Monday, August 20, 2012

Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Jack O

Last Thursday night, I found myself wanting to wear something orange. I blame this entirely on Anna because she texted me during her hunt for Halloween drugstore displays, and this polish is THE most perfect shade of pumpkin/sweet potato/carrot orange. Now that I have my very own Costco card, I am gonna be buying their pumpkin pies ON THE REGULAR this fall. This is dangerous, considering Costco's proximity to me ... ohhhhhhh, shit.




Three coats with SV.







The formula on Jack O is perfect -- on the thinner side of perfect, if that makes sense, though I think that's due to its satin-y finish. You don't have to work too quickly when applying the polish because it just glides on the nail. I haven't tried out any of my OCCs in the new bottles, but Jack O is in the older bottle with an older brush, which reminded me a little bit of a thinner Essie brush. I recommend using three coats; you can get it opaque in two, but you get more color depth with three. This dried OK with SV; HOWEVER, it's still a little tacky after approximately half an hour. I don't mind that because I usually put on a DVD or surf the internet while I'm letting a mani dry, but I know some people aren't into that or aren't willing to wait that long.

According to the OCC site, the brand is 100% vegan and cruelty-free, which is really cool if that's something that's important to you. I say that because most of us polish aficionadas tend to be equal opportunity buyers and collectors -- sort of like how non-B3F polishes continue to have tons of appeal for us.

I can't find any information about when this polish was released, so I'm guessing it was either limited edition or discontinued last year. If you're interested in checking out OCC's other polishes and products (lip tars are what they seem to be best known for making), you can peruse their site. Polishes are $8 USD each. I bought this on sale in December (I *think*) when OCC was changing to their newer, current bottles.

I don't think I'll be keeping Jack O -- as wonderful as the formula and application were, I don't know that I would reach for it again. Also, it might be better on someone whose skin tone isn't quite so yellow. I guess I should stick to true oranges and slightly redder oranges. Ah, well.

What do you think of Jack O? Is it NOT the perfect pumpkin shade? (I dare you to find one that's better.) Are you getting excited for fall, too? You know I am, but at the same time, I feel like Costco could have waited a little longer to put out the Halloween stuff. I don't need to be seeing kids' Halloween costumes at the end of July, smh. Let me have my summer!

26 comments:

  1. I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ready for fall (yes, that ready). The heat is bumming me out, man. I was never a big Starbucks pumpkin latte person though. I DO love peppermint mochas though. Oh that is a super weakness.

    I am wondering if you have tried any other OCC polishes and if you like them? I have been obsessed with their Lip Tars (Memento is the one I'd get next) and I kind of want them all. But I was eyeing their polishes also and some of the colors look neat. Of course, when I discover them I have too many bills to pay >:( Damn you, real life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have three OCC polishes (Blackboard, Swamp Thing, and Ghostly) and I love them all.

      Delete
    2. I think it all depends if the barista can do it. I've gone to several Sbucks in D.C. and basically felt like I was drinking coffee grounds, it was so disgusting.

      In my effort to work through my stash, I'll be posting the rest of my OCCs this fall!

      Delete
  2. This is so wonderful. I'm sure I have a polish this pumpkin-y, but I can't think of one right now.

    I too am longing for fall. I make a pumpkin cream cheese that is really hard to not eat with a spoon. I had my first Starbucks Pumpkin Latte last fall and I thought it was only okay. Pumpkin pies are my favorite pie :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might like Starbucks Gingerbread Lattes better...seems folks tend to like that one when they think the pumpkin ones are so so.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Julie! OMFG, I loooooooooove pumpkin pie so much. Like, I begged my BF to bring me the pumpkin pie leftovers from the Thanksgiving dinner at his work, LOL.

      Delete
  3. This is so perfect, I love it!!

    Oh fall. I can't wait for your leather boot-thick sweater-scarf-blazer perfectness. It's my favourite season, always has been. Although, I will be sad to see the school supply displays disappear =)

    Also...I can't wait for an abundance of sweet potato pies.

