 100% cotton never means machine wash AND machine dry! Of course I wash my 100% cotton in machine - always on cold - but never ever into the dryer. Most of my tops no matter the fabrication, they all hang to dry...I have a long torso and even loosing 1" is critical - I was a mess when tops were 24" standard!

    Liking this shade a lot. I don't think it was on the display when I saw it locally - the only one I have seen of this collection...I did pick up one of the 2 shades called Denim something... I got the lighter of the 2 shades called Denim 'something.' Not the best formula, but it's worth like you said $2 and change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't say it had to machine dry -- years of renting have taught me to hang dry everything since dryers are so different anyway, esp. older vs. newer models.

      The formula on this one was fine. The tiny brush and brush cap made it a wee bit awkward, though.

      Delete
  5. Oh...and forgot to add - I also am one who is madly in love with Baby It's Coal Outside. I have a bunch of favs from that Toyland OPI holiday collection (2008)... one of my all time fav red creams (Red wagon) is from that collection. We all have to find out 'best' red and what a search that can be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so in love with this! I think I need it...for the price...why not right?!? lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. $2 and change? I wonder if that's a Walmart thing or a regional thing, because I've only ever seen them for $4 at Walgreens/Rite Aid/Fred Meyer, seeing as I never go to Walmart except now I think I have to because frozen alcoholic beverages. Okay, Walmart, you win.

    Anyway, this is the only one that's caught my eye of the new Color Shows but I did just see a post on Grape Fizz Nails about Wined & Dined and I think I want that one, too, except I can't buy anything until I'm settled in the new apartment because I already have no freakin' clue how I'm going to move all my nail polish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, there are no Targets near me that are open for 24 hours. So ... advantage, WalMart. :/

      I'm moving one Helmer drawer (or two) per car load. Polish is not the most important thing I need to move. Sadly, I am busy trying to figure out which seasons of "Friday Night Lights" and which BBC period dramas are worthy of "emergency status viewing."

      Delete
  8. Ooooh very nice! Reminds me of OPI DS Mystery, but with a black base instead of a blackened purple base. I haven't actually tried any of the Color Shows though, since the colors either didn't interest me, or I've already got colors that are close enough. Looks fantastic on you though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Naz! And I pretty much thought the same thing about DS Mystery and ChG Midtown Magic, both of which have plummier bases. I'm not sure why the black is totally throwing me off!

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.