Tuesday, August 7, 2012

NEW: FingerPaints Fall-ing for You

I'm back from an unusually relaxing and social weekend. My friend and his new wife's wedding party was lovely! It was so nice to catch up with some other friends and fellow journo grads again while Yuengling and red velvet wedding cake were consumed, and I did not catch the bouquet (whew). I also got to see another dear friend's wedding dress before we hung out on Friday night; on Sunday, I went on a picnic at the reservoir and a certain little one-year-old kitty got some new toys for his birthday. I don't know. It just was a really nice weekend. --I ended up wearing Deborah Lippmann Between the Sheets on both my fingers and toes, but I'm saving that polish for another post since it is just THAT fantastic.

Spurred on by my unusually good mood, I put a few dents into Low Buy (For My Life) 2012. I ordered three RBLs I've been wanting, scooped up three of the new fall FingerPaints polishes (with a coupon), and picked up L'Oréal Brit Invasion. (I think this should be it until I am tempted by Dior Shadow. DAMMIT, Y SO PRETTEH??) I can make an exception for seasonal FingerPaints polishes because unlike China Glaze, Essie, Orly, Zoya and OPI, they're only available for a short time and at one store (Sally's). I've had FingerPaints regret before. It's not a fun time.

I was going to pass on this color, but I have a weakness for jewel-toned metallics, particularly FingerPaints teals. Say what you want about that company, but it knows how to make some seriously pigmented, vivid teals. Here's Fall-ing for You from the limited edition Fall of Surprises collection.




Two coats with SV.








Hello, jewel-toned teal. Maybe it's not super unique, but this one is a nice deep medium metallic with a pinch of frostiness. Just a pinch. I feel like this stops the color from appearing too blackened. It's so perfect for fall and winter. I would say this is a great summer-to-fall transition color. I have a shirt and a cardigan in this teal that I wear a lot around this time of year. :)

The formula on Fall-ing for You is a little thick, and you might have to swipe some polish off your brush back into the bottle before you apply it on the nail. If you're careful, you even might be able to get opaque coverage in one coat -- that's how pigmented this polish is. I went with two to cover up some accidental bald spots and pooling. No matter how many metallic polishes I use, I still apply like a derp sometimes. Other than that, it dried quickly with SV. I wore this for four days with barely visible tip wear, which is pretty baller for a FingerPaints polish (to me). That's gotten me pumped to try the other two Fall of Surprises polishes I've got.

I had every intention of passing this one on account of already owning far too many teal shimmers/metallics that I barely wear, but the name sucked me in because of this ...





THIS SONG. THIS ALBUM. UGH. FEELINGS.

Opinions on this polish? Fall FingerPaints? Favorite FP teals? Favorite Weezer songs/albums of the past? I haven't listened to anything they've released since "Maladroit" back in '05 and even though I don't think I'd be too into their more recent stuff and I'd hate half the people who'd go now, Weezer remains on my concert bucket list due to their excellence in the '90s, the decade of my youth.

I know, I know. Seriously, listen to the entire "Pinkerton" album and run a Google search on "weezer pinkerton yellow fever" -- while this didn't bother me back in the '90s because I knew I would never grow up into a trophy Asian girlfriend, this equally amuses and bothers me now that I'm older. I can't NOT side-eye the hell out of dudebros who are into Asian girls. The mentality behind that fetish is just really disturbing, possibly even entitled and colonialist. I don't have time for that shit. (Take note, this does not lessen my desire to go on a Weezer cruise.)

O-kay. I did not mean to turn this post about nail polish into a mini Tumblr-worthy rant, but yeah. Now you know how I feel about that. Fall exclusives are fun!

15 comments:

  1. Oooh I just picked this up!!! I love the name, and I love Finger Paints polish! And like you, I've passed on a few polishes before and I'm so mad at myself, I can't find them anywhere!! Will never make that mistake again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether it's department or drugstore, limited edition regret of any kind is the worst. It's just a fact.

      Delete
  2. Dudebros who are into Asian girls are creepy as hell. I had a boss a while ago who was 25 and dating a 16-year-old Japanese girl. PUKING FOREVER.

    Also, when dudebros say they are "really into Asian girls" they usually just mean "Japanese girls and only Japanese girls because all of Asia is like Japan, right? It's not a heterogeneous country! It's all just like an anime!"

    gurl u can b my trophy asian gurlfran any time

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, ew. I would be puking forever, too. GROSS. I don't know. This merits a Twitter conversation, I think.

      Also, I have no idea because some guys will say that and then they're really into Vietnamese or Korean girls, too. (Or, just about as bad, they're into the cooking.) I can't rip on /everybody/ because I always turn my head when I hear about half-Asian guys ... I guess my only saving grace is that my thing isn't CREEPY? But yeah. Ugh.

      I'll always <3 you long time!

      Delete
  3. This one gets into the range of teals I can wear - teals that are non cream finish I should say. Some reason I look horrible in lighter shimmer/metallic teal finishes - yet I can wear teal in clothing in any shade. Put it on my toes or fingers and it looks horrible. Odd as I wear all other blue polishes except powder blue, that does the same thing only worse I think. I passed this right by when I was in Sally's last thinking I would not wear it. Now having 2nd thoughts! Cannot wait to see your blog on DL Between the Sheets - been a biggie fav of mine since it came out - but I am a huge fuchsia/magenta fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have ChG Rodeo Fanatic or even Misa Quirky Smile, you don't need this. Those are close enough!

      I love that Lippmann so much. It's probably my favorite Lippmann of all time. :)

      Delete
  4. Even though you say your barely wear them, I feel like jewel toned teals are so "you" for some reason! They just look kickass on you! Also, PINKERTON! This is by and far my favorite Weezer album and it never gets enough love. And while I've never really given much thought to Rivers' yellow fever, I will not be able to stop thinking about it next time I listen to this album!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny! But I totally get it. Thank you! <3

      Not sure if it is this or Blue Album for me, but I know this one wasn't the bigger success. Dude, all I've ever heard from him is yellow fever, LMAO. That might be why I am Team Brian Bell now????

      Delete
  5. This is a gorgeous teal, although I don't think I would wear this that often. I'm not too into jewel tones. I did stop by Sally's today and almost picked up Fall of Surprises, but managed to put it down since I had a specific list of things to get. Hopefully it's still there next time I stop by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love jewel tones. They're so basic but for some reason they look really good on me? :)

      I hope it's there next time for you, too! I think you'd like it. It's got pretty good coverage, more than I was expecting actually.

      Delete
  6. Oh this Weezer album is GOLD! It brings up sooo many feelings for me too! Love this polish too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right?! Worth it alone for "El Scorcho"! <3 Thanks, Anne!

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to see Take it or Leaf it in swatches. I saw a different swatch where it looks way more gray on the nail than I expected. Hoping it was lighting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no, Becca! I passed on that one!!! But it was like a mix of China Glaze Swing Baby and Orly Luxe, just a tad smokier. Does that help? :/

      Delete
  8. I just wanted to let you know that I love your blog and I have chosen you for the Liebster Blogging Award! Everything you need to know in order to get the award plus the picture of the award to post on your Blog is here on my own personal blog: http://polishimpressrepeat.blogspot.com/2012/08/liebster-blog-award.html
    Thank you for putting your hard work into your blog and sharing it with me and your other readers. Congratulations and have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.