    I've been wanting to try Swamp Thing for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only downside to fall is that I'm never going to find the perfect pair of boots. I like boots that are flat, and you know I have humongous calves, so I can't find anything I like, everrrrr. (The only pair I had was a cheap pair of Steve Maddens, and the faux leather definitely met its end one night when I didn't know I walked in a puddle.)

      I'll make sure to swatch Swamp Thing for you :)

      Delete
  4. I am loving this color! It is the kind I reach for over and over. And Are there really halloween things out already?????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - Halloween things out already? Yikes! I so don't like all the Halloween things - I know, most folks get all goofy over all that stuff - to me, it seems like a waste of $..but I don't like to do Halloween decos and Halloween motif nails/clothing is a 1 day - 1 shot thing for me. I donated all Halloween anything I had a couple yrs ago. Odd as it's my b'day on Halloween - ya would think I would be goofy for the celebrations/adornments - NOT!

      Delete
    2. Yep. I saw them at the Costco in the West End. I was like, "Are you fucking serious?!?!"

      Delete
  5. wait what!??? Costco has nail polishes???? oh no!!!!! I'm not listening!! I'm not listening!!! my wallet is hiding!!
    This color is GORGEOUS!!! And I'm still not listening!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gosia!

      And in case you didn't get my email-- just pumpkins pies at Costco, no polishes. You can bring your wallet back out. :)

      Delete
  6. Dude, getting my own Costco card felt like becoming an adult. Except that I never go to Costco because it leads to poor life choices, like buying bulk cheese which I will never be able to finish before it gets moldy.

    I am so excited for fall. I really hate the summer and I'm so ready for it to be done with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny - I am not a fan of summer that much either. I live in a little seaside fishing town that is over run with tourists in the summer. We need them to stay on the map - but...I don't like the heat of summer at all. It's OK on the coast but move inland even 10 miles and it's over 100! UGH...

      I did not re-new my Costco card the past 2 yrs...like you, living alone the food products are usually not a good choice for me at all...so now I only pay for a card if I need to get a new TV or major purchase that I have scoped out will be best to buy there. I save a ton of impulse buying not having my own card!

      Delete
    2. I can get other things ... like mixed greens and fruits (which I WILL eat), HUGE rolls of saran wrap, and supah cheap DVDs to add to my ever-growing collection. Also, pumpkin pie. Mmmmmmm.

      Delete
  7. I only have one word for this polish: NEED.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love shades in this range...I mean I really LOVE 'em! I like t-shirts in this color too. This reminds me a little of OPI and Apple Pie - or is it maybe more like OPI's Ginger Bells? I always need to do side by sides to tell - I don't have any OC polishes...am there with you on pumpkin pie or anything pumpkin. I just had my last of the Pumpkin Spice coffee I had left from Green Mountain coffee that was left from last yrs I got tons of...almost time for it to come out again as well as time for Pumpkin Spice Lattes to show up at coffee bars around! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Ginger Bells so much, despite the fact that it looks like something died on me.

      Delete
  9. Usually orange is the unloved color in my collection...but THIS! I love this orange! It's not too bright, it is the perfect pumpkin shade as you said! I adore it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right??! It's awesome, I wish OCC hadn't discontinued it/will bring it back for everyone else.

      Delete
  10. This orange is gorgeous! It is absolutely perfect for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a perfect orange! I don't have any OCC polishes. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should get some next time they're on sale! They're quite nice.

      Delete

Thank you for checking out my little nail blog! I do read and appreciate your comments and/or feedback, although it might take me a few days to get back to you. Time-sensitive inquiries should be directed to my e-mail address (rachswatched@gmail).

Please be polite and respectful when responding to others' comments in a post; if you are rude, I will delete your comment and Hannibal Lecter will eat you. Please don't leave spam comments with blog links -- it's tacky and I don't do it. Neither should you.